« Panthers sign free agent kicker | Main | Panthers place tenders on 2 backups »

March 08, 2012

Thomas Davis looking forward to playing Saints

Panthers linebacker Thomas Davis is not real happy with the New Orleans Saints – and it has nothing to do with the bounty system that has the Saints' in the crosshairs of the league office.

While an NFL investigation found Saints players were paid for knocking opponents out of games, Davis is upset the Saints didn't take their own players out of a Week 17 game against the Panthers last season.

With the Saints hoping to secure the No. 2 seed in the NFC playoffs and Drew Brees trying to hold off Tom Brady for the single-season passing record, Sean Payton left Brees in until 9:29 remained in the Saints' 45-17 victory at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome.

The Saints did not score again after Brees' 9-yard touchdown pass to Darren Sproles with 12:15 left in the fourth quarter. Backup quarterback Chase Daniel attempted three passes, but none were long throws.

Still, Davis said during a podcast on the Panthers' Web site this week the Saints showed Carolina no respect. (Davis' comments on the Saints' game are near the 14-minute mark on Panthers Pulse.)

That's a game that I definitely have marked on my calendar for this year,” Davis said. “With the Saints going in and playing the way that they did and having guys in with a big lead that late in the game. You can say they were shooting for records or whatever. I don't care. That's disrespectful to me. I'm definitely looking forward to playing the New Orleans Saints this year.”

Davis was not asked about his contract situation on the podcast. But the fact that he was featured on the team's Web site makes it seem pretty clear he'll be with the Panthers again.

With Davis recovering from his third ACL surgery on his right knee, the Panthers are not going to give Davis his $8 million bonus next week. But they are expected to restructure the deal Davis received last summer following the lockout.

In an interview with the Observer last month, Davis said he was confident he and the Panthers would work something out.

During the podcast, Davis said he thinks the Panthers' first draft priority should be defense. Davis said he hopes the Panthers will consider drafting Memphis defensive tackle Dontari Poe after the 346-pound Poe's impressive showing at the combine.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on March 8, 2012 at 12:36 PM | Permalink

Comments

As much as I want to agree with Davis here, I can't. If we didn't want the Saints to run up the score...then we should have fielded a defense that could STOP SOMEBODY. I have a feeling that problem shall be rectified this year however. Good luck making it back T. Davis, I'd love to see you back out there.

Posted by: anon | Mar 8, 2012 1:23:43 PM

yea i've never been a fan of complaining about the other team playing guys too long or going too hard or when guys dunk at the end of basketball games.

it's part of the game. complain when they do things disrespectful to the game, not just because they are playing the game well.

i'd circle that date way more because of the roman harper hit. assuming harper is on their roster this year, that's a dude that DESERVES a bounty on him.

Posted by: charlottean | Mar 8, 2012 1:32:12 PM

I have to disagree with Davis here, as the first poster said. If he wanted them to stop playing and running up the score, then the Panthers defense should have done something about it. They get paid to score and they did, good for them. I do agree with Davis on the Poe thing, I wouldnt mind drafting him, just wish we could trade back a few spots to do it. I think he is a little too raw as a player to take at 9 but I wouldnt complain if we took him there.

Posted by: Rick | Mar 8, 2012 1:39:02 PM

You have a great young head coach that came up through the ranks coaching defense. I remember Ron as a pro. He nearly matched Singletary in intensity. Poe is perfect. I could not believe my eyes watching the combine. So big, so fast and so athletic. I'd love to see that much athleticism on our D-line. I seem to remember another D-lineman on our team that was equally athletic and was a pretty good basketball player. That turned out well for us. I praying it's Dontari...

Posted by: Panther Fan Dave | Mar 8, 2012 2:07:34 PM

Yup -- as a pro, complaining about reflects poorly on him and the on the Panthers. This is the NFL. If you don't like it, stop them. This has nothing to do with N.O. 'disrespecting' anyone.

If that fires him up, fine, but you can't whine about it in public.

Posted by: MTB | Mar 8, 2012 2:17:00 PM

Hey Davis, do you want some cheese and crackers to go with that wine? C'mon man, I'm sure you have been in the same situation at some point in your career. Get over it.

On a side note, I truly hope you're able to take to the field again. Enjoyed watching you play and it would be a pity if you're remembered for the injuries and not the plays. You're a heck of a player and hopefully, there's something left in that tank of yours.

Posted by: Tvan | Mar 8, 2012 2:17:57 PM

If TD can stay healthy, there will be plenty of Aint's players hurtin after that game. Can guarantee it!

Posted by: Mike P | Mar 8, 2012 2:19:44 PM

Personally if I had been on the team that day and Brees was still in the game I would have taken a couple of penalities for late hits and knocked him out.

Posted by: Panther Fan | Mar 8, 2012 2:23:17 PM

Not an original sentiment here, but if you don't want the other team to run up the score on you, then play defense or keep your offense on the field for more than 3 plays at a time. In other words DON'T SUCK!!!

Posted by: Bob | Mar 8, 2012 2:59:15 PM

I rmmeber when they Saints wuh they Aints man dat wuh sum good tines bo sho stank out

Posted by: Stankonya | Mar 8, 2012 3:12:09 PM

Let's see, what shows less respect for your opponent? Keeping the starters in late, or pulling them and assuming your backups (or backup backups) can still beat them?

Posted by: John | Mar 8, 2012 3:14:58 PM

What bothers me from that Saints game is the unnecessary that Cam Newton when one of the Saints player Push Cam outbound after Cam had already throw the ball away

Posted by: John | Mar 8, 2012 3:17:15 PM

the offense is out there to score. the defense is out to stop scoring. the defense didn't. quit whining & play better d. what did you want the saints to do? take 3 knees then punt? i'm a panthers fan but i get so tired of defenses from ANY team crying that the other team "ran up the scoreboard". get over it & play better or shut up.

Posted by: tim | Mar 8, 2012 3:24:38 PM

Cry me a river. Carolina should have put a half decent defense on the field last year and that wouldn't have happened.

Posted by: Jason | Mar 8, 2012 3:25:40 PM

Why do Panther fans read into things so much? Dude wasn't whining, he was just hinting at what alot of people already know. The Saints are a bunch of punks. They ran up the score on the Panthers, just like they did to the Colts earlier in the year. Every other team would've sat their players in the 4th of that game and if you disagree, you are a complete moron. He's proably just using it at motivation anyways, like most athletes do. Not that they should need motivation against the Aints, Harper should have a big old bullseye on his chest from last year anyways. But he probably won't be playing must this year, along with the rest of the defense.

Posted by: Mike P | Mar 8, 2012 4:15:16 PM

I like it! It's called having an attitude and creating motivation out of nothing! The Saint's got an ass beating coming! For what? I have no idea! Just beat that ass!

Posted by: joe cool | Mar 8, 2012 4:26:40 PM

Cry baby...shut up and get your team to do something about it. Lost all respect you whiner.

Posted by: Johny Dollar | Mar 8, 2012 4:29:56 PM

Don't get mad, get even.

Posted by: Real Panther | Mar 8, 2012 4:43:24 PM

Thomas has been spending too much time with Beason at the local strip clubs. That or he has taken too many hits to the head. It was the Panthers problem to fix in that game. If you are not man enough to fix it, you don't cry likle a girl when you get the he(( beaten out of you. Man up Thomas, or better yet take your broke down azz home!!

Posted by: Marco Esquandolis | Mar 8, 2012 4:59:58 PM

Draft Poe and go after Mario Williams in FA. Grab a nice corner w/ the #8 pick in 2nd round

Posted by: chanrock | Mar 8, 2012 5:38:15 PM

Haha! You're professionals just like us. We brought it and yall didn't. Haha! Stop complaining. Yall almost beat us in October. Remember?

Posted by: Geaux Saints | Mar 8, 2012 5:57:46 PM

Those little Saints. How could they be taking money shots on opponents, like for example Brett Favre, when they left him black & blue from neck to toe from late hits. Rumor has it the coaches needed to take out loans to pay all the bounties collected in the NFL final. Maybe I will offer 50 cent and his posse to take out Brew Drees. I heard he has weak knees, bad shoulder and a dislocated neck...or will after. Davis only needs one hit against the Saints...late, from behind...helmet to helmet. give him his $8MM

Posted by: terry bradshaw | Mar 8, 2012 6:12:49 PM

Im looking forward to TD playing a whole season, stop robbing the bank.

Posted by: Bob Smith | Mar 8, 2012 7:33:28 PM

I hate to say it, but he's done. That knee is not going to hold up, he's this team's Dan Connor.

Posted by: Zon | Mar 8, 2012 8:19:27 PM

I love Davis, but if we don't play them week 1 he will never play them. He needs to be a back up or gone if we get better next year.

Posted by: wayne | Mar 8, 2012 8:23:52 PM