« Panthers pick up Alexander, Adams in 4th round | Main | Undrafted Wallace making big jump to NFL »

April 28, 2012

Panthers draft Coastal Carolina CB Josh Norman

The Panthers stayed fairly close to home with their fifth-round pick in the NFL draft Saturday, using it on Coastal Carolina cornerback Josh Norman.

Norman, a 6-3, 203-pounder from Greenwood, S.C., is expected to compete for playing time in a defensive secondary that struggled last season. Norman will likely battle Captain Munnerlyn and Brandon Hogan for the starting cornerback position opposite Chris Gamble.

A finalist in 2011 for the Buck Buchanan award, given annually to the top defensive back in the Football Championship Subdivision, Norman finished his career with 13 interceptions and 35 pass breakups. He led the Chanticleers with 62 tackles last season.

Posted by Observer Sports on April 28, 2012 at 02:38 PM | Permalink

Comments

The other article on this site and the Sports Network stats have Norman listed at 6-0 and 197 lbs. Wish the stats in this article were the real deal, a la Doug Evans of old.

Posted by: NCBigdog | Apr 28, 2012 3:27:15 PM

Congrat's to Hurney & Rivera of the team's picking in the top 10 we have had the WORST draft ,if not Worst overall Kuechly was a good player ,but we have Beason at that position ,so he's gonna be Dan Conner a backup 1st rnd pick...Nice ,and no DT yet ,and the rest of the picks were reach's at finding gold for coal sheesh worst than last year.

Posted by: Cam's Entourage | Apr 28, 2012 4:03:01 PM

Lol, bill polian just said we had the best draft of any team so far. Had this kid graded as a 3rd round pick. I find you fools funny.

Posted by: Chill | Apr 28, 2012 4:05:39 PM

Cam's entourage, what an idiotic post!!!! Do you know nothing about football? Have you not read any of the follwup from Rivera about plans for using Kuechly, especially amid the concerns regarding TDs recovery from ACL injury? What a joke of a fan you are!!!!!

Posted by: Rivera's Rowdies | Apr 28, 2012 4:11:18 PM

ended up being a really good draft...again, I'll hate them not having a 3rd rd pick next year, regardless of how good Adams plays, but still a good draft (after looking suspect for a second)

Posted by: PantherFan | Apr 28, 2012 4:12:35 PM

This is a fulfilling draft so far, we can't get everybody..I like the trade for 2 4th rd picks..I hate losing a 3rd but hey we had to make for missing this year 3 with an early 4th..I can't wait to see this lineman go, I got a good filling about him..now draft drew butler in the 6th rd..he's a punter if u don't know..

Posted by: Prowler | Apr 28, 2012 4:31:37 PM

Oh yeah I like this corner..nice size..

Posted by: Prowler | Apr 28, 2012 4:32:40 PM

Looks like they picked up some good players. All did well at their position in their conferences.

Posted by: Zon | Apr 28, 2012 5:26:28 PM

What the heck with a punter in the 6th round? Don't we have more important needs?

Posted by: John | Apr 28, 2012 5:51:42 PM

We needed a punter, it was an important need...last yrs punter (Baker) didn't go a decent job and is long gone.

BTW, with the presence of Cam, I have learned that we have A LOT of bandwagonners claiming to be fans of Cam and not the Panthers...Beware, these fans are not true Panthers fans.

Posted by: Johnny | Apr 28, 2012 6:04:05 PM

@Johnny - agree 100%..

Posted by: Catsnmbr1Fan | Apr 28, 2012 6:14:56 PM

I'm a true Panther fan, a PSL holder, loved the draft last year and have always liked the pick of Cam. I love the Panthers. With 7 picks in this draft, this CB is the only one I like. As a fan, I hope I am wrong and will admit it later if I am, but this draft was not as focused as it needed to be IMHO. We should have taken Cox in the first or Still in the second. With one of those, then another DT in the 5th or 6th just in case. Noone can tell me that DT is not our absolute greatest need. We didn't even touch it in this draft. I'm excited for the coming season, but shocked is the best word to describe the feeling of the moment.

Posted by: YeahRight | Apr 28, 2012 6:19:43 PM

Beason will play OLB luke will play ILB and Anderson will play OLB. Great draft and Norman has lonq arms and ran a 4.4 quud pick

Posted by: Jamiel | Apr 28, 2012 6:24:16 PM

We have six DTs on the roster from what I understand. Why draft another one?

Posted by: Chill | Apr 28, 2012 6:43:28 PM

The chances of TD coming back full strength after 3 ACL's is slim to none. I truly hope he does but he will never be the same, regardless. Beason has much better odds at coming back to form but there are still risks there as well. Obviously the management is closer to what's going on internally so there can always be things happening that we would never know about. I had my fingers crossed that we would pick Kuechly and based on this pick, it confirms that there are concerns with the LB core.

Posted by: Tug | Apr 28, 2012 7:05:24 PM

Appy St must have the most die hard fans in all of college sports. AE was a mistake. They need to release him because he will never be what they drafted him for. I honestly wish him well and hope that he catches on with another team and finds a role.

Posted by: Cheeseburgerface | Apr 28, 2012 7:15:20 PM

I think we did good people let's just see how everything plays out

Posted by: ronnelle white | Apr 28, 2012 7:57:56 PM

This guy did not run a 4.4. At the combine and workout a 4.6 unless that was posted wrong. I sure as hell hope so. Our linebackers run 4.5. You can not be an elite corner without eilte speed. Period. I hope I am wrong about this guys speed. He is also 25 years old so the experiment better happen fast.

Posted by: hamptonhowle | Apr 28, 2012 7:58:59 PM

None of those 6 DT's on the roster are worth a darn, that's why.

Posted by: The Beat goes on | Apr 28, 2012 9:08:35 PM

I didn't like the 3rd rounder trade off for next year in favor of this year but maybe that happens until we really start winning. A playoff developed team in the next few months or years will allow us to start stock piling picks instead of giving them away for the present. IMO we don't need to draft anymore WR's, DT's, RB's or TE's in the near future either. Panthes have failed too often at WR, several DT's on the roster already, RB's is the deepest Off. position, and TE's have been hit or miss as well. When the D comes around teams will fear the Panthers, scoring will not be an issue with so many options.

Posted by: CEREBRUM | Apr 28, 2012 9:40:34 PM

I don't believe that anyone on this board is anywhere near qualified to even have an opinion as to whether this was a good draft, since none of us are NFL coaches, scouts or GM's. The Panthers selected players that filled needs, time will tell if they are the real deal.

Posted by: Kenny | Apr 28, 2012 10:37:00 PM

JR stuck his nose in and forgot which side of the ball we needed help on, with Sitopluaasddhfkf????!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: MJ | Apr 29, 2012 1:16:51 AM

What is so funny if anyone says anything Neagtive you are..................................................................................................................................

Are what?, Negative! SO! ..,.........,.....,.....,.....who gives a shit.

Posted by: MJ | Apr 29, 2012 1:24:39 AM

MJ,

LOL. If that's the way you feel then why do you have such an issue with my post, if it's ok to post opinions and vent, then why does my vent make me an idiot.

Posted by: Kenny | Apr 29, 2012 2:37:16 AM

support the team picks or go cheer for another team..go panthers

Posted by: pantherlife | Apr 29, 2012 10:59:02 AM