« Panthers visit ex-UNC DE Quinton Coples | Main | Thomas Davis says knee feels good »

April 26, 2012

Who will Panthers target in draft?

Panthers picks: 7.

Round-by-round: 1st round-9th overall; 2nd-40; 4th-104; 5th-143; 6th-180, 207 (supplemental); 7th-216.

Needs: DL, CB, LB, WR, P, PR.

Potential first-round targets: Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmon; North Carolina DE Quinton Coples; Boston College LB Luke Kuechly; Mississippi State DT Fletcher Cox.

Potential second-round targets: Wisconsin G Kevin Zeitler; West Virginia DE Bruce Irvin; Montana CB Trumaine Johnson; Nebraska LB Lavonte David.

Potential mid- to late-round targets: Arkansas WR/PR Joe Adams; Memphis G Ron Leary; Cal P Byran Anger; Georgia P Drew Butler.

With the 9th pick, Panthers select: Coples. The safe choice might be Kuechly, who could start immediately for Thomas Davis or Jon Beason, both coming off major surgeries. But the Panthers play in a pass-happy division, and need someone to get to the quarterback more than they need another linebacker.

Longshot scenario: Blackmon falls to No. 9, the Panthers take him and give Cam Newton another target to line up opposite Pro Bowl wideout Steve Smith. Panthers then take the highest-rated defensive lineman or linebacker with their second-round pick.

Trade scenarios: Cleveland, with the fourth pick, and Miami (8th) pass on Texas A&M QB Ryan Tannehill, and Kansas City (11th) or Seattle (12th) trade up with Panthers before Buffalo can take Tannehill at 10. OR Jets trade up from 16th to take South Carolina DE Melvin Ingram.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on April 26, 2012 at 08:44 AM | Permalink

Comments

Joe Adams gives us a nice slot receiver as well as an electric punt returner. Hope they grab him before a punter.

Posted by: chanrock | Apr 26, 2012 8:48:03 AM

Coples would be an awful choice top ten.Hard to trust somebody who openly admits he didn't try his hardest last year. Personally I think Floyd is almost as good as Blackmon so maybe there's some trade interest for him or maybe Richardson falls like RBs tend to do and there's interest for him. Trading back would be great if possible because it makes guys like Coples, Brockers, Poe, and Gilmore options without reaching.

If Janorius Jenkins falls to the second there's no reason not to take a risk on him.

Posted by: YESYESYES | Apr 26, 2012 9:02:51 AM

Also Seattle signed Matt Flynn, he's got more potential than Tannehill, and will likely be ready to produce sooner, so I don't see them as players in that scenario.

Posted by: YESYESYES | Apr 26, 2012 9:05:27 AM

I hope they consider me.

Posted by: fdsadf | Apr 26, 2012 9:27:51 AM

Kuechly will get it done, he's good.

ignore the combine stuff, go for someone that performed in school, he's a winner.

coples is a mess

Posted by: slim shady | Apr 26, 2012 9:38:25 AM

If the Vikings don't take Kalil, he could fall to 9. If he does the Panthers have to take him.

Posted by: BG | Apr 26, 2012 10:30:13 AM

all you guys that are saying coples is a mess and whineing about that are the same ones that said dont take newton last year so you better be quite he might be good if they draft him and sometimes u gotta take risks that is what the draft is for

Posted by: chris | Apr 26, 2012 10:32:23 AM

I didn't see Alshon Jefferies mentioned as a potential second round pick.

Posted by: SC Ken | Apr 26, 2012 10:35:45 AM

hey chris,

it is quiet not quite. get back to playing madden and loving on cam.

coples is a lazy punk with baggage, everyone knows it.

Posted by: slim shady | Apr 26, 2012 10:39:09 AM

take the linebacker

Posted by: ed | Apr 26, 2012 11:20:04 AM

Just say NO to selling tickets. There is no way Coples should be taken above Cox or Blackmon if he falls

Posted by: Dean | Apr 26, 2012 11:55:39 AM

Hey Joe, I'll tell you one guy the Panthers won't draft - it's Fletcher Cox. I saw a show last night that was interviewing him & asking him what three teams he would prefer playing for the most & he said the Eagles, Falcons & one other - not the Panthers. Doesn't sound like something you would hear coming out of the mouth of a prospective player for the Panthers. With that being said, I look for a trade down with the Eagles at #16, where thay can take Coples, Gilmore or a OT. I feel that is a mistake to draft Coples at #9 here. Not what I consider real good value. Kueckley is a better #9 choice. Naturally, if Blackmon drops to us, that would be great. The dark horse here, in my book, is Mark Barron. By the way, I thought you had the Panthers taking Luke Kueckley a couple of days ago? Did the Hurney & Rivera trip up to Chapel Hill sway you that much?

Posted by: Mo | Apr 26, 2012 12:27:47 PM

Dean -- Agree, I don't think Cox is the choice. And yes, I had Kuechly as the choice until reporting that Hurney and Rivera were in Chapel Hill on Monday meeting not just with Coples, but his family. Shades of Rivera's trip to Atlanta last year to sit down with Cam and his folks.
And the trade-down scenario is one I think the Panthers would like a lot.

Posted by: Joe Person | Apr 26, 2012 1:58:13 PM

Trading down is great, but requires someone to actually trade with. Reports are that most of the top ten are wanting to trade back. That may make it unlikely to find a partner, or at least unlikely it will be with us. You never know, but trades like these general require someone unexpected to fall. Odds are we are picking at 9, and I would not count on much else.

Posted by: saintssuckbad | Apr 26, 2012 2:38:56 PM

I think Coples would be a great addition! I HEART UNC!

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 26, 2012 2:53:32 PM

Im guessin CCU is a clemson fan, alshon dominated in college, just watch his gametape

Posted by: adam | Apr 26, 2012 4:17:23 PM

They need to pick Cody Pearcy (you have to Google him). He could be the next Steve Smith. I just watched his combine video and WOW. They said he posted some of the best numbers ever.

Posted by: Mike | Apr 26, 2012 4:33:47 PM

LA Panthers,

This is how you spend your time?....get a life man. Saints won't even make the playoffs, what a disgrace of an organization.

As for the draft Cox>Coples. And I don't know why we aren't targeting a CB in the 2nd round as the NFL is a passing league and I could throw for over 300 yards on the Panther's secondary.

Posted by: A | Apr 26, 2012 6:22:39 PM

Take a few steps down then the safety Baron, I think we could do with a perennial top S much more than some average ends in this draft. I know we "think" we have thas position on lock, but I dont think so. No one pick is gonna fix this defense, we wasted so many last year, rather have something save as Hurney will f'up the late rounds as he always does.

Posted by: garsonthegreat | Apr 26, 2012 7:37:26 PM

lol...LA Panthers? Fair or not, you should be worried about your own team. That's a 9-7 schedule for the Panthers in my eyes. And that's with me giving the Saints the W twice this year against the Panthers. Raiders, chiefs, hawks, skins...those aren't teams that really scare me. I think they can beat the eagles, boys, and bears, as well. I have them beating the Bucs twice. They are on the rise but I don't think they're ready yet. Splitting with the Falcons and losing twice to the Saints. Your franchise, however, is on the way down. Hope you didn't throw those bags away. TBH, Falcons are the best team in the south this year. I think the Panthers are still a year or two away, but I hope they surprise me and arrive earlier than expected.

Posted by: OBXsurfer4 | Apr 26, 2012 7:41:26 PM