« Patrick Willis latest to chime in on Panthers-49ers feud | Main | Luke Kuechly is man of many hats »

May 29, 2012

Cam Newton says he was a bad teammate last year

Following his comments last week that he wanted to be more of a leader in his second season, Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton told Yahoo! Sports' Jason Cole he was a "bad teammate" during his record-breaking rookie season.

"I was very immature," Newton said in the Yahoo! story. "I'll be the first one to tell you, the pouting and the moping, I kind of overdid it. I know that. I was a bad teammate. I shut off to some people who gave unbelievable effort. ... That's where I have to mature."

It's no secret Newton's brooding sideline act after bad series and his down-in-the-dumps locker room demeanor after losses began to wear on teammates last season.

Veteran offensive linemen Jordan Gross and Ryan Kalil took Newton aside two-thirds of the way through the season and told him to be more upbeat and reminded him he wasn't the only one on the team who disliked losing.

But remember: Newton was someone who had never lost at any level. His last two college seasons ended with national championships.

And most of his Panthers' teammates seemed to realize that and give him the benefit of the doubt.

"Cam is not a bad teammate; he's just a young guy learning how tough this game can be," Panthers tight end Greg Olsen told Cole in the Yahoo! piece.

Olsen brings an interesting perspective to the discussion. After a loss at Chicago in October, Newton brushed off Olsen's attempt to encourage him after the game.

Olsen said then it wasn't a big deal, and his comments last week echo that.

Still, the fact that Newton -- whom Panthers coach Ron Rivera referred to as "Mr. Mopeyhead" last season -- plans to be more positive can only be viewed as a good thing for a team most observers believe is on the rise.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on May 29, 2012 at 03:45 PM | Permalink

Comments

Lookout, Cam is going blow up this year!

Posted by: 89 Graduate | May 29, 2012 4:24:56 PM

Leave it to Yahoo Sports and Jason Cole to get Panthers info and interviews for us during the offseason. And he didn't even have to brown nose Marty Hurney like Joe and the local guys to get the time with Cam!

Posted by: Frank | May 29, 2012 4:29:05 PM

"ready to come clean" - Goddess, get over it already.

Posted by: Kyla | May 29, 2012 5:23:57 PM

What?

Posted by: cppro | May 29, 2012 6:59:40 PM

I like that Newton hates losing so much. It certainly isn't a good thing for him to be listening to king excuse makers like Gross and Kalil. From reading interviews those two always try to weasel out of any blame when the O-line performs poorly.

Posted by: Reed | May 29, 2012 7:34:58 PM

***Here's the translation to El Padre's little comment up there, according to Google Translator. Still just leaves me saying...what??***

It's time to confess and admit Newton as clearly paying for the game and all his crimes being destroyed internally and I can fuction. Their God is talking to him right now told him to confess his sins and take away the burden that is killing him and will continue.

Father Michael Ortega St. Augustine Parish
new Orleans

Posted by: MBM | May 29, 2012 7:38:06 PM

Cam, I love your passion for the game. This man is a true leader. I can't wait for the season to start.

Posted by: Sugarbugga | May 29, 2012 8:41:30 PM

Very happy to read that Cam recognizes the immaturity he sometimes displayed last year. From everything I have read about this guy, he wants to be the whole package. In order to deliver that, he has to be regarded as a leader....hard to pull off when you are on the bench with a towel over your head and your lip stuck out or when your coach is publicly referring to you as Mr Mopeyhead.

Cam has so much raw talent and has already earned the admiration of many teammates for his work ethic and his arm. As the mental maturity kicks in and the wins start to accumulate, I believe he will develop into the type of QB the entire league will envy.

Can't wait for September!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 29, 2012 8:48:43 PM

Newton is going to be apologising for stupidly immature behavior when he's 75, if he lives that long. It's who he is.

Posted by: robert ethan | May 29, 2012 11:05:04 PM

While I would like to see him not be so down in the dumps, I don't ever want to see him be an apologist for losing. I hope he continues to take it hard and as a leader make sure that his teammates know that losing is not acceptable. As a leader, he has to me more encouraging when a play, series, multiples series in a game blows up. Sometime plays you are just going to get beat. He's got to be strong enough as a leader to encourage and calm his teammates down and let them know that after ever bad play or series of plays, the next play or series of plays have to be the most important.

Cam just know that the REAL PANTHER FANS are 100% behind you.

Posted by: Tony | May 29, 2012 11:58:44 PM

This will be Cam's year

Posted by: astar1964 | May 30, 2012 10:44:46 AM

This is very encouraging to see Cam maturing like this.

Why don't the CO reporters ever get stories like this?

Posted by: Non-hunter | May 30, 2012 11:53:28 AM

He not only was a bad team mate but he also took loss's out on the kids and adults that waited for him after the game. Hopefully he will realize we are fans win or lose. This is coming from a PSL owner since the beginning and travels 5 hrs to a game and then home. My husband and I endured the 15 and 1 season, Lets go Panthers

Posted by: Bridget | May 30, 2012 4:36:30 PM

I wish we had a 15-1 season.

Posted by: carpants | May 30, 2012 4:42:57 PM

@MBM. In English or Spanish, your comment is STILL indecipherable !

Posted by: nasty704 | May 30, 2012 4:52:37 PM

Cam will showout this year

Posted by: ronnelle white | May 30, 2012 8:08:06 PM

2012-14 Super Bowl Champs!!!

Posted by: BofA Fan | Jun 3, 2012 4:32:07 PM