« Undrafted Wallace making big jump to NFL | Main | Charles Johnson has minor knee surgery »

May 01, 2012

Projected depth chart for Panthers

With the draft over and a rookie minicamp scheduled for next weekend, figured it was time to post the first projected depth chart for the Panthers.

It was hard putting Thomas Davis on the second team; I hope I'm wrong on that one.

I slotted first-round pick Luke Kuechly in the middle and Jon Beason at weakside linebacker, but those two could be flip-flopped. A lot will depend on how well Beason is moving after his Achilles surgery, obviously.

Looking over the team's receivers, it would not be surprising to see Marty Hurney add another veteran wideout in August, a la Legedu Naanee last year.

But here's my post-draft depth chart. Fire away with your thoughts and suggestions.

OFFENSE

P Brad Nortman/TBD

PR Joe Adams/Captain Munnerlyn

KR Kealoha Pilares/Jordan Pugh

LS J.J. Jansen

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on May 1, 2012 at 06:23 PM | Permalink

Comments

Andre Neblett at DT, if not a starter--atleast ahead of Fua. Also, think Joe Adams is our 4th receiver ahead of Pilares

Posted by: DG | May 1, 2012 6:28:59 PM

Kuechly at WLB, Beason at MLB
Hogan starting over Munnerlyn
Reggie Smith over Martin at FS
Alexander over Keiser at DE
Neblett over Kearse DT

Other than that looks good.

Posted by: panthead | May 1, 2012 6:37:29 PM

Right side of offense gonna need some help when Otah doesn't make it past per-season game #1 !!!

Posted by: MP | May 1, 2012 6:54:00 PM

I believe that Haruki Nakamura will start over Sherrod Martin; he's faster, he tackles better, and he played behind Ed Reed for Pete-sake! Mike Pollak will surely start the season at LG over Amini Silatolu, that's not even a question. I also believe that Brandon Hogan will surprise a lot of people this year. Also, it hurts to say this, but I wish they would trade one of our RB's so we could get a value player from it. Jake Delhomme is not here anymore, so we no longer need "double trouble", we have "YES WE CAM!"

Posted by: The Man | May 1, 2012 7:08:26 PM

Jason Shirley will be in the rotation at DT. That guy is a monster.

Posted by: napoleon34 | May 1, 2012 7:14:46 PM

Umm...Joe? You forgot Frank Alexander. They wouldn't have traded next year's 3rd and not include him on the roster.

Posted by: Mark | May 1, 2012 7:17:42 PM

Free Agent A. Edwards

Posted by: Marty | May 1, 2012 7:47:12 PM

Martin at safety???? no way...the pick up from the Ravens may be our biggest surprise of the year....still need help with DB's & DL...

Posted by: bull123 | May 1, 2012 7:52:12 PM

It would be nice to get Shockey back for another year. I do like Barnidge for his speed, but I don't think the added security blanket of Shockey for Cam can be understated.

I am still not convinced that Beason will be moved outside to accommodate Kuechly. I expect to see the rookie playing outside and using his speed to seal off one side of the field and occasionally rush the passer.

And as much as people are convinced Armanti will be cut sooner rather than later, I think he needs a fair shot in training camp to make the final roster in some capacity.

Posted by: Ben | May 1, 2012 8:09:06 PM

i dont like the starting corner in Captain Munnerlyn im gonna close my eyes when the other team is making a pass.this guy was burned by almost every receiver and we are starting him again?are u kidding me?????we better pick up a veteran corner and another dt maybe before the season starts

Posted by: doa2 | May 1, 2012 8:14:03 PM

Offense top 10/Defense bottom 10 again

Posted by: Cam's Entourage | May 1, 2012 8:49:35 PM

I agree that Kuechly starts on the weakside in place of Davis. Beason did not look comfortable there in 2010 when he moved over to cover for Davis.

Posted by: Jimcat | May 1, 2012 9:05:57 PM

Jacoby Jones was released by Texans and we all know Cam Newton can make any WR look good(steve smith)We need corner also!

Posted by: john1 | May 1, 2012 9:46:30 PM

Er... you don't really see Kuechly at weak side, do you?

Anderson can't cover his own shadow, and Kuechly's strong point is his coverage. If Kuechly isn't in the middle, he's got to be weak side.

Posted by: pantherpundit | May 1, 2012 10:09:54 PM

Bleah. "If Kuechly isn't in the middle, he's got to be *strong* side."

Posted by: pantherpundit | May 1, 2012 10:10:25 PM

I don't care what the starting lineup is as long as Munnerlyn doesn't play. I'm 5'8" 190 pds, 35 years old and I'm a better corner than that guy.

Posted by: Rhon | May 1, 2012 10:46:02 PM

Need Mare out.

Posted by: dust | May 1, 2012 10:50:25 PM

Pretty terrible depth chart attempt. Pugh over Reggie Smith? Where's Frank Alexander? Beason will stay at MLB. Kearse would be ahead of Fua and Neblett would backup McClain. Also, doubt Garry Williams gets cut in favor of Bruce Campbell.

Posted by: Jaydin | May 1, 2012 11:08:25 PM

we want kuechly on the strong side,covering tight ends.thats what we got him for.the rest of this depth chart is crap.martin and munnerlyn will not be starters.hangartner will be at left guard.adams will be our #3 wideout.i douby brockel makes the team.apple and alex will be the backup d.ends.

Posted by: amber | May 1, 2012 11:41:31 PM

both CBs are horrid, we really should be addressing this. Not sure if its too late to trade Stew, as I dont think anyone is dumb enough to pay DWs contract for a RB these days. We know we aren't keeping both long term, we should be looking at getting some DEF help by any means necessary. Our corners are going to take turns getting burned on each play downfield. Hope these guys bought some aloe for those third degree pass plays they'll be giving up this season.

Posted by: garsonthegreat | May 1, 2012 11:44:48 PM

C'mon!! the Depth is terrible, here is my final roster.

QB: Cam / Anderson / Clausen
RB: DeAngelo / Stewart
FB: Tolbert / Brockel
WR: Smith / Lafell / Gettis / Joe Adams / Pilares or other.
TE: Olsen / Barnidge
OL: Gross / Kalil / Otah / Silatolu / Pollak / Hangartner / Campbell / Williams / Bell

DT: Edwards / Shirley / Kearse / Neblett / McClain.
DE: Johnson / Hardy / Alexander / Keiser / Applewhite
LB: Beason / Anderson / Kuechly / Davis / Senn / Williams / Phillips or Dillard
CB: Gamble / Hogan / Butler / Munnerlyn / Norman
S: Martin / Godfrey / Nakamura / Smith / other!! maybe Pugh.

ST: Mare / Nortman / Jansen

Most important released: Tucker, Norwood, Fua, Nwagbuo, Vaughan, Hartsock, Ajirotutu, Armanti.

I'm not considering the undrafted rookie free agents and I think some of this guys will be a really nice surprise. We will see in the Training Camp and Preseason games.

GO PANTHERS!!! (my .8 cents LOL)

Posted by: Rockdrigo | May 2, 2012 1:40:17 AM

Armanti will destroy your depth chart.

Posted by: lee | May 2, 2012 1:41:51 AM

I am a Raiders fan (and Panthers). Just a quick FYI-If you think Bruce Campbell will be the first OL off the bench, you must know something I dont. He couldn't find the field in Oakland and their O-line wasn't as good as the Panthers. Dont get your hopes up. He's a good kid and looks awesome, but he was one of the first "Al Davis" picks Reggie MacKenzie got rid of.

Posted by: kevin | May 2, 2012 5:42:51 AM

I think Kuechly should be on the weak side to cover tight ends (Jimmy Graham Tony Gonzalez). I think that is the reason why he was drafted.

Posted by: gwanedm | May 2, 2012 6:44:45 AM

We need another right tackle. You may have forgotten (I understand if you tried to), but Otah will be done for the year by Sept. 1, and Byron Bell was garbage. He and Jordan Gross, by themselves, accounted for half of all false start penalties in the entire NFL.

Posted by: J | May 2, 2012 7:36:23 AM