« Cam Newton looking for more wins | Main | Steve Smith to teammate: NFL is not Coastal Carolina »

June 14, 2012

Beason glad to be back, but not sure where he will line up

Panthers linebacker Jon Beason had a good week in his first full-speed action following Achilles surgery in September.

And when the Panthers hold their first full-pads practice this summer in Spartanburg, Beason said he'll be ready – even if he's not sure where he'll line up.

“I'll be full go, no limitations, getting ready for the first preseason game – whoever that is – and our opener,” Beason said Thursday following the final minicamp practice.

First-round pick Luke Kuechly played middle linebacker at Boston College and took most of his reps there during OTAs and minicamp while Beason was sidelined.

Beason, a Pro Bowl middle linebacker, was asked where he would line up at training camp.

“I don't know,” he said. “But wherever it is, I'll be making a lot of plays and hopefully I don't hit anybody too hard that first day of pads.”

Beason has played the weakside previously, but has said his preference is the middle. It certainly sounded Thursday like that is still the case.

“Um, you know what, I guess I'll cross that bridge when it gets here,” Beason said when asked if he would be OK playing somewhere other than the middle.

But Beason has had nothing but praise for Kuechly, the NCAA's career tackling leader who intercepted Jimmy Clausen and ran it back for a touchdown Thursday before a crowd of about 5,500 at Bank of America Stadium.

“I think the world of the kid. He made a great play today. I was extremely happy for him because he was talking about getting an interception," Beason said. "To do it the last day, that's big time. He's got a lot of potential and I'll be happy to play with him.”

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on June 14, 2012 at 02:26 PM | Permalink

Comments

Only 6 more weeks till training camp. Looking forward to my annual cheeseburger at Ike's Corner Grill in Spartanburg.

Posted by: Dan | Jun 14, 2012 2:43:22 PM

Do the smart thing...move Beason outside now and don't stunt Kuechly's growth. We've seen this before with Thomas Davis and moving him around all over the place.

At some point you have to stop worrying about hurting people's feelings and just do what's best for the team, even if that means moving a slower, older Beason to WLB.

Posted by: Fast Freddie | Jun 14, 2012 3:22:03 PM

Why would you move an all pro MLB to WLB? If your reason is he's older and slower then you just proved my point. The "Will" backer is supposed to be the MOST athletic of any of the LB's, hence the reason when healthy Thomas Davis has been there. Leave an all pro where is and let the younger more athletic kuechly to the Will

Posted by: Jimmy | Jun 14, 2012 3:26:00 PM

could not have said it best Jimmy, Beason is best left in the middle. Who is in front of Beason & other lb on the D-line is my question?! if the d-line is goin to still be getting pushed back into the lb's laps then it does not matter who playing what.

Posted by: 336nda704 | Jun 14, 2012 4:16:34 PM

Jimmy, Don't sweat Fast Freddie. He has been making really bad statements on all of his posts. Rivera will place the best player at the correct position and the LB corp will mesh. I agree that Beason will remain in the middle. He is the heart of the defense. Looking forward to it!

Posted by: Get Serious | Jun 14, 2012 4:21:38 PM

put them side by side before the snap and let the center not be able to make the line calls before the snap. Play them in both spots and let the mass confusion begin!

Posted by: joe cool | Jun 14, 2012 4:56:41 PM

Why would they move Beason, an All-pro middle linebacker for an unproven rookie? Plus, at the times Beason has played outside he hasn't been as effective. He belongs in the middle.

Posted by: Nate | Jun 14, 2012 5:02:19 PM

Here you go Haters!! -->

Panthers first-rounder Luke Kuechly took the majority of his reps during OTAs and minicamp at middle linebacker.
Veteran Jon Beason concedes that he could be moved to the weak side after Kuechly impressed in practices. "I think the world of the kid," said Beason, who had previously expressed a preference for staying in the middle. Based on Kuechly's strong showing thus far, beat writer Joe Person expects him to start the season in the middle.

Posted by: Fast Freddie | Jun 15, 2012 3:37:07 PM

At the practice Beast was in the middle when the starting group was out there

Posted by: Slow Down Freddie | Jun 15, 2012 4:08:42 PM

Agree beast should remain in middle, he is an all pro. Luke needs to learn all three line backers spots for the good of team, hope we do not get hit by injury bug again.

Posted by: dac | Jun 16, 2012 5:01:00 AM

Thanks so very much for taking your time to create this very useful and informative site. I have learned a lot from your site. Thanks!! I think you have done an excellent job with your site. I will return in the near future.

Posted by: burberry pas cher | Jul 17, 2012 7:07:42 AM

It is sexy, fun, and hip and for girls, http://www.sirsee.com it is something to show off for the boys if they are lucky enough to get a peek.

Posted by: Body Jewelry | Sep 15, 2012 2:40:56 AM