« Gross: Weird that Saints motivated by "a little extra cash" in bounty program | Main | Beason glad to be back, but not sure where he will line up »

June 13, 2012

Cam Newton looking for more wins

Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton said he has a “long list” of areas he would like to improve on during his second season. At the top of the list: More victories.

“That's all that matters. Winning,” Newton said. “That's all we play this game for is to get that W. That's it.”

The Panthers went 6-10 in 2011 behind Newton, the league's Rookie of the Year after breaking Peyton Manning's rookie passing record. Newton began his career with consecutive 400-yard passing games in losses to Arizona and Green Bay, despite not having the benefit of a true offseason program due to the lockout.

Newton thinks he will be more prepared for his second season.

“I think this part helps a lot – minicamps, OTAs. That's something that I didn't have last year. I feel like if I would've had it, I would have been far advanced than I was,” Newton said. “But having this time with the coaches and players is something that you can't get with just working out every single day. And hopefully it shows come game time.”

Panthers offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski is adding layers to the Panthers' offense, which was the league's seventh-best last season.

“You want to come look at my playbook?” Newton said after Wednesday's walkthrough. “I'm telling you, man, it ain't on the Atkins diet, I can tell you that.”

On a serious note, Newton expressed condolences to the families of the victims in the Auburn shooting. Newton said the players who were killed were freshmen during Newton's lone season at Auburn.

“My heart goes out to the families that lost their son, their brother, their nephew. It’s disheartening just to even think about it,” Newton said. “Just to hear something like that, that’s very uncharacteristic of Auburn. It’s a very safe place.”

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on June 13, 2012 at 12:49 PM | Permalink

Comments

i like this guy.

Its just a shame league worst GM Marty Hurney yet again neglected to build a defense. Can't put up 40 pts every game unfortunately. 7-9.

Posted by: Fast Freddie | Jun 13, 2012 12:57:31 PM

Keep at it Cam

Posted by: English Professor CMS | Jun 13, 2012 1:12:53 PM

@ Fast Freddie

do you remember guys named Jon Beason, Ron Edwards, and Thomas Davis. Heard of the rookie LB, Luke? Grow up.

Do you not witness, year after year, first round busts left and right. Name ONE first round bust of the Hurney era.

Posted by: Chris | Jun 13, 2012 1:27:26 PM

Our GM Marty is great lay off. If u dont like what we are doing with this team go hate on another team. The sky is the limit for us and Marty is a big part of that

Posted by: Mike | Jun 13, 2012 1:33:01 PM

@ Chris

I'd like to think of myself as a star; but the reality is I'm a first round bust drafted by Marty Hurney. I just can't keep my fat A away from the buffett lines

Posted by: Jeff Otah | Jun 13, 2012 1:35:05 PM

Not a first rounder but a first round pick for traded for him...Everette Brown

Posted by: Matt | Jun 13, 2012 1:42:09 PM

Jeff Otah was not a 1st round pick you idiot.

Posted by: Michael | Jun 13, 2012 2:03:35 PM

This Panthers team is going to get picked apart in the secondary. The push from the front line is not there, and the force from the ends is not stifling the QB. Chris Gamble shows time and time again that he the most overpaid Defensive Back in the NFL. This Panthers team may win 9 games, but it will have to outscore the opposition...and you cannnot count on Olindo Mare's accuracy to win the game.

This team needs a star Corner...or 2

Posted by: Kurly K gives BJs | Jun 13, 2012 2:03:41 PM

I just want him to care more about wins than getting his mug on every TV camera. What a jackwad. Only one more season of this bum before he jets for a real city anyway. Can't happen soon enough!

Posted by: Inside info | Jun 13, 2012 2:10:26 PM

Michael, thats why you don't call people names!

Posted by: 10-4!! | Jun 13, 2012 2:19:16 PM

Kurly K I assume you are a Clausen fan and waiting for him to take over the team right?

Posted by: David | Jun 13, 2012 2:29:44 PM

Jeff Otah Selected by Carolina in the first round (19th overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft .... now who is the idiot?!?!?

Posted by: You're an Idiot | Jun 13, 2012 2:31:03 PM

Im excited as a panther fan. We should have more W's this year! Looking forward to Cam and the rest of the guys having a great year!

Posted by: big daddy | Jun 13, 2012 2:31:28 PM

Michael, it's not very nice to call other people idiots. Especially since Otah WAS drafted in the 1st round.

Posted by: stephen | Jun 13, 2012 2:35:20 PM

The Panthers will make the playoffs and hopefully a Super Bowl berth!!!I respect Marty's handling of the team along with Coach Rivera, Chud, and the assistants! Panthers fan since 1995! When Reich was the QB and Kevin Green was a beast along with Lamar Lathan!!!Real Panthers fans stand up!!!Let's go Cam!!

Posted by: HATER HATER | Jun 13, 2012 2:41:36 PM

Chris Gamble allowed a 45% completion rate against him last season. That was 4th best in the league, behind Brent Grimes, Darrelle Revis, and Ike Taylor. He was not the problem. Captain Munnerlyn allowed 74%. HE was the problem. So if you replace Munnerlyn with an average cornerback, you improve. Look, Gamble only allowed 27 RECEPTIONS against himself all season.

Posted by: jonnjonzz | Jun 13, 2012 2:47:41 PM

1st Rnd Busts:
Biakabutuka
Rae Carruth
Jason Peter
Rashard Anderson

From 2001 - 2008 we've done well. However trading picks in 09 and 10 were HORRIBLE decisions.

Posted by: BrickT | Jun 13, 2012 2:47:49 PM

I know Tim Biakabutuka, he was a hard worker solid back here not too far from Fred Lane, but the coaching was terrible then, Rae Carruth was the first #89 from CA, he was good but made very bad off field decisions!

Posted by: HATER HATER | Jun 13, 2012 2:50:56 PM

With a name like fast Freddie, I don't think we need to even worry what he says. He obviously doesn't know the team if he doesn't kmow the talent on defense.

Posted by: james | Jun 13, 2012 3:22:15 PM

The Panthers traded back up into the first round to grab Otah. He was a good pick at the time and was a maller on the field when he could stay in the game. However, it is inexcusable for him to come into camp not in shape and over weight this year.

Posted by: Tips | Jun 13, 2012 3:26:59 PM

I saw Otah at South Park.

Posted by: carpants | Jun 13, 2012 3:40:51 PM

Marty Hurney is good at contracts and negotiation and decent at talent evaluation. I think our scouting staff is smaller than most NFL teams for whatever reason. And Munnerlyn suffered from playing a rookie position and having Gamble on the other side (not to mention the pass rush). Of course teams were going to test him more - he is a better nickel.

Posted by: Reasonable | Jun 13, 2012 3:41:57 PM

Love to see a 10 win season and a chance at the Division Title..

Cam and the Panthers should get more wins. The Defense only has to improve a little..

How do you hang 35+ points and loose to Green Bay and New Orleans? Improve your Defense...

Posted by: Taco | Jun 13, 2012 4:50:17 PM

i love how Hurney sympathizers only want to talk about the first round. i also love how Hurney sympathizers come on here and blast people and have no clue what they are talking about (Michael).
as for the guy that brought up Edwards, Davis and Beason. Wow, really? so you are telling me suddenly we have a great defense because a guy on the scrap heap no one wanted (edwards), a guy with a disintegrating knee (davis) and a guy with a blown achilles that played for a contract (beason) are coming back? wow. i like your optimism, but you just aren't very realistic.
Hurney fails year after year in many areas...FYI the draft isn't all a GM does. Its sad that I even have to type that comment for some of our fans on here. What's he done in free agency? What's he done from the 2nd round on excluding one pick (Kalil)? Why are players like Deangelo getting overpaid and guys like Armanti still even on the roster? i'll be waiting and will appreciate any and all educated responses (that's not you Michael).

Posted by: Fast Freddie | Jun 13, 2012 5:08:48 PM

I hope so. Since I volunteer at concessions to help my favorite charity (and thus sell my PSLs), the more you win Cam the more my charity and I win.

Posted by: hopeful | Jun 13, 2012 5:15:42 PM