« Beason makes splash in return to practice | Main | Cam Newton looking for more wins »

June 12, 2012

Gross: Weird that Saints motivated by "a little extra cash" in bounty program

With the benefit of hindsight, Panthers offensive tackle Jordan Gross said there were signs of the New Orleans Saints' bounty program, specifically the late hit New Orleans safety Roman Harper laid on wideout Steve Smith last year following Smith's touchdown in Charlotte.

Harper was flagged after drilling Smith in the end zone, a hit that resulted in a skirmish involving several players from both teams.

“I always thought all those guys on that team were a little bit – I'll just say an extra bit pushy and shoving and all that stuff,” Gross said. “It was so blatant when Harper hit Steve in the game here. That was just a blatant cheap shot. And then to hear that they had the bounty and all that, it makes sense.

“I just think it's weird that guys would be motivated by a little extra cash when everybody makes the money they do. It's honestly kind of funny that I don't think they ever successfully had a cart-off after all those years of trying to do it.”

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on June 12, 2012 at 04:55 PM | Permalink

Comments

Any news on Kealoha Pilares?

Posted by: darcey | Jun 12, 2012 5:27:12 PM

Get 'em Gross!

Posted by: B-ry | Jun 12, 2012 5:28:15 PM

False Start!

Posted by: Ref | Jun 12, 2012 5:44:16 PM

I remember after that game 'Aints fans were coming on here trying to justify that cheap shot. And now their cheapskate owner won't even pay the guy who is most responsible for delivering the only Super Bowl title they will ever receive. Without Brees and with the fallout from this bounty scandal, the 'Aints will move back permanently to the bottom of the division WHERE THEY BELONG.

Posted by: 'Aint winning no more | Jun 12, 2012 6:16:20 PM

F the Saints. Its just a matter of time before they regain their title as the "AINT'S". I hope every team takes cheapshots on the Saints players.

Posted by: Panther Fan | Jun 12, 2012 6:16:50 PM

You should try to listen to the audio of saints asst. coach greg williams discussing how to "hit frank gore's head" and the vulgar words used repeatedly when he gave his speech to players at meeting....its a disgrace to coaches who do their best to do right from peewee level up to professional...

Posted by: rob m | Jun 13, 2012 6:27:34 AM

I am impressed with Jordon Gross' generosity when it comes to that Harper Hit on Steve Smith last year and I wonder if everyone on the team will be as generous. As bountygate has unfolded, I have come to believe that the Saints are going to have big targets on their uniforms and there will be players on other teams who will make their feelings known more physically when the season rolls around. Vilma's lawsuit isn't going to help because the more he presses the litigation, the more informmation comes out about who was targeted and the more players are going to want to provide the Saints players with payback-for free! That could easily result in a Saints IR list that looked like ours did last season. If details of that ledger you guys mentioned last week, I like to call it a hit list, are published...well, I just hope the Saints are emphasizing physical conditioning this off season. I hope I'm wrong, I hate to see any player hurt but knowledge of human nature tells my I'm probably right.

Posted by: Airman | Jun 13, 2012 8:31:57 AM

Actually Late Great I work with Pop Warner here in Charlotte. We have been trying to limit the hits for some time and I am glad to see the national organization getting on board. As pointed out in your article more concussions happen at practice than in games. We don't need to be hurting young children with unnecessary contact. But hey give your kids as many concussions as you want I guess. There are leagues around here that won't care a bit, enjoy.

Posted by: John | Jun 13, 2012 8:51:20 AM

Joe, you have access to all the players, and you do 1 decent article per month about the players, and it is 2 paragraphs. You should really go out and do your job instead of mailing it in.

Posted by: John Doe | Jun 13, 2012 10:24:36 AM

Jordan "false start" Gross! Wonder if he'll be a league leader in penalties again this year?

Posted by: Fast Freddie | Jun 13, 2012 12:15:50 PM

Darin Gantt is now putting out article after article every day on PFT and we're left with Joe Blow, who posts an article a day on a good week. Thanks Charlotte Observer!

Posted by: Chris | Jun 13, 2012 1:30:26 PM

It wasn't money it was greed! Saints were pushed by coaches who wanted to be greater than anyone in the NFL and they were willing to not just cheat but to destroy another good player plus you had a QB who wanted to better than any QB in the history of the NFL.

I think the SB should be taken away plus and only a Hall of Shame for all that participated because no one will get me to believe Brees did not know about this and after all he is trying to support the coach to come back and not be suspended. He don't even know right from wrong.

Posted by: Ray | Jun 13, 2012 4:51:07 PM

Chris, unfortunately Joe is the lesser of two evils. Gantt got demoted to covering women's basketball at Winthrop, likely because he more or less accused fans of being uneducated racist last year during the pre-draft stuff with Cam.

Posted by: Fast Freddie | Jun 13, 2012 5:11:24 PM

Last year at the game here the Saints fans were the most obnoxious fans I can ever recall at our stadium. Barely beat us and bragged like it was a blowout. Very much enjoying them getting bitch slapped back to earth this year.

Posted by: Sportsdon | Jun 14, 2012 10:13:45 AM