« Otah having knee issues again | Main | Panthers sign undrafted WRs »

June 04, 2012

Otah is OK after MRI on knee

Oft-injured Panthers offensive tackle Jeff Otah's left knee is OK, Panthers coach Ron Rivera said Monday.

Otah underwent an MRI last week after he developed swelling around the knee. Otah, a former first-round pick, has missed 31 of the past 35 regular-season games and has undergone two surgeries on the knee.

He started four games early last season before being placed on injured reserve with knee and back problems. Otah's status for the rest of organized team activities and next week's mandatory minicamp is uncertain.

Second-year tackle Byron Bell, who started 12 games in place of Otah last season, has been working at first-team right tackle.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on June 4, 2012 at 06:49 PM | Permalink

Comments

yeah, sure it is fine. It will be fine up until early in the season then he will be out for the season and we won't be able to cut/trade him.

Posted by: Dan | Jun 4, 2012 7:24:20 PM

I think the Panthers have a solid plan if Otah doesn't work out. Too bad for him though - what talent he was coming out of Pitt. I think he will retire if he can't play this year.

Posted by: Dom | Jun 4, 2012 7:36:06 PM

He will be hurt by the second game, out for the season.

Posted by: ncboatbum | Jun 4, 2012 7:40:38 PM

When my knee swells up and down I tell my wife it is "fine" She does not believe me...

Posted by: PatrickPatrick Nance | Jun 4, 2012 7:46:22 PM

Get well Otah you can do it! Be apart of this train. Super Bowl Champs 2013! Panthers!!!

Posted by: BofAFan | Jun 4, 2012 8:15:45 PM

Not looking good. I don't expect him to play 16 games this season.

Posted by: DS | Jun 4, 2012 8:18:56 PM

I just don't see how he is going to be able to play a full season - given that he was shut down last year and now has to have an MRI after the first few practices? At least like Dom said, the Cats seem to have a plan. Shame they have to use it though - Otah is/was a beast when he is/was healthy.

Posted by: PanthersTimes | Jun 4, 2012 8:54:14 PM

"I lift things up and put them down...for 1 week per year" Jeff Otah

The check has been shipped

Posted by: Kurly K gives BJ's | Jun 4, 2012 8:54:59 PM

Otah can't be trusted until he proves himself by playing the first half of the season. Until then it's Bell's job to lose, if he cuts down on the holds and moving before the ball is snapped, he will do just fine. Personally I feel that he can correct those two nagging problems, he was a rookie thrown into the fire last season.

Posted by: easye | Jun 4, 2012 9:45:35 PM

Jesus. This guy has made millions sitting on his couch. It makes me sick.

Posted by: bdubs | Jun 4, 2012 10:06:05 PM

@Dan, why cut Otah, this is the last year of his contract, and he is very cheap (1) million to keep him. Plus, most teams know that he will be a FA next year. If he survives this year. Dan Morgan was hurt alot, then the last year of his contract he had a Pro Bowl year. I am not saying Otah will go to the pro Bowl. But, he has a lot more reasons to come back this year and play, then to sit at home.

Posted by: Catsnmbr1Fan | Jun 4, 2012 10:19:40 PM

I hope he makes it, he can be a beast, but it starting to get a bit silly, hard to believe that he can't through OTA's and he hasn't played in years.

Posted by: Kenny | Jun 4, 2012 10:59:59 PM

Back in 2008 is when D Williams and jonathan Stewart ran and broke all the records. They had him blocking for them on the right. Most of the yards gained were on the right side. So when he does play he gives the Panthers a lot of room to run or now even throw ,remember we had Delhome then. So imagine if he can play all 16 games. I doubt he will,but just imagine.

Posted by: dwilliamsfan34 | Jun 4, 2012 11:29:13 PM

I hope he plays like most panther fans do but it sure is hard to believe he could even make it through training camp. His knee is fine now because he stopped real ota workouts with team. We'll see. No one has really ever questioned his talent. He was only 1 of the reasons the r. backs had such a good year. There was many other reasons as well though lets not make him out to be the only reason. Cmon.

Posted by: tomb43 | Jun 5, 2012 12:22:30 AM

Posted by: tomb43 | Jun 5, 2012 12:26:45 AM

Did he twist it running from the couch to the fridge? C'mon dude, how is it swelling up? What could possibly have been done to it while sitting out 31 of 35 games?

Posted by: john holmes | Jun 5, 2012 12:34:14 AM

Com on otah u
are killing us

Posted by: mrflamboyant | Jun 5, 2012 3:12:52 AM

Dom, Otah came out of Oregon with Jonathan Stewart, not Pitt.

Posted by: BlackKat | Jun 5, 2012 6:01:13 AM

BlackKat check your facts

Posted by: notnow | Jun 5, 2012 6:45:42 AM

Otah from Pitt....and he has no heart to play through minor issues. Unfortunate he doesn't have the heart or desire to play, as he does have the talent. I think he wants the paycheck, just doesn't want to earn it. A professional welfare earner.

Posted by: David Crabb | Jun 5, 2012 6:59:44 AM

If he allready has issues in the OTA,s he will not make it to the regular season. I have a knee problem and when they start to swell you are just out of luck.

Posted by: Mark | Jun 5, 2012 7:16:13 AM

"It would be nice to have Otah, Gross, Kalil, the new mauler we drafted, among others ( Hang. Bell, Cambell.)

Posted by: tomb43 | Jun 5, 2012 12:26:45 AM"
**********************
How would you like your crow served, sir? After reading all your insults to me and Otah, you have this to say? Two days agao, you had the man out of the NFL, when I said I hope he can play ... Are you the author of "Flip Flopping for Dummies"?

Posted by: qdog112 | Jun 5, 2012 7:19:41 AM

Swelling in very light OTA workouts does not sound good, even if an MRI doesn't show anything. I love the guy and what he can do but I predict a bust. :(

Posted by: bc | Jun 5, 2012 9:31:49 AM

Deshaun Foster came back from two surgeries to have a successful career. Holding out hope, but glad Byron Bell is there.

Posted by: Bull City Dog | Jun 5, 2012 9:56:15 AM

Hey Mark hoping he plays but doubting he will is not flip flopping. Its reality. Once again its not hard to figure out. Think about it! I am a panther fan who has seen this tired act before and calling him out on it like everyone else. You on the other hand say im flip flopping yet if you read carefully i said i hope he plays but doubt he will because he cant even make it through ota's! Its really is that simple. Simple enough even for you.

Posted by: tomb43 | Jun 5, 2012 11:29:29 AM