« Cam Newton is a natural entertainer | Main | Cam Newton goes to Washington »

June 20, 2012

Panthers not interested in Burress

Plaxico Burress wants to play for the Carolina Panthers. But the Panthers apparently don't want Burress.

Burress, the 6-foot-5 wideout who is arguably the biggest free agent still unsigned, told WFNZ on Tuesday that Charlotte is his preferred destination because of his family in the area and the Panthers' offensive arsenal.

But a team official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Wednesday the Panthers are not interested in signing Burress, who returned to the NFL with the New York Jets last season after serving nearly two years in prison on a weapons charge in New York.

Attempts to reach Drew Rosenhaus, Burress' agent, were unsuccessful.

“My brother lives right there in Charlotte, my cousin lives there in Charlotte, and all my family is there in Columbia, South Carolina. It would just be a great situation all the way around,” Burress told WFNZ.

“Not just that, but playing with Cam (Newton), who I think is one of the top five quarterbacks in all of football, and as long as I can remember Steve Smith has been one of my favorites. I just think it's a great situation.”

A pair of third-year receivers – Brandon LaFell and David Gettis – are the Panthers' top wideouts after Smith, who earned his fifth Pro Bowl berth last season.

The Panthers were interested in acquiring former Houston receiver Jacoby Jones in May before Jones signed a two-year deal with Baltimore. But Jones is younger and has less baggage than Burress, who turns 35 in August.

Burress caught 45 passes for 612 yards and eight touchdowns last season with the Jets.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on June 20, 2012 at 08:00 PM | Permalink

Comments

Just saying, but you guys are quite possibly the slowest Panther news source on planet earth.

Posted by: TJ | Jun 20, 2012 8:15:03 PM

My goodness, this possible pickup sounds like a steal. Espacially if he agrees to come in cheap. Heck, give em' a chance to prove himself. Might regret it if you don't Mr staff member that makes this decision

Posted by: Clay | Jun 20, 2012 8:26:45 PM

John Clayton is reporting that the Panthers will liokely sign Burress.

Posted by: Billy Taylor | Jun 20, 2012 8:28:09 PM

I'm with management on this one - at 35 he's taking reps from someone who needs the experience. I'd be respectful, as the guy has been through a lot, but definitely not a good match for here. He needs to go to a team that doesn't have a gaggle of young receivers. Good player, bad match for Carolina (IMO)

Posted by: Panthernyut | Jun 20, 2012 8:30:42 PM

Hey, it couldn't hurt. Big reliable target out there kinda like Moose and we know what Moose could do on the field.

If they go with this it'll be Smith, Burress, Layfell, Gettis, and punt returner Abrams. Pliaras as other returner and backup. Fully functional and healthy this would be a MEAN recieving core to an already reliable and stunning TE set. Go for it front office!! If he acts up, get rid of em' ..that simple LOL

Posted by: Clay | Jun 20, 2012 8:33:52 PM

Training Camp will determine it, if LaFell and Gettis step up do not sign him if not he is a step up even at 35

Posted by: Gunny Highway | Jun 20, 2012 8:44:48 PM

If only Burress was a good a teammate and leader as Moose was. We all know that's not the case. The coaching staff clearly believes in LaFell and Gettis and bringing in a guy like Plax could hurt their development. Not to mention Adams and Pilares could be dangerous guys in the slot as well as in the return game. Cam will make these guys better. We don't need Burress to have a dangerous WR corps.

Posted by: DB | Jun 20, 2012 8:47:46 PM

John Clayton said no such thing.
The Panthers mostly work out of 3 wr sets with 2 te's and a rb. Unless we change from that with shockey not here, a wr gets injured, or Rivera starts to hate gettis or laffell, I dont see it happening. It would be Keyshawn all over again.

Posted by: Gret | Jun 20, 2012 8:53:04 PM

Keyshawn was good. Problem was he had to retire early because they put so much faith in Jarrett and we saw how that turned out. I never saw a problem with having Keyshawn. Shoulda kept him at least one more year than we did

Posted by: Clay | Jun 20, 2012 9:01:35 PM

If the Panthers want a great receiver, they should try to obtain Percy Harvin from the Vikings. He wants out of Minnesota and is trying to force a trade. I would give up a 2nd round pick and maybe a non-essential player for him that will not be starting this year.

Posted by: Randy | Jun 20, 2012 9:46:35 PM

Maybe trade them Armanti Edwards with a packaged future draft pick.

Posted by: Randy | Jun 20, 2012 9:47:54 PM

The only problem with Keyshawn was when Jake threw horrible interceptions and he wouldn't take the blame for it!

Posted by: joe cool | Jun 20, 2012 10:27:57 PM

Keyshawn wasn't the problem, but he also wasn't the missing piece to our Super Bowl puzzle as a lot of people thought he would be. Yes, a lot of that had to do with the fall of Delhomme and various injuries, but still. I think it's pretty clear LaFell and Gettis are nothing like Jarrett though. Whether they pan out is still to be determined, but at least they want it. Jarrett had talent but never seemed to care.

Posted by: DB | Jun 20, 2012 10:36:40 PM

Please sing Burress, esp if he comes for dirt cheap. Someone may have faith in Gettis and Lefell but I sure as heck don't. We've given both a chance and neither would start on another squad. We haven't had a second receiver since Moose and that is the truth. I think Plexico has learned from his mistake (he wouldn't have gone to jail for it outside NYC). He is 6ft6in and while not a Steve Smith type star he is the perfect guy you want on the field to catch in the back of the endzone b/c of his height and good hands. I had him on my fantasy squad and he racked up a good amount of TDs.

Posted by: Scott | Jun 20, 2012 10:48:01 PM

Diamond in the rough, cant hurt.....

Posted by: alias1333 | Jun 20, 2012 11:13:53 PM

typical Panthers - WHY NOT SEE IF IT **COULD** WORK? How about JUST for redzone/4 receiver sets?

Cmon, please try to do SOMETHING risky FOR ONCE (besides trading draft picks for unproven players like Armanti Edwards)

Posted by: PantherFan | Jun 20, 2012 11:39:12 PM

I dont understand why we are never aggressivde with anything. I would give him a shot. The more weapons you have the better chance our offense has. Where is ownership and GM at because you have to learn the hard way about things in which we did like with peppers. Why do you think teams make it far, because they go and are aggressive.

Posted by: Cody Clanton | Jun 20, 2012 11:41:35 PM

I think that we sign him for league minimum with incentives, which is what every player should be.
Deals such as that would make a league of 'always' players and everyone would be rewarded for their current performance, like the rest of the world.
Would make for GREAT sports perfomances for the FANS that pay the bills!!!!

Posted by: SLCan | Jun 20, 2012 11:52:55 PM

I missed the part where anyone from the Panthers organization said they weren't interested.

Posted by: Likwit | Jun 20, 2012 11:53:48 PM

Man, sounds like a good deal, id pounce on it......

Posted by: alias1333 | Jun 21, 2012 12:28:16 AM

ok SLCan, It sounds like you are Spiderman in part 1, "I missed the part where that is my problem.."

Posted by: alias1333 | Jun 21, 2012 12:30:51 AM

harvin would be nice..but he has migraine problems that sideline him from time to time

Posted by: james | Jun 21, 2012 12:54:40 AM

did our offense look like it needed help last year? I missed that part. and it actually is getting some help with gettis, barnridge healthy....tolbert, a few other young'ns, hopefully some youth and health on the line...etc.

but we don't need to spend any more money on offense. points won't be a problem.

if somebody gets hurt, he's one of many options, but even if 1 of our non-steve smith receivers gets hurt, you'll hardly notice. more likely they sign shockey.

Posted by: charlottean | Jun 21, 2012 3:47:26 AM

This would be a great signing....

....Plax plays safety, right?

Posted by: Cman2 | Jun 21, 2012 6:18:42 AM

@ TJ
HAHA, you couldn't be more right!

I say we sign him and see what he can do. He may be 34 in his actual age, but he's 32 in NFL age. I think it would be nice to have the option for a nice back corner fade route for a TD, then risking Cam's health by having him pound the ball in himself. I know we have Tolbert now for that, but still. Im ok with either decision, but it would be cool to have him playing for the panthers.

Heck, maybe we could just sign T.O. He is a proven leader in the locker room and he loves visiting kids in the hospital... hahaha, what a bad person...

Posted by: Andy | Jun 21, 2012 6:23:49 AM