« Cam Newton goes to Washington | Main | Cam Newton is 15th on Jaws' list of QBs »

June 22, 2012

Steve Smith: No need for Plaxico

Based on reader comments on this blog and undoubtedly, sports talk radio in Charlotte, there are a lot of people who believe the Panthers should sign free agent wideout Plaxico Burress.

Steve Smith isn't one of them -- at least not at the moment.

Burress, 34, has expressed an interest in playing for the Panthers because of his family in Charlotte and the team's offensive weapons, led by Smith and Rookie-of-the-Year quarterback Cam Newton.

Though Smith called Burress' an "exceptional wide receiver" during an appearance Thursday night on NFL Network’s NFL Total Access, the Pro Bowl wideout endorsed the Panthers' approach of giving their young receivers a chance to develop.

“We’ve filled our chairs in the receivers room with already a lot of guys – young and older guys. To bring in Plax [and] to let one of those guys go it wouldn’t be the coach Rivera way. The guys that are in there, they earned those chairs for right now and allowed them to go through training camp," Smith told NFL Network.

"Now, if some injuries were to happen, that would be one of the persons we would look for to look at," Smith added. "We don’t really need a guy because we also have guys – Brandon LaFell, David Gettis, [Kealoha] Pilares, [Seyi] Ajirotutu. We have some guys that are trying to make their way into the starting lineup and have a bigger role.

"Adding a guy like that would take away some of their development so I don’t really agree with it. Carolina has already come out and said they’re not interested right now, but he’s an exceptional wide receiver and can help a team. I just don’t think it’s the right fit for us right now.”

The Observer reported this week the Panthers aren't interested in Burress, who caught 45 passes for 612 yards and eight touchdowns for the New York Jets last season after spending nearly two years in prison on weapons charges.

--Joseph Person

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/06/20/3331738/panthers-wont-call-burress.html#storylink=cpy

Posted by Observer Sports on June 22, 2012 at 12:09 PM | Permalink

Comments

Way to lay the law down Steve!

Posted by: English Professor CMS | Jun 22, 2012 12:22:41 PM

I trust Smitty's assessment, even though I think he would be a good add. But I go with whatever Smitty feels is best for the team.

Posted by: rrsuave | Jun 22, 2012 12:26:06 PM

Amen.......

Posted by: nasty704 | Jun 22, 2012 12:31:03 PM

Joe,

Great job including a hyperlink to your other article that was still 2 WEEKS behind what the national media outlets were reporting on this. Plagarism is bad but delayed plagarism is laughable.

t-minus 5 minutes and counting until the "Observer Staff" censors my post and deletes it.

Posted by: Frank | Jun 22, 2012 12:43:52 PM

Frank,
Link to an article or post where Panthers' official says they aren't interested in Burress?

Posted by: Joe Person | Jun 22, 2012 12:52:59 PM

I notice Steve did not mention Armanti when talking about the receivers on our team.

Posted by: slim shady | Jun 22, 2012 12:53:08 PM

Armanti is garbage, and won't make the final Panther roster this season. He and Burress should go to the Ain'ts...Bawahahaha

Posted by: Bruce | Jun 22, 2012 1:03:21 PM

I noticed the same thing. I continue to maintain that Armanti deserves a shot to prove himself in camp this year, and if he doesn't, it's cutsville.

Posted by: Bull City Dog | Jun 22, 2012 1:07:27 PM

I think we have some solid young WRs who are poised to have break out years in Gettis and LaFell. Joe Adams and Pilares are also very talented but will likely return kicks this year - but don't be shocked if they make some plays too. Then there are some other guys who could end up in the mix - like Rico Wallace,
Ajirotutu and the other rookie free agent from OSU (can't remember his name). Let's see what all those guys can do before bringing in Plax...

Posted by: TheTopScout | Jun 22, 2012 1:17:53 PM

The Dr. said I wouldn't have so many nose bleeds if I just kept my finger out of it!

Posted by: Robert | Jun 22, 2012 1:34:37 PM

Not surprised coming from Steve Smith, the most selfish player on the roster. Bringing in another big play WR will cut into "Smitty's" production, so no wonder he is lobbying against it. Funny how Smith was worried about developing young talent 2 seasons ago when he quit on the team. Steve Smith is great when the Panthers are doing well and when he isn't punching his own players but overall he is a selfish, pouty thug.

Posted by: Michael | Jun 22, 2012 1:36:34 PM

Based on what i have been hearing the Panthers had one heck of a draft this year.

1 - Kuechly; Starting LB; already making an impact and well recieved by team

2 - Silatolu; Starting G; making an impression

4 - Alexander; unknown; I have not heard much about Frank...

4 - Joe Adams; Starting PR; best punt returner for Panthers since Steve Smith

5- Josh Norman; Possible Starting CB; Have not heard anything but good things about him and now I am hearing he might start opposite Gamble

6 - Brad Nortman; Starting P

7 - D.J. Campbell; Not sure how he is doing...

Plus rookie free agents like Rico Wallace, Nate Chandler, Ryan van Bergen, Jared Green and Tauren Poole are making impressions

Posted by: TheTopScout | Jun 22, 2012 1:38:53 PM

I forgot Guard Will Blackwell who is an undrafted FA who might make the team as a backup

Posted by: TheTopScout | Jun 22, 2012 2:02:37 PM

Sounds to me like good ole Smitty is feeling alittle threatened.

Posted by: dlp4460 | Jun 22, 2012 2:24:02 PM

barring any injury problems the panthers will be fine. with or without plax.

Posted by: jimmy holmes | Jun 22, 2012 2:48:04 PM

I THINK BURRIS WOULD BE A GREAT SIGN,AT CHEEP PRICE. HE COULD HELP THE ROOCKIES TO LEARN FASTER,SUCH AS RICO WALLACE,RASARIO,GREEN.HE ONLY HAS A FEW YEARS LEFT IN THE NFL CHEEP,WITH EXP. IF HE CAUSES ANY TROUBLE CUT HIM GIVE HIM A CHANCE,YOU MAY BE SURPRICED

Posted by: bill pitman | Jun 22, 2012 2:49:43 PM

I favor adding Plax. His length adds great value. He creates a redzone mismatch that can translate to 7 points rather than settling for 3. No WR on the Panthers, including Smith, has Plax's Redzone ability. Plax 5 redzone TDs last season after being out of FB for 2 years. How many redzone TDs did Panthers Wrs produce last year? Cam can't run it in every time they get past the 20.

Posted by: Tito Zar | Jun 22, 2012 3:00:10 PM

I still like adding Plax. He'd be a good foil for Smitty. He does raise a few good points though, and for those reasons I think the Panthers will ultimately pass on Plax. Had this been last year with Gettis just getting injured, I could see adding Burris. Just not now. If LaFell or Gettis go down in camp and Plax is still available, I could see the team adding him then, but not now.

Posted by: Curry | Jun 22, 2012 3:07:07 PM

First off, who thinks Plax will be cheap (or CHEEP, as bill pitman called him). I believe he can still play, but there's a reason ho one has signed him. I bet that reason is because he wants too much money.

I agree we shouldn't sign him, but for slightly different reasons. I want to see what Pilares, Jared Green and Joe Adams can do. I have never understood the fascination with Gettis, a 6th-round pick who had 2 good games on a 2-14 team. I think Gettis will follow Armanti out the door if Pilares, Green and Adams all have good camps.

A receiving corps of Smith, LaFell, Adams, Pilares, Green and Wallace would be just fine with me.

Posted by: J | Jun 22, 2012 3:09:32 PM

I WOULD NOT WANT TO DEFENED AGAINCED HIM ON ANOTHER TEAM.EXP IN PLAYOFFS,OR SUPERBOWL I RESPECT SMITH HIGHLY,BUT WERE HERE TO WIN AS A TEAM P.S.TAKE IT EASY ON OUR CB WE NEED HIM WITH MOST REASPECT

Posted by: bill pitman | Jun 22, 2012 3:17:18 PM

Moot point. They'll be last in the division yet again.

Posted by: Dash | Jun 22, 2012 3:24:55 PM

I THINK HEATHY GETTIS IS AS GOOD OR BETTER THAN LAFELL,ALL THOUGH I VERY MUCH LIKE LAFELL ARMANTI WAS THROWN IN TO LIONS DEN HIS FIRST SEASON,NEVER HAS RECOVERD. I BELIEVE, IF HE BELIEVES IN HISSELF,HE WILL BE EXCEPIONAL SLOT RECIEVER. TRICK PLAY ALSO,ARMANTI TO NEWTON,DOWN THE SIDE LINE TOUCHDOWN TOUCHDOWN

Posted by: bill pitman | Jun 22, 2012 3:39:10 PM

Bill Pitman-

Turn caps lock off, use spellcheck

Posted by: northkak | Jun 22, 2012 3:50:34 PM

Well, if he wants more money then thats a differ story. Panthers if they did sign him would have to be for cheap. Some players go to teams they REALLY want to play for for cheap if they know thats the only way they will get there so i'd say he'll be cheap if he wants to play for Panthers. Slide one of those guys to the practice squad and once Plax is gone, bring that guy back to the reg lineup. Simple. We're here to win games

Posted by: Clay | Jun 22, 2012 3:51:43 PM

Armanti has had his time to show what he can do. Sorry for all you App State fans. He must go.

Posted by: Michael | Jun 22, 2012 3:55:47 PM