« Beason glad to be back, but not sure where he will line up | Main | Cam Newton is a natural entertainer »

June 15, 2012

Steve Smith to teammate: NFL is not Coastal Carolina

At his fifth annual youth football camp Friday, Panthers wideout Steve Smith had pointers and words of encouragement for some of the 500 campers in attendance.

Smith also had a little lesson in humility for one of his new Panthers' teammates.

Rookie cornerback Josh Norman told the Observer this week he had stayed with Smith in coverage during organized team activities and minicamp. The confident, fifth-round pick from Coastal Carolina went so far as to suggest he had frustrated Smith with his blanket coverage.

“He’d throw his hands in the air,” Norman said of Smith. “He'd have a couple words.”

Smith had a couple more words Friday when asked about Norman's competitiveness.

“For a young guy, he's coming out and he's playing well. But as far as how much swagger and he loves to compete, I look at it like all the other veterans – May and June you just kind of cruise a little bit just to get through,” Smith said during a break at his camp.

“Once late July, August comes, he's going to learn very quickly this isn't Coastal Carolina,” Smith added. “I look forward to camp. I hope he looks forward to camp, just like all the other DBs because the first week is never a good day for them when we've got this offense with Chud (offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski). It's going to be early and often and real quick.”

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on June 15, 2012 at 03:15 PM | Permalink

Comments

I was wondering when there was going to be a little response to that. I'm sure he'll find out what full speed is all about in a month or so.

Posted by: MJW | Jun 15, 2012 3:25:01 PM

Gotta love the Observer trying to start up Steve Smith - Ken Lucas part 2. Why even ask that question especially with hothead Steve Smith involved? Is this sports blog or a gossip column?

Posted by: Fast Freddie | Jun 15, 2012 3:36:14 PM

...soon....soon....

Posted by: Steve Smith's Fist | Jun 15, 2012 4:06:12 PM

hehehe... i told you. HE"S GONNA DO IT BECAUSE HE LOVES HIM!! Don't take it personal Josh Norman. In the end, 89 is on the fellow NFL players side Panther or not as evidenced by his words during the "Bounty Scandal".

Posted by: nguyen johnny | Jun 15, 2012 4:08:11 PM

Fast Freddie, pull your skirt down ..this is football! I love it! Norman, do you hear what Smitty is saying? He says you're just a pup, you can't really cover him! Now take that, go work harder and come to camp ready to secure that starting job!!

Posted by: Thugnificent | Jun 15, 2012 4:11:06 PM

Hey Fast Freddie -

Who do you think would have good insight into the competitiveness of J. Norman? Maybe the guy that he covers in camp? Maybe a vet on the team that practices with him on a daily basis? Maybe someone with whom he recently "a couple words?"

Please think before you waste everyone's time with your posts. And please refrain from profanity or name calling...idiot.

Staff

Posted by: Observer | Jun 15, 2012 4:17:39 PM

Calm down, fellas. These are just, for the most part, tongue in cheek comments from a couple of really good competitors. I hope Smitty turns Norman into the best CB in the '12 draft.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 15, 2012 4:46:49 PM

ROTFL! Norman's gonna be sucking wind by November trying to cover in the pros. He'll get there, but the fact he thinks OTA's mean much of anything in the NFL, especially with the new CBA... speaks volumes about his inexperience.

Posted by: John | Jun 15, 2012 4:52:54 PM

Got to like the confidence of the kid! However, I'm not sure I would have bragged about "keeping up with Smith". Did he not watch Smith last year? He made some pretty good corners look silly! But, it will be fun to watch these two in camp though! :-)

Posted by: Demisfit2000 | Jun 15, 2012 4:57:04 PM

Hey Scrubbed,
Please refrain from posting on this message board if you can't write anything that has a passing resemblance to the King's English. I am still trying to decipher your moronic post. If you don't like football than go post on a baking or sweater knitting blog. I happen to love this kind of insight.

Posted by: PDubb | Jun 15, 2012 5:29:52 PM

Some of the people who think this kind of talk is done out of love must be willfully forgetting the history of Steve Smith. We are talking about a guy who has a history of sucker punching teammates.

Posted by: Nate | Jun 15, 2012 5:34:39 PM

First rule of Steve Smith fight club J. Norman! Never ever talk thrash with your helmet off! It's for protection! Keep it on!

Posted by: joe cool | Jun 15, 2012 5:56:11 PM

PDubb, that response was hilarious, thank you.

Posted by: shoeface10 | Jun 15, 2012 6:17:40 PM

I was at the practice yesterday and there was a moment when Smitty looked a little annoyed with Josh after he went over the top of Steve on a pass to the end zone. They both bounced up off the ground and Josh put his chest in Steve's face while saying something. Steve Smith bowed up like he was going to give Josh a wake up push but Smith just walked off back to the huddle and pointed to up to the sky. The funny thing was the guy next to me said " You almost got Ken Lucasested Rookie!"

Posted by: Cam&TheCheshireCats | Jun 15, 2012 6:24:04 PM

If you punch a man and he doesn't punch back, maybe the guy that got punched knew he deserved it... just something to think about.

Posted by: nguyen johnny | Jun 15, 2012 6:26:33 PM

I like the football competition between Norman and Steve. I would rather see it remain just football and not this idiotic after the play "in your face " nonsense. They arte on the same team and there's a lot to be learned from Steve for a young rookie.Norm should respect his elders and also should respect the long successful record of Steve Smith. If he does , he might make it in this league and help our defense . If not, his ego will prevent his maturation into a top notch DB. He'll watch the others progress who try to learn from and respect their proven betters..GO PANTHERS .. KEEP POUNDING !!

Posted by: Mainone | Jun 15, 2012 10:24:44 PM

Everybody remember what Steve said " It's gonna be early, often and real quick!" Get ready puffer boy.. retribution on the field is coming.. early... often... and real quick..GPKP

Posted by: Mainone | Jun 15, 2012 10:28:40 PM

At first, I was concerned about a potential conflict between teammates. But now that I think about it, I don't think there is a feud here. I think Smith knows that his comments will motivate Norman to become even better, similar to what he did with Cam.

Posted by: Tarun | Jun 15, 2012 10:36:50 PM

There's a lot of talk about how the rookie is going to be put in his place come training camp (and I agree), but I also see a little benefit for Smitty. This kind of smack talk by Norman is just the kind of thing to kick the old man in the pants and encourage him to step it up a little more than would have otherwise. HOF anyone?

Posted by: Tim | Jun 15, 2012 11:02:34 PM

LOVE THIS. Put the alpha-punk in his place this year Norman!

Posted by: Bryan | Jun 15, 2012 11:46:46 PM

You've got to love Norman's attitude though. Isn't that kind of swagger a "must have" for a corner? I hope this guy develops into something really special for us. We need a corner that is "feared" by other teams -

Posted by: YeahBaby | Jun 16, 2012 8:32:35 AM

hey kitty cats play nice

Posted by: will | Jun 16, 2012 9:16:34 AM

@joe cool. YA KILLIN' ME !!!

Posted by: nasty704 | Jun 16, 2012 2:19:48 PM

For everyone picking sides, just remember they play for the same team on Sunday's so what's the big deal? I would expect for two real competitor's to jaw at each other a little, that just shows fire and makes them work harder. I guess the haters want him to say oh no it's Smitty I quit I can't do it..SMH

Posted by: mikeD | Jun 16, 2012 3:24:39 PM

I've always been a Panther fan, from day one. I realize that some writers (sports) will say or do things to make a better story. I mean just how much copy is there in OTAs. Their vocations depend on controversy and if there isn't any perhaps they take some literary license to produce what's not really there. I will say that, for my first post, I've read some comments often associated with frustrated ex-jocks or more probably, with student trainers/ball boys. Don't hate on the physical gifts of others. Also I'd like to see ANY sports star/super star who doesn't have a certain amount of swagger.

Posted by: Rod | Jun 16, 2012 3:27:24 PM