« What addition of Murphy means for other WRs | Main | Neblett says diet supplement caused failed drug test »

July 23, 2012

Closer look at the Panthers' trades

Three teams got together Monday and solved two problems.

Oakland dealt disgruntled receiver Louis Murphy to the Panthers for a conditional, late-round pick, and the Panthers got the pick back by trading injury-prone offensive tackle Jeff Otah to the New York Jets.

The Panthers shed Otah's $1.08 million salary and $2.7 million in cap space -- a lot of money for a former first-round pick who has missed 31 of the past 35 games due to injury.

When healthy, Otah is a dominant run-blocker. But he's been hurt for more than two years, and never showed much interest in getting healthy while logging his hours in the training room.

The Panthers will leave the right tackle position in the hands of Byron Bell, who started 12 games as undrafted rookie last season with Otah out. Panthers general manager Marty Hurney said he likes the team's depth at tackle with Garry Williams and Bruce Campbell competing with Bell.

None is as athletic or as good as a healthy Otah, but that's been the problem.

"When a player's dealing with injuries, I think nobody knows what the injury's like except for that player," Hurney said. "Injuries happen in this league and he's definitely had injuries the last two years. But I think he's motivated this year. I do think a fresh start will help Jeff."

Otah is in a contract year, so maybe that will get his juices flowing.

"It's hard because Jeff's an extremely talented player. I think this is going to be a fresh start for him and he's going to do very well," Hurney said.

"You don't find players – he's a very talented offensive tackle. He's had problems with injuries the last two years. We have some young tackles that we think can be good and compete and help us and make up pretty depth at the spot."

Murphy, who played with Panthers QB Cam Newton at Florida, has had his own injury problems. He missed the first five games with a groin injury in 2011, and wasn't the same receiver when he returned.

He caught just 15 passes after combining for 75 receptions his first two seasons in Oakland.

Murphy, who will make $1.26 million this year, will add depth at a position where David Gettis is coming off ACL surgery and Armanti Edwards is in danger of not making the team.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on July 23, 2012 at 06:31 PM | Permalink

Comments

Good moves all around. One nitpick though: isn't Bruce Campbell supposed to be some athletic freak? And all he needs to do is get his head on straight? Kinda like Otah....

Posted by: Dez | Jul 23, 2012 6:56:31 PM

Wait. So we basically just traded Otah, who we waited for (and paid) to get healthy so he could play, for a #3 wideout who isn't going to beat out Gettis for our #3 spot? Murphy will at best be our #4 WR, once Gettis returns to claim the #2 spot and beat out LaFell.

Posted by: BC in Apex | Jul 23, 2012 7:47:09 PM

I like this trade, actually. Good ridden Otah! Sorry, nice player when healthy, but he never was healthy. I have to look at some film on this Murphy guy to see what he's like. I would of actually bargained for a CB if I was a Carolina (I mean, I bleed Carolina Panthers blue, but I don't make decisions there). The WR group is beginning to get a little crowded with a bunch of guys with unknown talent (LaFell, Gettis, Pilares, Adams, more guys besides Edwards (who should get cut this year)). I WANT LAFELL TO BE THE #2 GUY THIS YEAR.

The main reason I like this move is because Otah is finally out.

Posted by: Godwin Ozoeneh | Jul 23, 2012 7:58:44 PM

The main reason I like this move is because Otah is finally out.

Posted by: Godwin Ozoeneh | Jul 23, 2012 7:58:49 PM

The main reason I like this move is because Otah is finally out.

Posted by: Godwin Ozoeneh | Jul 23, 2012 7:58:51 PM

The main reason I like this move is because Otah is finally out.

Posted by: Godwin Ozoeneh | Jul 23, 2012 7:58:56 PM

The main reason I like this move is because Otah is finally out.

Posted by: Godwin Ozoeneh | Jul 23, 2012 7:58:57 PM

The main reason I like this move is because Otah is finally out.

Posted by: Godwin Ozoeneh | Jul 23, 2012 7:59:04 PM

The main reason I like this move is because Otah is finally out.

Posted by: Godwin Ozoeneh | Jul 23, 2012 7:59:06 PM

With news of Otah leaving NC, Bojangles stock plunged 10 pts.

Posted by: cppro | Jul 23, 2012 7:59:41 PM

doesn't make any sense to me other than freeing up a little bit of money. I'm assuming trading was more cap effective than releasing.

Murphy might not even make the roster. 4th and 5th receivers need to contribute on special teams and I highly doubt we give up pilares or adams spot for him. Unless they carry 6 receivers and incorporate less tight ends which I kind of doubt. Somebody must be hurt or somebody just saw david gettis running and said "no effing way" this dude is ready.

Posted by: charlottean | Jul 23, 2012 8:18:06 PM

Godwin- seriously?

Posted by: non- hunter | Jul 23, 2012 8:41:12 PM

If we end up facing the Jets in the Super Bowl. We well have to make sure Otah's knowledge of the offense is obscured. GO PANTHERS! SUPER BOWL CHAMPS 2013!!!

Posted by: BofA Fan | Jul 23, 2012 11:08:30 PM

louis murphy will be huge for this team....great weapon for Cam....Gettis is limited in skill....

Posted by: sectime | Jul 23, 2012 11:15:55 PM

I believe Murphy will make some big plays for the Panthers this year now that he is out of Oakland where good players go to perish. He is at least as good as Gettis with a higher ceiling based on his productivity when healthy.

Posted by: deepenwide | Jul 24, 2012 12:31:29 AM

So when you say Murphy is disgruntled, what do you mean by that? There isnt anything in here on that point.

Gettis clearly isnt coming back as quickly as they wanted since he just got put on the PUP, an ACL is an 18 mo injury (see Brandon Hogan) so this isnt surprising.

Good move for a low price, and we save some cap room for maybe another signing after camp cuts by getting rid of Otah.

Posted by: manu4t | Jul 24, 2012 8:25:17 AM

Good move, we basically lose nothing as Otah hasn't hardly played. Now go find a solid #2 CB.

Posted by: BrickT | Jul 24, 2012 8:43:46 AM

Now, let's trade Armanti!

Posted by: buckshot jenkins | Jul 24, 2012 8:49:12 AM

I think the right move with armanti is to keep him as a 3rd QB/whatever else we want to use him as. The few plays he's been on the field for, he's looked good. Way better than clausen ever did that's for sure.

And he did show glimpses of the return ability last year. I hate giving up on guys too early, but it's also a problem waiting too long to do so. With otah I think we did both. If we were going to dump him, we should have done it last year. Now I think we waited until he's actually going to start playing to do so.

I don't know jeff to speak to his work ethic and what not, but by all accounts this has way more to do with him than nature and that's pathetic. he could have been a GREAT lineman. Guess he prefers selling drugs.

Posted by: charlottean | Jul 24, 2012 9:12:14 AM

I looked at some game footage of Murphy, and his blocking was actually what stood out to me.

Posted by: Pete's got the itch | Jul 24, 2012 10:21:13 AM

If Murphy is healthy he will be our #2 WR. Worse case when healthy he would push LaFell to step his game up to be the sure #2. Good move.

Posted by: theTRUTH | Jul 25, 2012 3:11:06 PM