« Neblett says diet supplement caused failed drug test | Main | Rivera, Panthers players like confidence of Kalil »

July 25, 2012

Early response to Kalil ad positive

Panthers center Ryan Kalil knew his full-page ad in Wednesday's Observer, in which Kalil promises fans a Super Bowl title this season, would draw a huge reaction.

Kalil, a smart guy, also knew what that reaction from his teammates would be.

As much as Kalil directed his 178-word "war cry" to the fans, he also intended it to serve as a rallying point for a Panthers team that has been to the Super Bowl once in its first 17 years.

Panthers tight end Greg Olsen posted a two-word response on his Twitter account: "love it!!!"

And the team seemingly endorsed Kalil's gumption on its official Twitter account, calling Kalil "the hero that Charlotte deserves," along with a picture of the Observer ad.

It will be interesting to hear the reaction of Ron Rivera and the front office. This is a franchise that likes flying under the radar.

But with the arrival of Cam Newton, the appeal of Rob Chudzinski's innovative and high-scoring offense and strong statements by Kalil and linebacker Jon Beason -- who mentioned the Super Bowl back in February -- that might be changing.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on July 25, 2012 at 09:56 AM | Permalink

Comments

Panthers are no longer under the radar anymore.......Get use to it. :)

Posted by: Da_Ing_Man | Jul 25, 2012 10:19:51 AM

Yes We Cam!!!

Yes We Cam!!!

Yes We Cam!!!

Posted by: Clay | Jul 25, 2012 10:28:38 AM

Upon hearing the news John Fox immediately suspended Kalil for the entire 2012 season. When advised that he was no longer the coach of the Panthers, he stated, "They could go 16-0 or 0-16. It is what it is."
Fox then added that if the Broncos were to trade for Kalil he would be suspended without pay for the next two seasons, and then traded to the Jets for a late round pick.

Posted by: Panthernyut | Jul 25, 2012 10:41:37 AM

Joe try listening to sports radio some time. 610 had Danny Morrison on this morning, said he loved it.

Posted by: Fast Freddie | Jul 25, 2012 10:45:30 AM

We admire the confidence and will be in the stands for every home game.

Posted by: nosebleed fan | Jul 25, 2012 10:45:45 AM

Panthers need a clutch kicker before they can legitimately compete. Mare is not that guy... one of the biggest blunders by the front office was ditching Kasay and the KOS for Mare. Clutch field goals decide games, and whenever it mattered last year, the Panthers came up on the short end of makeable kicks.

The team would have been 8-8 if not for poor special teams play. Those two same games could haunt the team this year and be the difference between 9-7 and no playoffs and 11-5 and a berth.

I like Kalil's spirit and positive outlook, but when one of your weakest links is the player who should be scoring the most points, that doesn't bode well. If they can limit him to PATs, he'll be fine, but field goals with the game on the line will make me extremely nervous.

Posted by: Curry | Jul 25, 2012 10:50:31 AM

Wow, maybe the fans will actually stay in their seats next time it rains.

Posted by: Chuck | Jul 25, 2012 10:51:38 AM

CAM-ELOT!!!

Posted by: English Professor CMS | Jul 25, 2012 11:04:18 AM

......Music to my ears!.....

Kalil and Beason are real confident that we will win a Super Bowl this year. And you know what, so am I. I think we can do it.
Our offense is playoff caliber. No question. This year, we'll be top 3 ranked.
This year, were getting Edwards, Beason, and (I hope I dont regret saying this) Davis back. We made ALOOOOTA moves this year in the secondary. I think our D can go up to 12th best.
Also in special teams. We do need another kicker. I dont know if it was just a bad season for him or what but, in order for us to get a ring this year, missing clutch FGs are UNACCEPTABLE.

Posted by: Godwin Ozoeneh | Jul 25, 2012 11:45:37 AM

I hope Ron Edwards and Company have a little bit of a mean streak this year. Looking back at When we had Rucker, Jenkins,Buckner. They all had mean streaks and were nasty in the middle. We haven't had that attitude since then. Those guys in the trenches need to be meaner this year to be successful.

Posted by: Greg | Jul 25, 2012 12:27:36 PM

I think what Kalil did was great (and I'm usually not predisposed to these sort of things).

It was very well written and stated without any overt cockiness. It was nice to read.

Good for him and the Panthers.

Go Carolina!!

Posted by: MSL | Jul 25, 2012 12:29:50 PM

I do like it!
However don't think Cam needed the added pressure if he struggles in his sophomore season.

Posted by: 10-4!! | Jul 25, 2012 12:31:30 PM

2-14

Posted by: TheReckoner | Jul 25, 2012 1:12:56 PM

I hope the rest of the team agrees with his comments. It would be nice to have sustained success in the playoffs!

Posted by: buckshot jenkins | Jul 25, 2012 2:59:45 PM

Cant wait for the no huddle offense and our defense committing turnovers to points and special teams scores. GO PANTHERS! SUPER BOWL CHAMPS 2013!!!

Posted by: BofA Fan | Jul 25, 2012 3:47:15 PM

ATTITUDE, BABY !!!

Posted by: nasty704 | Jul 25, 2012 5:45:21 PM

The panthers is the best kills cam

Posted by: william ward | Jul 25, 2012 8:59:51 PM

It's killa cam not kills cam I love my team

Posted by: william ward | Jul 25, 2012 9:01:52 PM

@ TheReckoner - 14-2

Posted by: I've seen it too | Jul 26, 2012 2:41:47 AM

attending my first training camp saturday night any advice what to bring . is it worth it attending the first day? or should I wait ..are they in pads the first day??

Posted by: rell | Jul 26, 2012 10:39:07 AM