« Steve Smith misses practice with foot infection | Main | Steve Smith improving, but status still in doubt »

August 23, 2012

Talking 'The Office' with superfan Byron Bell

NBC’s popular comedy show “The Office” will wrap up at the close of Season 9 this fall, and there’s one Panther in particular who is sad to see it go.

Second-year offensive tackle Byron Bell is a self-proclaimed huge "Office" fan, and in a recent interview we discussed his disappointment with the series ending before delving into football-related topics for print.

“I am very sad. Michael, when he left in Season 7, I was already hurt,” Bell said, referring to Steve Carrell’s character Michael Scott, the regional manager of Scranton’s Dunder-Mifflin office. “It doesn’t matter though. Dwight is still there, Angela and all those guys.”

So who’s your favorite character, Byron?

“Oh, Michael by far. Him and Dwight? Ah man, those dudes are hilarious. Then you got Jim doing all the pranks on him...”

In case you have no idea what Byron is talking about, here’s one of Jim’s best pranks on volunteer sheriff’s deputy Dwight Schrute.

Bell’s girlfriend recently bought him a Dwight bobblehead, an "Office" sign and Scott’s Dunder-Mifflin mug with the words “World’s Best Boss” on it. Here's the photo of his collection.

--Jonathan Jones

Posted by Observer Sports on August 23, 2012 at 09:30 AM | Permalink

Comments

As much as I have loved this show over the years, it is time for it to end. My favorite character? Creed Bratton.

Posted by: Andy Bechtel | Aug 23, 2012 10:16:37 AM

this show was not funny mid way through 2nd season....

nothing comes close to seinfeld. word to your mother.

Posted by: slim shady | Aug 23, 2012 10:45:40 AM

Mr. Jones, did you get paid to write this? Did you go to school to be a journalist? You should ask that school for your money back and give the Charlotte Observer their money back. This was just dumb!

Posted by: Sean P. | Aug 23, 2012 12:19:58 PM

Don't talk about my mamma like that Andy!!

Posted by: Local on the 8's | Aug 23, 2012 1:36:18 PM

Let me get this straight. You discussed "The Office" and "football related topics" and you choose to write about "The Office". Great! Can we get a report on "How I met your Mama"?

Posted by: Ben | Aug 23, 2012 1:38:29 PM

next week Mr. Jones will ask a player the cliche question of boxers or briefs.

come on, give us some football stories man.

Posted by: slim shady | Aug 23, 2012 3:27:28 PM

Michael huh? I would of guessed Darryl.

Posted by: Steven | Aug 23, 2012 8:19:09 PM

Mr. Jones, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Posted by: Garvin Dean | Aug 24, 2012 12:32:48 AM

Ha! I love The Office and have a whole new respect for Bell. Thanks for this!

Posted by: KevinW | Aug 24, 2012 9:28:10 PM