« Steelers 10, Panthers 3, halftime | Main | Panthers trim roster on cut day (updated) »

August 30, 2012

Panthers moving into next stage of preparation

The four preseason games behind them, head coach Ron Rivera, his staff and general manager Marty Hurney will spend the bulk of Friday finalizing the Panthers' 53-man roster.

It means telling some players their good work wasn't good enough. It means telling others on the bubble that they're in. It's not easy but it's necessary.

"That's how it goes. It's my third training camp, third night like that," receiver Seyi Arjirotutu said before flying off into what would be a long Thursday night, wondering if he would make the Panthers' roster.

"You don't get used to it. You know it's a business. You know all the time you put in from the spring to camp in Spartanburg to now, it's all a culmination of what you've done."

It's the same for Armanti Edwards, who may be battling Ajirotutu for the last roster spot.

"I've just been focusing in on myself and not worrying about everybody else," Edwards said as he dressed after the Pittsburgh game Thursday night.

Once the roster is finalized, the Panthers will have Saturday off and get back to practice Sunday for the regular-season opener Sept.9 at Tampa. It's a slightly offbeat opening week schedule with Monday an off day followed by a Tuesday practice in Charlotte before the team flies to Florida to escape the distractions of the Democratic National Convention that takes over Bank of America Stadium Thursday.

There are injuries to heal, though nothing serious enough that Rivera is suggesting a key player could miss the opening game.

One part of the process was completed Thursday night. Another part is completed Friday.

Then the biggest part begins.

-- Ron Green Jr.

Posted by Observer Sports on August 30, 2012 at 11:34 PM | Permalink

Comments

This may seem crazy but why not kill two positions with one player. It has been done in the past and in a pinch could work. Cut Clausen and keep Edwards. While Edwards in NOT a long term answer at QB. He could definitely fill a roll as an emergency QB. Given the odds that 2 QBs go down in the same game are pretty low. So are the odds Edwards plays QB. However, it give Carolina an extra spot for a player we really don't want to lose.

Posted by: davethepanther | Aug 31, 2012 12:23:18 AM

Crazy. Armanti could not make the jump from the JV level. Nice 33rd overall pick.

Posted by: Steven | Aug 31, 2012 7:04:47 AM

I hope you are not comparing preseason to the real season. Tampa Bay will be the one's trying to avoid 16 L's you grammatically challenged nitwit. I hope that was a drunk post. If not, I'm sure it's not that hard to say "Would you like to supersize that"

Posted by: tom | Aug 31, 2012 9:07:57 AM

Agreed---keep Armanti, cut Pickles. Why not let Armanti work as the 3QB, all the while you've got a backup WR if guys get banged up.

Posted by: Man Up | Aug 31, 2012 9:32:18 AM

We don't even need 3 quarterbacks. Cut clausen and edwards. Edwards is always barely missing catches because he's not a good receiver. He doesn't run great routes,he breaks at the wrong time, and he mis-times his jumps. He should've been playing defensive back since the second he came in the league. use the extra roster spot for a vet defensive tackle or a vet defensive end like andre carter.

Posted by: Jason | Aug 31, 2012 9:41:24 AM

I like the idea of cutting pickle and keeping Armanti as a backup WR, backup QB, backup punt returner. He's not really very good at any of those positions but is a good insurance policy.

Posted by: Evan | Aug 31, 2012 9:55:58 AM

Everyone that wants Armanti as a 3rd QB is out of their minds.

He was dominant at a JUCO program and you think he can play NFL?

3 years of poor play beg to differ.

Looking forward to Crap State Alums telling me why he is so great. Please save your time.

Posted by: juice box hero | Aug 31, 2012 10:06:23 AM

Keep Armondo...period.

Posted by: eduardo | Aug 31, 2012 10:08:11 AM

I'm not at all saying Armani can be a good NFL QB (he's too small) ... in fact, this is an App grad saying it's time to cut ties unless we can land him on the practice squad and test him out at DB. But just remember ... the other "JUCO" QB he beat for his 2nd National Title was Joe Flacco.

There is plenty of good (not great) NFL talent in that division. I haven't heard anyone calling our new OL a "JUCO" player. And he comes from DIV 2, not 1AA.

Posted by: Sherman | Aug 31, 2012 10:19:42 AM

When are the cuts announced?

Posted by: buckshot jenkins | Aug 31, 2012 11:38:41 AM

some of you guys should have your heads cut off..smh

Posted by: pantherlife | Aug 31, 2012 11:52:10 AM

After watching Joe Adams muff one punt and fumble another... I'd think keeping Edwards around might be a good idea, at least until Adams shows he won't continue that trend come the regular season. I'll take a 5-yards per return average over a bunch of turnovers any day of the week. While Edwards struggled with the same issues his rookie year, last year he was at least solid in fielding the ball.

Posted by: swizzlesticks | Aug 31, 2012 11:57:14 AM

I understand the point of keep Armanti as a policy insurance. However; I think we only need keep with 2 QBs in the roster.

In the past blog I picked Ajirotutu as a 6th WR, but now I changed my decision. I prefer keep L. Bryant as 6th WR, he is bigger, younger and the most important thing HE CAN CATCH THE BALL!!!

Posted by: Rockdrigo | Aug 31, 2012 12:14:27 PM

Just a clarification for anyone who might be confused by the suggestion to keep AE as the #3 QB and also a backup WR. Until the 2011 season the #3 QB was a special roster spot that didn't count against the game day roster but could only play at all if both QBs got hurt. So, under the old rule if AE was the #3 QB he couldn't play WR... however, the NFL dropped that rule starting with last season so it is possible now.

The only question would be has he shown the Panthers enough to make them want to keep him at all? Frankly, I doubt it.

Posted by: John | Aug 31, 2012 12:30:43 PM

It may be me but the times he played at the wildcat he looked great 2-2 passing and two positive runs may be because that was his natural position. He has improved at 3 position he never played in college WR/PR/KR. To expect him to out shine players that are playing their natural position is a bit much but in some instance he has and what do that say about the Panthers WR'S core? I'll stick with Armanti Edwards he can actually play 4 positions QB/WR/PR/KR!

Posted by: Hoke Buck | Aug 31, 2012 12:31:31 PM

Hoke Buck,

Please provide for us your definition of "play", when you say Armanti can play 4 positions.

He can't. He can't even play 1. This guy is dead weight and has been for years. Anyone that thinks otherwise you are entitled to your opinion also obviously.

But it's safe to say you graduated from App, dropped out of App or your name is Marty Hurney if you think this guy should be on this NFL roster or any other one. If he gets cut today he's out of the league, it's that simple.

Posted by: Fast Freddie | Aug 31, 2012 12:56:47 PM

Hurney,

Please have one moment of intelligence and cut Munnerlyn today so that you can sign Joselio Hanson to play the nickel d-back position. Munnerlyn = statistically the worst CB in the NFC last year.

Posted by: Fast Freddie | Aug 31, 2012 1:02:40 PM

Hoke Buck,

I can play every position on the field....but like AE, I can't play the positions near the Pro Level. In fact, I am really bad at all of them.

Maybe I just need to be given a few more chances????

Posted by: juice box hero | Aug 31, 2012 1:11:06 PM

5:35 p.m.: A league source tells Joseph Person that WR Armanti Edwards will not be waived by the Panthers.

hahahahah..eat it haters..armanti is hurney personal project, they will not give up on him like most of the idiots on here

Posted by: pantherworld | Aug 31, 2012 5:58:40 PM

Yes, Asu grad here. You guys bad mouthing Armanti must not know much about the guy. It is John Fox and the Panthers organization that have held him back. ASU is not a jr college, you guys are really smart, maybe you guys went to jr college. Armanti already made more than any of us other grads. Keep your hate Armanti comments to yourself, Armanti is a hell of a guy, he doesn't deserve yourcomments from the sidelines. He is there, you aren't

Posted by: Steve | Aug 31, 2012 10:22:14 PM

Try Armanti at QB for a game and see. Who knows. A lot of guys have been called "too small" by the media. The league may never know what they missed because they say he is too small. Whatever, that is why I watch and spend my time in Boone watching college football.I have seen Armanti pull out of tackles, take hits, and throw passes even Cam Newton can't throw. But what would I know, I am not an NFL critic like you guys, I don't waste my time. Peace

Posted by: Steve | Aug 31, 2012 10:28:14 PM