« Updated: Thomas Davis has strained calf, knee OK | Main | Gettis could be back this week »

August 04, 2012

Rivera pleased with team, crowd turnout at Fan Fest

With the largest crowd at Panthers’ Fan Fest since 1996, Carolina head coach Ron Rivera was pleased with the turnout but saw room for improvement from his squad.

Players fed off the 22,070 in attendance on Saturday at their first public practice at Bank of America Stadium since June.

Rivera liked what he saw out of his first-string offense. Led by Cam Newton, the offense was efficient in red zone drills while the defense struggled slightly with the multitude of looks that were thrown at them.

“The hard thing for our defense when we go good-on-good is that (offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski) uses the entire playbook, so they’re going to get everything,” Rivera said. “Our guys are having to react and learn a lot on the defensive side on how to handle the different formations and different looks. That’s a huge plus for our defense.

“The tough thing for us is that because there’s so much misdirection so it’s tough on the guys. So we made some mistakes, but it’s been very good as far as our learning and growing for our defense.”

Impressing on defense was first-round draft pick Luke Kuechly, who picked off Newton after suffered a minor cut on his nostril that required him to go to the locker room during practice. It occurred when he attempted to tackle Jonathan Stewart and one of the running back’s pads went under the linebacker’s helmet and cut his nose.

The crowd was never louder than when the scrimmage concluded and players were able to sign autographs. Newton criss-crossed the field several times to sign autographs in as many areas of the lower bowl as he could before retiring to the locker room.

No score was kept for the scrimmage.

--Jonathan Jones

Posted by Observer Sports on August 4, 2012 at 07:26 PM | Permalink

Comments

Oh wait, you mean Cam Newton signs autographs for free? Geez. I guess he's not a bad guy after all. SMH still at the outrage from a few weeks ago. Great turnout today. Stoked about this coming season. Go Panthers!

Posted by: PantherDave | Aug 4, 2012 7:40:53 PM

Give it Dave....its a business. If it weren't for people taking the autographs and selling them to make a profit, they wouldn't have to charge so much at shows. It's been going on for YEARS!! The baseball shows have been charging since the 90's I know. They used to charge for autograph sessions at the car shows back in the 80's when Boss Hogg and Bo Duke were signing. What has changed in 20 to 25 years?? The price.

Posted by: DT | Aug 4, 2012 9:11:38 PM

Cam signed a hat for my sons and I! Has a great time today. Saw the defense get a few big picks! Over all the offence looked great, but not so sure about the D. Think we may have big problems stopping the run and the long ball.

Posted by: Catfan1980 | Aug 4, 2012 9:12:42 PM

Go Panthers!!! As fans, we need to show more support and faith at games. That means buy tickets, and don't allow opposing fans to dominate our stadium. When our defense is on the field be LOUD, not just on third downs (be loud every damn down), and for the love of god shut up when our offense is on the field. Don't leave the game early if our team is down, because they might make a comeback and could use our help by making noise. You paid for the ticket, might as well enjoy the entire game. As fans, lets do our part to support the team 100%. GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Posted by: PanthersFan | Aug 4, 2012 9:43:18 PM

They did a piss pour job of spreading out the autographs. I drove over 2 hours to only get 2 autographs from 2 scrubs I didn't know. The whole side of the visitors sideline from the 40 yard line to the back of the end zone only 2 scrub players walked over to sign autographs! I seen a lot of sad kids on that side of the field! I thought they should have spread the field better than that! I won't be going back to another Fanfest to cook in the sun for 4 hours only to get to autographs that will be unemployed in a month!

Posted by: DL | Aug 4, 2012 10:26:44 PM

@Catfan1980. Hi Panther Fans!!One game you can be sure that there will be MORE fans than yours is on October 21st, when the boys from Texas come to town. Let go COWBOYS in your home away from home stadium and hand the Panthers a lost!!!

Posted by: Proudmom72 | Aug 4, 2012 11:24:29 PM

@proudmom72... you're probably one of those people from NC who cheer for the cowboys for no apparent reason. The more cowboys fans there on October 21 the better so they can witness the butt whoopin Cam and the Panthers are gona lay on em. Go win a playoff game with Tony Romo then come back and talk..

That is all

Posted by: panther21 | Aug 5, 2012 12:00:20 AM

Cam Newton has been throwing lots of INT'S all camp. Hope he pulls it together. No Pro Bowl performace brother. That was embarrassing.

Posted by: Ryan | Aug 5, 2012 12:06:05 AM

"Let go COWBOYS in your home away from home stadium and hand the Panthers a lost!!"

...a lost!!! Typical illiterate cowboys fan.

Posted by: Phil | Aug 5, 2012 12:16:02 AM

@Proudmom72 Yes, we can tell you are a REAL Cowboy fan due to your poor grammar and general lack of intelligence. As for the game...we will see soon enough.

@DL, I'm sorry you had such a difficult experience during your visit to FanFest. Clearly you were hoping to get some big name autographs so you could cash in on Ebay. "Sad kids"? Yeah, we can tell you really care about the kids too. Funny, you didn't mention any of these "sad kids" turning down autographs no matter who they were from. It is evident that you care nothing for the kids, but only for the sad CHILD that you are.

Posted by: MrMixx | Aug 5, 2012 3:41:43 AM

Took my son and daughter to fan fest. He got six autographs on a football. Thanks to the players who were signing. To bad more players didn't take take the time to sign some for the kids.We seem to be the luckly ones. Some parts of the stadium hardly had anyone there to sign for them. As far as fans from other teams who come to our stadium wearing other team jerseys acting like fools. well thats just what you are.
Stand up and be proud panther fans don't allow this. Be proud and be loud. This is our house.

Posted by: MyrtleBeachPanthers | Aug 5, 2012 9:12:24 AM

I made it out to FanFest and I had the time of my life as a HUGE Panthers fan having been my first time at the stadium.
-Cam threw alotta dump offs or picks. But we'll get it together.
-Beason was looking like a robot. Stewart's legs are HUGE. The crowd loved Cam and he's way bigger in person, really looked like a real life Superman.
-Pilares made some nice catches. Esp. this one on the sideline that he had to turn around and jump up and grabbed on his fingernails.
-Tolbert looked nice.
-Ness had a good day.
-Kuechly had a nice pick over the middle.
SUPER BOWL this year.

Posted by: Godwin | Aug 5, 2012 10:26:26 AM

MrMixx...I don't sell anything on EBAY kid! I have several autographs from where I went to Duke basketball games & have gotten autographs from Austin Rivers & Kyrie Irving & Coach K on basketballs! Where are they now? Sitting in a case in my living room! Not everyone wants to cash in on autographs you big hard on! Some people actually keep things like that & pass it on to there kids like I will one day! Speak what you know... Not what you do!

Posted by: DL | Aug 5, 2012 11:54:31 AM

are the panthers keeping jimmy ciaussen

Posted by: ricky | Aug 5, 2012 1:24:58 PM

when will newton take his #2 jersey back

Posted by: ricky | Aug 5, 2012 1:26:53 PM

I am with Pantherfan.

1- Don't sell to opposing fans(if you can help it)

2- make noise on every defensive down

3- and shut the heck up when we have the ball (especially in the red zone)

Posted by: Non-hunter | Aug 5, 2012 3:13:20 PM

@DL, you're the biggest douchebag I've seen ever post on here!!!! Seriously crying over not getting the autographs YOU WANTED. Oh sorry that the "real" Panther players didn't get with you before hand and find out where you and your precious children were sitting to give you a gee d autograph. You sniveling punk candy crybaby a$$, if i was near you right now I would knock you on your a$$!!!!! I would just be proud and excited to be able to see them, PERIOD!!!! If I got autographs, then icing on the cake. You should be embarassed from that post but I know your self righteous sorry a@@ is not, you em F cry baby!!!!!!! God I feel sorry for your kids. Way to care more for your autographs than the health and excitement for the TEAM. YOU ARE A BIT@H!!!!!!!!

Posted by: WHAT!!!!! | Aug 5, 2012 4:43:13 PM

Forgot about your other sorry lame a$$ post because I was so fired up about the first one.... no wonder you are LOSER and crybaby (a Fluke fan, I mean Duke fan) LOL..... Keep going to Fluke games and getting your precious autographs. Leave the real Panther fans who appreciate the team's desire and commitment to us!!!!!!

UNC and Panther Fan!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: WHAT!!!!! | Aug 5, 2012 4:55:02 PM

The most exciting thing I witnessed at FanFest was the Panthers coming off the field, entering the tunnel to the locker room, and being greeted by the people (both adults and children) with disabilities. The Panthers were most gracious, and I do believe humbled, by the reception given by these folks. They gave autographs and photo opportunities without hesitation. Big smiles on the faces of both the fans and the players. Bonding at it's finest. Men, you are more than football players. GO PANTHERS! MY PANTHERS!

Posted by: Mr. Ray | Aug 5, 2012 5:17:34 PM

@ CatFan1980...remember our defense is going up ugainst the #1 Dynamic Offense in the league everyday in practice. This defense will take form at best along with the offfense in route to the Title! GO PANTHERS!!!

Posted by: BofA Fan | Aug 5, 2012 6:01:53 PM

@ CatFan1980--Glad you and the family enjoyed Fan Fest. Rivera knows scouts and haters are out there lurking and taking notes, not added the guys that will get cut and other teams will pick them up just to get info on the Panthers as to what are there season goals, strategy, and formations, etc. Rivera is going to put us in the least position of having scouts or media take advantage of information obtained from us. 53 Man get here and you will see this team shine, through and through! GO PANTHERS!!!

Posted by: BofA Fan | Aug 5, 2012 6:11:24 PM

Not gonna complain too much, but why was this not full contact? All they did was "touch" each other down.

Posted by: Tyler | Aug 5, 2012 6:46:35 PM

WHAT??? I see you love showing off your unc education! Go suck an egg you idiot!

Posted by: DL | Aug 5, 2012 7:30:56 PM

I post a simple comment about my section not getting any players in our section of the stadium & a couple of rednecks didn't like what I said & you punks are sitting at home probably living with your mothers & had to bum a ride to BOA Stadium yesterday...posting comments like you can kick somebody's butt! You can't fight your way out of a wet paper bag you Iittle turd! If I was in Charlotte I'd kick both your candy A$$ if I could find which McDonalds you work at I would go back up there! But I'm sure you're not worth the time

Posted by: DL | Aug 5, 2012 7:39:27 PM

Once again comments on the observer are the bastion of Panther knowledge...

anyway GO PANTHERS