« NFL commissioner not welcome at restaurant partly owned by Beason | Main | Talking 'The Office' with superfan Byron Bell »

August 22, 2012

Steve Smith misses practice with foot infection

Carolina Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith missed Wednesday's practice to see a doctor about an infection in his left foot.

Smith was seen on crutches returning to Bank of America Stadium with the team trainer.

Panthers coach Ron Rivera said Smith is being treated with antibiotics. Rivera said trainers are waiting for the swelling to go down before deciding whether Smith will play Sunday against the Jets.

Smith has practiced once since last week's exhibition win against Miami. Smith caught one pass for 15 yards against the Dolphins before he and the rest of the starters came out near the end of the first quarter.

Panthers No. 2 wideout Brandon LaFell does not expect Smith to be out long, calling Smith "an Ironman."

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on August 22, 2012 at 03:50 PM | Permalink

Comments

I'm not buying the its not serious stuff when it comes to injuries anymore...they said the same thing about Jon beason and he has not practiced in 3 plus weeks. So when I see the player back then that's when he is back I'm not listening to a timetable on when they will be back anymore

Posted by: freeze8575 | Aug 22, 2012 4:44:14 PM

They always say it is not considered serious. We are not buying that BS line anymore!

Posted by: rickmcc | Aug 22, 2012 5:18:38 PM

sounds like an ingrown toe nail?

Posted by: joe cool | Aug 22, 2012 5:19:40 PM

Rub some dirt on it Smitty.

Posted by: Man Up | Aug 22, 2012 5:42:57 PM

Smitty doesn't need to practice. Let Smitty, Beason and Davis sit til the season starts.

Posted by: Jerry Richardson | Aug 22, 2012 5:50:36 PM

alot more confident in smitty than beason...i think beason is out for awhile

Posted by: bull123 | Aug 22, 2012 6:13:05 PM

Who let all the Falcons in?

Posted by: Phil | Aug 22, 2012 6:31:31 PM

ingrown toenail to me, he had it remove, been there, he will be back in week..

Posted by: pantherlife | Aug 22, 2012 6:48:28 PM

Smith with be just fine

Posted by: Relpaysos | Aug 22, 2012 6:52:07 PM

Thought the same thing with the ingrown toenail. Would have been laughed at if the truth announced so they went with an infection. Who gets a foot infection these days? Spider bite? Step on a rusty nail? Ingrown toenail for sure. Cut the thing a little tight there Smitty?

Posted by: Jellybean | Aug 22, 2012 10:16:10 PM

Now what?? This is what I've been afraid of since last season. Smitty is our only "elite" receiver and the rest are unproven. I know LaFell came on strong at the end of the season, but I'm still not completely sold on him. Some of the sports analyists are wondering why we didn't upgrade the WR position. I know we need all the defensive help we can get, but we have some great defensive guys coming back this year, and I believe we could have gotten either Floyd or Jeffery, and still gotten Luke

Posted by: I've seen it too | Aug 23, 2012 5:24:36 AM

Other teams with Lesser QB's are loading up on WR's and quality free agents. Cam has an arm and needs to pass the ball. He can throw to the RB's and tight end, but he needs a deep threat WR. This is becoming a passing league and we are now loaded with RB's and have no real proven depth at the critical position of WR.

Posted by: I've seen it too | Aug 23, 2012 5:41:19 AM

I'd like to see some pics of that foot :)

Posted by: Rex Ryan | Aug 23, 2012 8:07:07 AM