« Rivera: Smith's words to Newton should have stayed private | Main | Newton: No problem with 'big brother' Smith »

September 24, 2012

Criticism of celebration brings change

Greglittleusainbolt

Cleveland Browns wide receiver Greg Little does the Usain Bolt pose after a first down during Sunday's loss to the Cincinnati Bengals.

Carolina Panthers Cam Newton isn't the only Carolinas athlete facing scrutiny over celebrations when his team is losing.

Former North Carolina wide receiver Greg Little, now with the Cleveland Browns, said Monday after practice that he’s not going to do “the Bolt pose” after first downs because it’s being perceived negatively.

“I think,” Little said, “if we were 3-0 I think everybody would be doing the pose, but we’re 0-3 so everybody does not want to see that.”

We'll find out Wednesday how Cam Newton reacts to similar criticism.

Posted by Observer Sports on September 24, 2012 at 05:41 PM | Permalink

Comments

Dumb jocks. Showboats. Disgraceful.

Posted by: dumbjock | Sep 24, 2012 5:59:58 PM

I'm a big Cam fan but this celebration stuff has gotten way out of hand. Time for him to act like he's been there before.

Posted by: Ted | Sep 24, 2012 6:58:45 PM

I don't care what you do as long as you win!

Posted by: joe cool | Sep 24, 2012 7:22:23 PM

Cam: "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy"

Posted by: CLTfan | Sep 24, 2012 7:55:17 PM

Cam and all others jumping around need to model themselves after Manning of the Giants who is professional and earns respect.

Posted by: Rcncman | Sep 24, 2012 8:20:13 PM

I'm a fan of Smitty's, but he's really getting on my nerves lately. I noticed he did his little celebration when he caught the ball long after the game was lost. It's his ritual and he isn't going to change it. Superman is Cam's ritual....same thing.

Posted by: I've seen it too | Sep 25, 2012 1:54:15 AM

Posted by: I've seen it too | Sep 25, 2012 1:54:16 AM

Next thing you know, you can't sing in the shower. It's disrespectful to the sanctity of bathing yourself. Seriously people, it's football, a game, have some fun. Get the stick out before you give yourself blisters.

Posted by: Andy | Sep 25, 2012 2:11:04 AM

^Bingo. People act as if this is a real job that brings change to the world lol. Its football people. Its a sport meant to entertain you. That's all. So I guess all football players need to be little robots that don't do anything, lifeless with no emotions during games.
Thanks "IVE SEEN IT TO" for pointing out Smith's hypocrisy. He also pouted and whined through all of 2010, wanted to be traded, and gave up on the team.

Posted by: defensewinsgames | Sep 25, 2012 6:12:13 AM

i agree smitty is no faking saint, all the sht he pulled over the years..this is football people..

Posted by: pantherworld | Sep 25, 2012 8:25:05 AM

a simple gesture isn't as stupid as running a full page ad in the paper promising a super bowl game when your team stinks.

that is the kind of stuff that needs to be toned down, haha

Posted by: big gulps | Sep 25, 2012 9:40:34 AM

let it go people its not that deep.cam hates to lose, so pouts when things are going badly. but he still loves the game he plays so he celebrates the positives. let it go!!!

Posted by: jimmy holmes | Sep 25, 2012 3:14:43 PM

/\
This Guy: Ringling Bros NFL Clown Act
Is stupid

Posted by: theTRUTH | Sep 26, 2012 12:43:13 PM

Ringling Bros NFL Clown Act, you are surely that. You take yourself too seriously. This about football, which is entertainment and you take up time to inject your right-wing political ideology.

Sounds like you know Thurston is gonna lose and you rant about socialism, which haven't a clue about. Stick to bowling because there's too much diversity in football for you.

Posted by: qdog112 | Sep 26, 2012 2:19:59 PM

It's just a game. Relax people.

Posted by: Really? | Sep 26, 2012 3:06:12 PM