« Criticism of celebration brings change | Main | Panthers not moving Kuechly to the middle »

September 26, 2012

Newton: No problem with 'big brother' Smith

Panthers quarterback Cam Newton said Wednesday during his weekly press conference that veteran wide receiver Steve Smith is like a big brother to him.

Newton brushed off the news from last week that detailed a late-game sideline discussion he had with Smith in which the receiver said he "lit into" the second-year quarterback.

"Steve Smith talks to me every single day. And obviously it’s a teaching moment, so for you to just single something out like that is kind of bogus for me," Newton said. "Because after this meeting he’s probably going to say something to me. I look up to Smitty as if he’s my big brother, and he has a very big impact on how I play and just having a mindset because he has done it and has lived it.

"I have much respect for Smitty, and yeah he talked to me after the game, but he talked to me the day after too, and will probably talk to me again today. It’s nothing like when Smitty talks to me it’s a big deal because I feel like I can call Smitty on any case—on the field or off the field."

--Jonathan Jones

Posted by Observer Sports on September 26, 2012 at 03:05 PM | Permalink

Comments

Then I feel you should take your big brothers advice! Act like a champion on the field,sideline and life.

Posted by: Catfan1980 | Sep 26, 2012 3:51:15 PM

Fire Hurney now!

Posted by: hurneyisareporternotagm | Sep 26, 2012 4:09:16 PM

Is Marty Hurney married to Jerry Richardson's daughter?

Posted by: KEVIN | Sep 26, 2012 4:19:22 PM

Cam, no worries. When you contract runs out you can run away from here as fast as your feet can take you. This two horse town is not big enough for you or your smile. They think football, we think entertainer of the year. Remember it is not how many rings you win, it is how many you can wear on your next GQ cover!

Posted by: 2livecru | Sep 26, 2012 4:27:27 PM

I'll jump on the fire Hurney bandwagon! Someone should start a facebook page to see how many "likes" you get!

Posted by: Mike P | Sep 26, 2012 4:28:47 PM

GREAT line from Jimmy Johnson on NFL pregame on FOx this past weekend.

"It seems Cam is a lot more into Cam than he is into the Panthers."

He should win the DUH HUH award. Cam is NOT and has NEVER been a team player. He is a cancer on this team, and I for one can't wait until both he and Smitty are gone.

Posted by: Funkthat | Sep 26, 2012 4:29:23 PM

Cam: "The ultimate measure of a MAN is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Posted by: CLTfan | Sep 26, 2012 4:42:09 PM

Man I tell you it is hard to believe that a 4 year pro acts like this!!! Wait oh that's right he is a SECOND YEAR PRO!!!!! You hold him up when he makes big plays worry if he leaves after his rookie contract, now bash him for having a very bad game! That covers everything! Why would you want him to leave because of this? No one is talking about how the defense got a mud-hole stomped in it's backside are they. No one talking about that two of the turnovers were Joe Adams fault. No we put it all on Cam! This is a joke. He was this way last year and it will take time for him to change. But when he does he wont be here in Carolina he will be some where else. We as fans are idiots because we build them up just to knock them back down. Why don't we as fans grow-up and let this man grow as well. How many of us did questionable things in our early twenties?

Posted by: What? | Sep 26, 2012 4:46:23 PM

I agree with What.its just mind boggling how when they win and Cam has a good game all you read is how good he is.have a bad game and the loser fans come out.

Posted by: allen | Sep 26, 2012 4:59:04 PM

Now that everyone has kissed and made up lets get back to the essentials here and thats FOOTBALL and a game plan for stopping the Falcons on Sunday!!!! We need a record of 2-2 by Sunday evening!!!!!

Posted by: big daddy | Sep 26, 2012 5:01:14 PM

Yo funk this and that, we gonna biyatch slap yo Nawlins thugs again down in smellydome oileans. You li'l 12year old punk. I'm gonna luv yo mommy.

Posted by: McClatch | Sep 26, 2012 5:09:06 PM

Marty Hurney loves these arguments between players. This way the spolight stays off of him and his horrible decision making. Time for this guy to go. I've had enough of starting 5th round draft picks and brining in back up secondary guys. Enough is Enough. FIRE HURNEY!

Posted by: Smitty | Sep 26, 2012 5:12:30 PM

Say "What?"! Right on dude! They'll be the same ones pissin and moanin if he takes off! What do they think the Panthers would be without him? I'll admit he's got alot of maturing to do, but like you said, who didn't do stupid things in their early 20's. I could've gone to jail for some of them! Ha!

Posted by: Swizzle52 | Sep 26, 2012 5:15:42 PM

Bob Ryan summed it up best: His best act should be NO ACT.

When he learns to grow up and concentrate on being an outstanding overall QB is the only way he'll be professionally successful. Otherwise...

Posted by: Rick | Sep 26, 2012 5:41:28 PM

Can someone please report on who practiced today and who didn't? What about Gettis, hows he doing? Geez, tired of this tabloid crap, lets talk football people.

Posted by: Fan | Sep 26, 2012 5:51:51 PM

I am embarrased by the Charlotte so-called fans and how they are throwing Cam under the bus! The QB can't play every position, and the OL and D and special teams were terrible. Cam was hardly on the field long enough to get into any kind of rhythm as the defense just allowed Eli to march down the field and throw to wide open receivers.

Posted by: I've seen it too | Sep 26, 2012 7:03:49 PM

I love the Carolina Panthers but we have some of the most fickle fans in all of sports. I've never seen a group of fans that praises everything about the team during good times but throws everybody under the bus when things don't go well. Admittedly, I was one of the pissed off fans wanting to see results immediately. We were all embarrassed by that loss but I'm not gonna give up on the kid. He still has the highest ceiling in the NFL and happens to play for our team so why not encourage him and help him grow. As I mentioned before, I heard more Giants fans on Thursday night than I heard Panther fans.....we need to support the cats all the time, not just when things are going well

Posted by: TruePantherFan | Sep 26, 2012 7:14:40 PM

I forgot to mention that a poster mentioned that he heard what Cam said when he did his superman thing at the end of the third quarter. He said let's get back into this thing! He was trying to motive the fans, himself, and teammates. Smitty did his little celebration thing late in the game just for catching the ball! At least Cam kept the Giants from skunking us. People are SO good at assuming that they know what someone else's intentions are when they really have no clue. Some of these people have NO idea just how good of a QB we have and are very lucky to have him. I hope he realizes that there are thousands of us out here that DON't agree with Smitty or the turn-coat fans on this one, and I truly wouldn't blame him if he asked for a trade!
As for Kevin Siers.....what a jerk, and I'll never look at one of his cartoons again! What he did is so cruel.
Cam has made Panther football fun to watch again, and some of you don't even appreciate that fact. Does he do everything right? Of course not, did you at 23, or even now? OH, I forgot, you guys are paragons of virtue!!! I think he has been a model citizen since he's been here and I'm proud as heck that he's our QB!!!

Posted by: I've seen it too | Sep 26, 2012 7:21:44 PM

You guys are full of shit!!

Posted by: whodatnation | Sep 26, 2012 11:01:48 PM

I've been in Charlotte all my life and we are lucky to have a player the caliber of Cam Newton playing here and embracing our city. A cartoon of Cam as a kitty is ridiculous. So now we're turning on one of our own as if we have stars lining up to play in Charlotte or even visit for that matter. Please. Don't get beside ourselves. This is a small market with some backwards minded, non progressive inhabitants. Be thankful for Cam and don't bite the hand that's feeding you.

Posted by: William Hughes | Sep 26, 2012 11:23:42 PM

Kevin Siers is a DICK!!

Posted by: skywalker1 | Sep 26, 2012 11:42:43 PM

Cam is the shit yall are all bitches

Posted by: blake | Sep 27, 2012 7:26:32 AM

Falcon rat: I respect your record but that is the kind of attitude that has the saints starting 0-3.

But if you want suspensions and losses go ahead. I´m just trying to help, kind of like an older brother.

Posted by: Thorrez | Sep 27, 2012 9:43:38 AM

Fickle fans or not. Many wasted a lot of time, effort, and cash last Thursday night. The product the Panthers put on the field was complete and utter garbage. Fans have a right to express their anger. That said, lets at least compete with Atlanta. I think we all know a win is a pipe dream.

Posted by: Fan | Sep 27, 2012 9:55:45 AM

I don't think the Carolina is Football community, there more into Collegiate Basketball. The Pro Football team isn't that good. I don't see the improvement on Defense. I don't Coach Rivera will stay with Cam Newton if the team isn't winning going forward. Cam may not have the luxury of an Alexis Smith who took seven yrs to show any progress as a QB

Posted by: hardkid24 | Sep 27, 2012 11:49:10 AM