« Comparing RG3 and Cam Newton | Main | Stewart, Smith questionable for Sunday's game »

September 13, 2012

Ron Rivera, Panthers have Ryan Kalil's back

Panthers center Ryan Kalil bought a newspaper ad promising a Super Bowl run. His coach bought a box of T-shirts supporting Kalil's pledge in the Charlotte Observer.

Panthers' players have been wearing shirts with a Panthers' logo on the front and the message, “I have Ryan Kalil's back” on the back.

They were placed in players' lockers last week at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., where the Panthers practiced for four days before their Week 1 loss at Tampa Bay. Kalil said he appreciated Ron Rivera's gesture.

“Coach had them there. I believe it when he says that,” Kalil said Thursday. “We've just got to make sure we've got his back, and get done what we've got to get done.”

Before the Panthers began training camp in July, Kalil bought a full-page ad in the Observer that he called a rallying cry for the fans. He wrote about ending the season in New Orleans with a “sterling silver victory.”

Offensive lineman Garry Williams thought the ad – and shirts – were great.

“We all wear it with pride because that's what we believe. We all have his back. The statement he made in the paper shows true leadership. I've had his back since day one, and I still do,” Williams said.

“You see a lot of guys wearing it around here – not just a T-shirt to have one, but because they believe in what's on the back.”

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on September 13, 2012 at 04:29 PM | Permalink

Comments

It certainly didnt help them beat the lowly Buccaneers

Posted by: StickMyVickInDaMashedPotatoes | Sep 13, 2012 4:58:14 PM

2004 - Carolina Panthers make it to the NFC Championshp and win. Then on to the superbowl - all wore the "KEEP POUNDING" tshirts under their uniform in honor of Sam Mills. Does double R know the history of the team? Is that the reason for the shirts. BELONG - BELIEVE...but W.I.N!!!!!

GO PANTHERS!

Posted by: PantherPrince | Sep 13, 2012 5:23:39 PM

PantherPrince-I like where your heads at. Stuff like that help build that togetherness and us against the world mentality. Hopefully last week was just a fluke. I personally think this team is a year away from making any kind of run, but I hope to heck I'm wrong!

Posted by: Mike P | Sep 13, 2012 5:30:59 PM

Can the o line block with some pride....

Posted by: freeze8575 | Sep 13, 2012 5:34:39 PM

suck the faints!!! po ganthers!!!

Posted by: matt sorrells | Sep 13, 2012 7:19:16 PM

suck the faints!!! po ganthers!!!

Posted by: matt sorrells | Sep 13, 2012 7:19:18 PM

PantherPrince- dont forget about Mark Fields that year he and Sam both promoted and insiled the keep ponding attitude agiant cancer and all adversity.

Posted by: pantherboy | Sep 13, 2012 7:35:10 PM

Tough loss last week.....let's not relive it....learn and keep moving.....

Posted by: Douglas DeBerry | Sep 13, 2012 8:05:52 PM

I can't believe that people are saying we should have beaten the "lowanyly" Bucs! Didn't anyone notice that the Bucs not only have new coaches, but they have seriously upgraded their talent from last year. Sports blogs have been ta

Posted by: I've seen it too | Sep 13, 2012 11:23:35 PM

I'm having computer problems, forgive my previous post. It should say "lowly" Bucs. But they are a much better team this year and have not only more talent, but a new coaching staff. Sports blogs have been calling them a team to watch this year!

Posted by: I've seen it too | Sep 13, 2012 11:26:53 PM

Posted by: I've seen it too | Sep 13, 2012 11:26:54 PM

I want to buy one of those shirts! I wish they would have them for sale at the stadium! I would buy one on Sunday.

Posted by: TLHB70 | Sep 14, 2012 10:43:30 AM

LESS YAP YAP, MORE HEAD SLAP. Tired of talking. You don't get to talk Super Bowl when you can't make it past the Yuckaneers. GET TO WORK.

Posted by: Man Up | Sep 14, 2012 12:38:04 PM

Go cats. Made the shirt below

Posted by: Andy D | Sep 14, 2012 1:18:31 PM