« Panthers trim roster on cut day (updated) | Main | Smith and Beason return to practice, Stewart sits »

September 02, 2012

Panthers cut McClain, sign Edwards

The Panthers signed a pair of defensive tackles in the third round last year. One of them is already gone.

The Panthers released underperforming defensive tackle Terrell McClain and signed veteran defensive tackle Dwan Edwards, the team announced Sunday.

Team officials were disappointed with the preseason play of McClain, who started 12 games as a rookie before a sprained knee ended his season.

Edwards was released by Buffalo after spending the past two seasons with the Bills, who had a glut of defensive linemen, including Pro Bowl defensive end Mario Williams.

Edwards, 6-3 and 301 pounds, was a second-round draft pick by Baltimore in 2004. He has played in 85 games and started 45, with 150 career tackles and 5.5 sacks.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on September 2, 2012 at 11:22 AM | Permalink

Comments

Another wasted draft pick on a bust of a player by Marty "Sports Writer" Hurney

Posted by: PantherJohn | Sep 2, 2012 12:15:01 PM

Another dousche bag hater

Posted by: NorthKakylak | Sep 2, 2012 12:21:50 PM

Why does everyone hate on Marty? He has built a team that every fan here is excited about. Who's the the one that took a risk on Cam Newton when many said no?

For those bashing his pick..Sure he makes mistakes, but every gm in football takes risks and doesn't succeed. Marty has more than likely drafted your favorite panther

Posted by: Carolinapfan | Sep 2, 2012 12:48:59 PM

This one is on McClain. He had every chance to impress the coaches and did not do so. He seemed to not really care either way. The NFL is a performance based operation.

Posted by: James Reed | Sep 2, 2012 1:01:27 PM

The Panthers have a better coaching staff than they have ever had including Hurney. They may or may not have a great record this year but it likely won't be the fault of coaching and missing on picks. People who criticize couldn't do as well and most couldn't find the stadium.

Posted by: Rcncman | Sep 2, 2012 1:07:26 PM

Move makes sense, McClain saw third team reps against Pitt, a sign that he certainly was in the doghouse.

This move clearly signals that the team saw D-Line as a bigger need than CB. Don't forget Neblett is the likely starter once returning from suspension!

Posted by: Why Not! | Sep 2, 2012 1:17:48 PM

I'm surprised-to be honest I thought they'd cut Fua before they cut T-Mac. I can only assume they thought Edwards and Fua were a better fit as a 3-technique then T-Mac. I will say, (and I'm not a hater), that of the wasted picks, I thought T-Mac was still a better investment than Armanti. Oh well, let's get the season started.

Posted by: Man Up | Sep 2, 2012 1:19:53 PM

Best move of the off season was cutting Nannee.....instantly making LaFell better....and now giving Murphy a shot.
Best move of the pre season was cutting McClain....hope they give Campbell the job....he looked very, very good Thursday.

Posted by: Big Ron | Sep 2, 2012 1:49:33 PM

Hurney, you screwed up drafting Armanti, you screwed up keeping Armanti, you screwed up drafting Clausen, you screwed up keeping Clausen. You have messed up so many drafts with your misses that this team cannot recover from your mistakes. Jerry Richardson is just as big of an IDIOT for letting this go on this long.
Bill Polian should never have been let go and this Panther team is no closer to the Super Bowl than it was in 1995. Until you get rid of Armanti, you have one less Panther fan...I hope you lose every phuckin' game.

Posted by: I'd Fire Marty Hurney | Sep 2, 2012 2:02:53 PM

I'd Fire Marty Hurney..

that's great one less IDIOT panthers fan

lets go panthers...

Posted by: getatLO | Sep 2, 2012 2:19:48 PM

Panthers continue to waste draft picks, especially over the past three years. In spite, this was a decent move.

Posted by: par404 | Sep 2, 2012 3:04:46 PM

Psnther john you are a girly man. We hate 'aints posers, stay on nola.com

Posted by: jennyjohnsonjones repubhater | Sep 2, 2012 3:05:58 PM

Marty hater you are a wussy. Please stay gone you idiot.

Posted by: jennyjohnsonjones repubhater | Sep 2, 2012 3:09:14 PM

jennyjohnson...just tell me where we can meet so I can give you something to polish. Wussy? Yeah, right. Marty Hurney is a piece of sh!t and can't draft one lick. Eric Shelton? Nice. Bruce Nelson? What a winning pick. Mike Seidman? See, you don't even know who he is. Keary Colbert? Drew Carter? Dwayne Jarrett? and now Armanti Edwards?

This guy couldn't recognize a decent receiver if his life depended on it.

Call me names? Yeah, I'm not the one who is backing this ayywhole! How can you pathetic losers blindly cheer on people who don't do their jobs? I guess that's the way the rednecks do it down south.

Posted by: I'd Fire Marty Hurney | Sep 2, 2012 4:15:50 PM

You're missing the point. We just improved the team by adding a starting caliber DT, and someone had to go to open a spot for him. McClain was inconsistent and underwhelming in camp. Yes, Hurney has missed on his share of draft decisions, but what GM hasn't? Why do you feel the need to make this about failed draft picks when at the end of the day this is a good move for the Panthers?

Posted by: DB | Sep 2, 2012 4:23:57 PM

This was on Pro Football Talk EARLY this morning!

Posted by: Greg | Sep 2, 2012 4:26:34 PM

@I'd fire Marty Hurnry - Hurney "couldn't recognize a decent receiver if his life depended on it?" Maybe you got dropped on your head recently or something, but perhaps you have forgotten that little guy Hurney drafted in the 3rd Round back in 2000... Hurney's very first draft... What was his name... Oh yeah, Steve Smith. He's been alright... Lol, what a moron.

Posted by: swizzlesticks | Sep 2, 2012 4:45:07 PM

Bill Belichick draft history:
The current "King" of footballhas a less than stellar draft history. Check out the article:

Drafting is a gamble at best, and no one has it perfected, due to something called human behavior.

Posted by: I'd fire "I'd fire Marty Hurney" | Sep 2, 2012 5:30:18 PM

Hurney was not GM when Smith was drafted. Simply look at the record and all the busted picks and it is not hard to see that he is not picking players on a consistent level. He misses on too many high picks and misses on even more middle round picks. He has given up picks the following year twice and failed both times, Edwards and Brown.

In his ten years as GM, we have made the playoffs 3 times. The guy simply does not have the eye to identify players on a consistent level.

For those defend him, why has he not assembled a team that has a winning record over his tenure, and only made the playoffs three times? Case closed I win.

Posted by: Steven | Sep 2, 2012 5:42:22 PM

@ I'd Fire Marty Hurney

First off, you are clearly immature.
Secondly, thank you for NOT being a Panther fan. I am glad that Panther Nation is no longer associated with you. Please go away and never return.

Posted by: J. Mixon | Sep 2, 2012 5:43:08 PM

Seem's like Carolina fans have no idea what it takes to be a fans. They are always wanting to fire someone. bunch of low class idiots

Posted by: Cuious | Sep 2, 2012 6:09:52 PM

Swizzlenuts...Hurney wasn't the GM until 2002.

J. Mixon, I'd like to personally tell you that you are part of the problem. As a sheep, you simply follow whatever you are told, and question nothing. What a good little redneck! Sorry, but there's accountability at every position and with every Title. Marty Hurney has been the GM for 10 years now and this team is rubbish.

In the 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2005 NFL Draft, only the 1st Round picks are even still playing in the NFL. That is PATHETIC! You Panther fans don't hold your organization to a higher standard, like the Steelers, like the Patriots, like the Packers,like the Giants, and like the Ravens.

You are SHEEP! The Panthers will NOT make the Playoffs in 2012, and you foolish confederates still have Marty Hurney to thank for it all.

Posted by: I'd Fire Marty Hurney | Sep 2, 2012 7:20:53 PM

I'd fire marty hurney is the only smart poster on here, besides myself

Posted by: Steven | Sep 2, 2012 7:29:34 PM

Man up, I thought the samething Fua is Bad bad.
Don't know where all this love for Hurney has come from, guess bandwagoners have come around since we are on the upswing now!

Hurney is terrible how bout Otah,Everette brown,Clausen, now he holds on to Armanti because he(Hurney) doesn't want to look stupid AGAIN!

Cuious.. Another "Transplant" here to tell how bad the fans are here. Well guess what the fans are "Transplants".

Posted by: 10-4!! | Sep 2, 2012 9:32:48 PM

I'd fire Marty Hurney.. I would too, however you think we are not going to make the playoffs this year you are sadly mistaken.
Again I will tell you as I told Cuious your running your mouth to your own "kind" Transplants!

Posted by: 10-4!! | Sep 2, 2012 9:40:44 PM