« Ron Rivera, Panthers have Ryan Kalil's back | Main | Panthers update injury report vs. Saints »

September 14, 2012

Stewart, Smith questionable for Sunday's game

Running back Jonathan Stewart and wide receiver Steve Smith are listed as questionable for Sunday's game against the New Orleans Saints, but head coach Ron Rivera is hopeful that without any setbacks between now at gametime the two will play.

Stewart (ankle) participated fully in practice again on Friday. Smith (knee) battled soreness yesterday but Rivera said he had a good practice.

"I think based on what we want to do offensively, we need those playmakers out there for us," Rivera said. "Offensively we do suffer because we have different style of players. Steve’s different from Brandon LaFell, and they're different from Murph (Louis Murphy). And our running back trio is a different combination of guys so you have to keep that combination because it adds a little bit of doubt to who you play."

Guard Mike Pollack is doubtful for the game after suffering what Rivera called a shoulder stinger earlier this week. He was on the exercise bike at practice Friday, and the coach said it's not looking good for his return Sunday.

Listed as probable are Jeff Byers (knee), Greg Hardy (illness) and Kenny Onatolu (personal).

--Jonathan Jones

Posted by Observer Sports on September 14, 2012 at 01:18 PM | Permalink

Comments

at what point is this team going to stop over relying on Smith.. its Sad.

Posted by: nick | Sep 14, 2012 2:12:25 PM

Stewart and Smith are BOTH playing...trying to mess with the Ain'ts. Good guys win by 10. Ain't drop to 0-2. Bawhahahahaha!!!

Posted by: Panther Pete | Sep 14, 2012 2:16:17 PM

Isn't there a life raft you should be floating on right now? No one here speaks voodoo cajun gibberish. Go stuff a voodoo doll in your yap hole freak.

Posted by: Man Up | Sep 14, 2012 3:36:32 PM

BOOLAH BOOLAH AU DAU DA SHEA DAU creole jambalaya BOOLAH

Posted by: Man Up | Sep 14, 2012 3:37:45 PM

BOOLAH BOOLAH AU DAU DA SHEA DAU creole jambalaya BOOLAH

Posted by: Man Up | Sep 14, 2012 3:37:50 PM

Its strange how this so called high powered offense gets alot of yards, but cant get into the endzone. Sadly Jake Delhomme didnt get alot of yards but he and Steve Smith got alot of TD'S..Its time for Cam Newton to get more TD'S..300 Yards games dont mean squat if you only score 10 points..No team in the NFL makes it to the Superbowl when you cant score!

Posted by: KENJ | Sep 14, 2012 3:38:51 PM

On a different note Jake Delhomme won alot of games in the 4th quarter...Cam newton is like the old Lebron James: give him a dollar and he only give you 3 quaters in return...

Posted by: KENJ | Sep 14, 2012 3:42:49 PM

Saints 40 Panthers 17

Posted by: Hoke Buck | Sep 14, 2012 4:03:06 PM

Blood and guts... yeah for the saints @ B of A. You Goon "Gobble" is a turkey, idiot!

D-will and J-stew and tolbert total 300 all purpose by themselves, not including Smitty,olsen etc.

Ugly for the Paperbag Heads

Posted by: 10-4!! | Sep 14, 2012 7:57:42 PM

Panthers fan from Seattle here.I think its time to trade Deangelo Williams he is closing in on the age 30.Remmember all runningbacks and one of them Shawn Alexander from Seattle when he hit 30 he only played two more seasons after that 11td's in two years, 27 before that in 2005.I think its time to trade him for WR or for a DE Quinton Coples or somebody else

Posted by: Panthers31 | Sep 14, 2012 10:10:06 PM

panthers31(should mind my business, 10-4!!),

Deagelo runs well out of the traditonal formations.. QB under center and basically "pass action Type". Running too the hole, rather than trying to find a hole, from Shotgun!

Chud!!!!!!!! HAS GOT TOO STOP THE WHATEVER VERSION OF WILD CAT,OPTION,TEBOW BALL etc....!!!!!!!!
That Formation should have been killed after last season for sure... BOTTOM LINE IF PANTHERS ARE STILL USING THAT FORMATION TOO "SUIT" CAM(more Comfortable for him)!!!!!!!!!! WOW THEY HAVE A WHOLE OTHER PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Play Action is the Formation for every top QB in this league! Aaron Rod., Peyton, Brees, eli, Brady... WHO THE F@#$#!!!! YOU WANT TO NAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mix the rest of the SH$T!! in FOR STRATEGY!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE will not when out of the "SHOTGUN STYLE FORMATION" the rest of the season..... Its over DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shotgun... allows to TELEGRAPH!! keep a SPY in and meet CAM or RB at the line of Scrimmage!!!!!!!!!!

bOTTOM lINE I HAVE NOT SEEN THIS MUCH TALENT ON A TEAM IN A LONG WHILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As a Complete TEAM IN LONG TIME IF YOU CAN "GELLLLLLLL INTO A UNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Posted by: 10-4!! | Sep 14, 2012 10:38:36 PM

I don't know about trading williams, but I'm still puzzled about the organization not picking up a promising WR for Steve to mentor. Smitty will take a beating on injuries because they will double him as teams won't respect the other receivers. Also, I think we should have tried to keep Shockey. He was a little strange, but he could play. I hate that Smitty has to even consider playing with his foot AND knee problem as it's a long season and just forget it if he goes on IR.

Posted by: I've seen it too | Sep 14, 2012 10:41:13 PM

Posted by: I've seen it too | Sep 14, 2012 10:41:14 PM

We will not WIN!!!!!!! is what I meant.. Sorry.
HOW THE "F" CAN YOU RUN SHOTGUN, ON 95% OF THE PLAYS WHEN THEY CAN STAND BACK AT LEAST 2YDS FROM THE NORMAL AND SEE EXACTLY WHAT U ARE DOING!!!!!!!!!!

Its like a reverse FOXIE!!!!!!!!! No running and alll passing! Never thought I would be bitching about all the throwing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOW!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: 10-4!! | Sep 14, 2012 10:48:50 PM

I only hit post ONCE. Why did it post twice? Oh well, as long as I'm here, I hope the Panthers have a great game and pull this on out. A tough game for sure, but they're capable if everyone plays well.

Posted by: I've seen it too | Sep 14, 2012 10:54:41 PM

Posted by: I've seen it too | Sep 14, 2012 10:54:45 PM

At what point does Hurney get fired? We are going to start 0-3 and not make the playoffs again. Yet Jerry Richardson is going to allow the same guy that has proven time in time again he can't put a playoff team together another opportunity. Sad Jerry.

Posted by: Steven | Sep 15, 2012 7:14:51 AM

My god... some of these comments are borderline unreadable. Seems like ever since Procton left these comments sections have degradeed in intelligence and thoughtfulness.

Posted by: Magikarp | Sep 15, 2012 9:23:34 AM

Magikarp.... degradeed, comments sections!

Don't be a jerk and analyze everyone, add a comment.

Posted by: 10-4!! | Sep 15, 2012 9:34:09 AM

all i was saying is we have got to get away from the "option".
"shotgun" spells telegraphing ur play!

Posted by: 10-4!! | Sep 15, 2012 10:27:25 PM