« Steve Smith to walk barefoot for charity | Main | Schiano on Cam: 'He does everything' »

September 05, 2012

Stewart still sidelined, Newton not prognosticating

BRADENTON, Fla.

It turns out the Panthers didn't have to clear out of Bank of America Stadium.

But even after learning that President Obama's acceptance speech Thursday had been moved to Time Warner Cable Arena, Panthers' players said they were glad to escape the DNC week and get away to Florida.

The Panthers practiced for two hours in full pads Wednesday at IMG Academy, where temperatures hovered in the high-80s with plenty of humidity. But there was enough of a breeze to make it bearable.

Running back Jonathan Stewart (ankle) ran and did cuts on the side, then worked on an underwater treadmill. Ron Rivera said Stewart he is optimistic Stewart will play Sunday against Tampa Bay, but will not know for sure until later in the week.

Meanwhile, Panthers quarterback Cam Newton believes the offense -- a top-10 unit last year under coordinator Rob Chudzinski -- can be even better with a full offseason to perfect it.

But Newton, the AP Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2011, wasn't ready to make any bold predictions.

"I think there's a lot of guys that are getting it, including myself," Newton said. "But I think it will be answered on Sunday.

"It's easy for me to come out here and hoo-rah and say this or say that how this guy's doing good or how this guy's doing good. But it's all going to come down to how we perform on Sunday."

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on September 5, 2012 at 05:06 PM | Permalink

Comments

Go Panthers!!! As fans, we need to show more support and faith at games. That means buy tickets, and don't allow opposing fans to dominate our stadium. When our defense is on the field be LOUD, not just on third downs (be loud every damn down), and for the love of god shut up when our offense is on the field. Don't leave the game early if our team is down, because they might make a comeback and could use our help by making noise. You paid for the ticket, might as well enjoy the entire game. As fans, lets do our part to support the team 100%. GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Posted by: PanthersFan | Sep 5, 2012 7:26:32 PM

You said one thing right in your comment, "I paid for the ticket". So I can show up when I want, cheer when I want and LEAVE when I want! Maybe you need to be the one to stay at home if you are going to act this way.

Posted by: Allen | Sep 6, 2012 4:35:54 AM

And you, Allen, are why we don't have a loyal fan base.....Fairweather fan.....smh

Posted by: NCPanther | Sep 6, 2012 7:12:32 AM

I am far from the cause of a non-loyal fan base and merely a symptom of poor management. A loyal fan base could be generated by having consecutive winning seasons and having a draft pick other than a 1st round actually stick around for a couple of seasons and be productive. 2009 Draft, for example, includes Brown, Martin, Irvin, Goodson and Fiametta. You will find that teams with loyal fan bases produce on those factors.

Posted by: Allen | Sep 6, 2012 8:02:44 AM

Allen, you are the epitome of a fair weather fan. You are that guy that sits behind me and complains when I stand up to cheer.

You'll find that teams with loyal fan bases follow and enjoy the team to support their city and for the love of the game. Ask a Cubs fan.

Posted by: Sambo | Sep 6, 2012 8:34:32 AM

Oh, I follow the team and enjoy a good product on the field. On your Cubs, sure there are plenty in numbers, but I'm not sure they support losing, do they? Don't they complain about their product as well. Why can't I do that to encourage discussion?

Posted by: Allen | Sep 6, 2012 8:43:30 AM

Hold on a minute...I'm with Allen. When a product is put on the field worth cheering for, I cheer. I bet you guys are the ones telling me to sit down when I'm booing a poor product.

How can you stand behind a team like the '10 squad. Upper management flat out gave up...I understand business moves had to be made...but don't expect me to support a pathetically bad team.

Last year, I fully supported the panthers even through the losing. You know why? It looked as if the team cared. It's easy to support a team that plays hard and tries to win.

But when they don't...and they are just marking time with a bunch of guys that should be in d-league...don't ask me to support that b/c I will be at home watching the game on the other channel.

Peace

Posted by: Walter | Sep 6, 2012 8:48:12 AM

Sambo and NCPanther attack the symptom (my loyalty) and not the cause. Do you think if I were more loyal, the team would perform better? Hurney would draft better? The team would be wise with contracts? Or would it work better if management did there job better and I would become a "loyal" fan.

Posted by: Allen | Sep 6, 2012 9:31:07 AM

To: Allen and Walter

The Panthers have a large fan base. However, the diehard fans are not the ticket holders. I was talking to a friend who has been gone from Charlotte for six (6) years. His sons, who are teenagers in college, are diehard Panther fans although they live in the Atlanta area now. This is the 17th year the Panthers will have operated in Bank of America Stadium. Most of the kids I know who are 10 years old or older are true Panther fans. Once tickets transition to the children and grandchildren of the original PSL owners, I believe the atmosphere at Panther games will change win or lose. The original PSL owners were supporters but not diehard Panther fans.

Posted by: Baby Huey | Sep 7, 2012 12:28:06 PM