« Source: Trade talk involving Smith was preliminary | Main | Panthers make no moves as trade deadline passes »

October 31, 2012

DeAngelo: I've never thought of leaving the Panthers

DeAngelo Williams addressed the media for the first time since he became the subject of trade talk last week.

Williams, the Panthers former starting running back now relegated to backup duty, said he doesn't pay attention to trade talk because it's out of his control. A team source has indicated to the Observer that at least one playoff-contending team has reached out to the Panthers about a possible trade for Williams.

"I’ve never really thought about leaving, so the thought of staying a Panther never really crossed my mind because the thought of leaving never crossed my mind," Williams said. "In my mind, I’m going to continue being a Panther until told otherwise. So those thoughts aren’t there."

When asked if he wants to stay with the Panthers, Williams returned with a question of his own.

"Do I want to stay here? What kind of question is that? They gave me my opportunity," he said

"Does it look like I want to be somewhere else? I’ll let you guys (the media) answer that."

Also a subject of trade talk has been veteran wide receiver Steve Smith. Head coach Ron Rivera said the Panthers had not fielded calls for Smith, and Smith said that he will be in a Panthers uniform until he is cut or retires from the game.

Rivera, however, did not rule out the possibility of trading any players--Williams, Smith or anyone--by the Thursday trade deadline.

"Well you never know what’s going on but we’re not looking to trade anybody," Rivera said. "You’re really not. We need everybody we’ve got and we’ll see what happens when we get to Thursday."

--Jonathan Jones

Posted by Observer Sports on October 31, 2012 at 03:44 PM | Permalink

Comments

Shit I wouldnt leave the Panthers either if they pay me as much as they pay you Deangelo

Posted by: primetime31 | Oct 31, 2012 4:03:01 PM

I honestly don't think that Rivera is dumb enough to trade 89 but the fact that he didn't just come right out and say "we're not trading our best player" tells me that maybe the "haters" are right about him, maybe he really is that clueless. Have you not met Steve, Ron? Why wouldn't you just kill this story now, you won't get nearly enough in return and like it not, this guy means something to TRUE Panther fans, running him out of town while he's still got plenty in the tank, in your last year as HC would be a bad, bad move for your career going forward.

Posted by: Shane P | Oct 31, 2012 4:13:45 PM

"Well I guess I get to see if all the trade rumors are true or false this Tuesday!" -D. Williams @ Twitter

So you had no thought at all? Whatever. Go away. Take that bum Cam with you. Neither of you brings anything positive to this team.

Posted by: Crazy??YUP! | Oct 31, 2012 4:30:42 PM

D Will is probably fine sitting on the sidelines, not hurting his body, and getting the star pay. I'd be ok with it, I don't blame him. I blame the mgt and coaches for not being aligned on what they are paying for and what they are using.

Posted by: big gulps | Oct 31, 2012 4:34:32 PM

1-7 we need to do SOMETHING, ANYTHING to show us bill payers that this owner cares.

Then again, we are on year 17 of the 10 year plan...

Posted by: PSL Owner Sec106 | Oct 31, 2012 4:35:28 PM

It's sad when a great guy, a role model, a top-notch athlete gets dumped from a team he is committing his playing career to, simply because the "Coaching" has no idea how to use him correctly.

If today is your last day as a Panther DeAngelo, I just want to say thanks for always conducting yourself with class and dignity. Hopefully the next team you wind up with has a clue how to use you properly and you get a Super Bowl ring.

Posted by: Man Up | Oct 31, 2012 4:46:46 PM

Who the hell thought it was better to fire John Fox and hire this clown Rivera? Rivera doesn't belong as a D-line coach in the NFL, let alone a head coach.

Germy Richardson's heart issues have clearly hurt his ability to think clearly.

Posted by: Fox Was Better | Oct 31, 2012 4:53:25 PM

Can you see Riviera getting fired before the season is over if Smith is traded?

Posted by: joe cool | Oct 31, 2012 5:18:09 PM

Why did it take rivera 7 weeks to realize the zone read doesnt work? With the right play calling, none of this would have happened. It's painful to watch the coaching staff not make adjustments every week. Panthers have the talent, and the D isn't as bad as people make them out to be. It's coaching and leadership from the top. We're dying out here Richardson, just fire him now and let an assistant lead.

Posted by: killin'me | Oct 31, 2012 5:19:16 PM

Thanks Man Up! I agree with you. D-Will is a class act! I too hope that if we lose him, he will go to a winning team!

Glad to hear Smitty does not want out! We need him now more than ever.

Personally, I would have preferred to see the coaches broke up before Double Trouble!

Posted by: IrishPantherfan | Oct 31, 2012 5:20:51 PM

Nobody is going anywhere. It would make absolutely no sense to do it before we have the new GM. We don't even know at this point if Rivera himself will be back next year with a new GM. It's amazing he thinks using one RB will help them get into a rythm. Does he realize that they each ran for 1000 yards splitting the carries?

Posted by: Mike P | Oct 31, 2012 5:29:17 PM

I grew up with the 49r's. When the Morabito brothers owned the team, the team was always okay. After they all died and the wives owned the team, the 49r's sucked. When Eddie "D" took over, they were a dynasty. When the son in law took over, they sucked. Somehow, He has turned them around. No telling who and what will turn the pussy cats around??

Posted by: Mitch | Oct 31, 2012 5:45:59 PM

I agree with the comments that it's sad to have a coaching staff that don't know how to utililize the talents of the players they have. Williams did not go from being one of the top backs in the league to a bench-warmer in a half season. He's just being wasted. I'm not a Rivera hater, but I'm certainly becoming a believer that he's in over his head, and not doing a good job at all. I hope they don't get rid of Williams because the coach that replaces Rivera after this season will have that much less quality to work with.

Posted by: WayneD | Oct 31, 2012 6:23:27 PM

trade williams to the packers

Posted by: Scott | Nov 1, 2012 12:55:22 AM

Rivera just doesn't know how to use DWill. He is not an up the middle runner, Fox even knew that. They both got over 1000 with Stew running up the middle and DWill going outside for the most part.

Posted by: TJ | Nov 1, 2012 6:31:32 AM

Indecision, combined with losing is a tough place to be, especially when it's self-inflicted.
Let the search begin.

Posted by: Hap DB | Nov 1, 2012 9:58:47 AM

Yes, it's time for someone to go. I would be really disappointed if Steve Smith desert us now. IT IS time to get rid of these losing Coaches/QB Coach/Defense Coach and it is time to get rid of DWill. The Panthers are a much better team than others see us. We should be at least 4-3, this is not a slump. it's a CURSE. Where is the protection for Cam? Where is the DEFENSE? It is senseless how we have been losing these games by less than 10 points. I hope a change will come soon.

Posted by: Brenda Leigh | Nov 1, 2012 11:34:22 AM