« Panthers sticking with Nakamura | Main | Panthers preparing to play Sunday without three starters »

October 03, 2012

Newton reacts to criticism of how he deals with losing

Cam Newton has heard the jeers about his reaction to losses.

He's heard people complain about the towel over his head, about the late-game sulking, about how hard he takes losses.

At his Wednesday press conference, Newton reinforced what we already know: He doesn't like losing.

"A lot of people deal with things differently. Losing is difficult. Period," Newton said. "A person that says losing is not difficult, I don’t even want to be around that person. And obviously that person has never won anything relevant in their life. So for a person to say, 'Yeah we lost and we have to keep going.' Yeah you keep saying that and sooner or later you’re going to look up and be 0-16.

"So you have to take advantage of every opportunity you have in this league and you have to take it personal. Do I take it personal? Absolutely right. Do I take it too personal? Who knows? But I’d rather take it too personal than lackadaisical."

Newton referred to his public displays of emotions as a lose-lose.

"I’ve been hearing a lot about ‘takes it hard on himself.’ Absolutely right. And I feel as if I was laughing after games, if I was making things a joke, I think people would take offense to that."

(His backup, Derek Anderson, was once spotted on the sideline laughing during a big Monday night loss. He had a memorable reaction to being asked about it later.)

"I’ve been hearing so much about my reaction after the game, having a “psych coach.” It baffles me the things that I hear. But at the end of the day I’m still going to be Cameron Newton and the goals that I have set for myself personally from the start has to be met by myself first and this team second."

--Jonathan Jones

Posted by Observer Sports on October 3, 2012 at 04:30 PM | Permalink

Comments

On to Seattle. Their D is tough. Hopefully our O will be too.

Posted by: Fan | Oct 3, 2012 4:38:11 PM

your first goal should be not to fumble the ball when you need one yard and lose the game because of it.

Posted by: jason | Oct 3, 2012 4:38:28 PM

Do I take the panthers losses personal? no

Posted by: big gulps | Oct 3, 2012 4:39:08 PM

That's your problem Newt you're worried about yourself first and the team second

Posted by: Al Pope | Oct 3, 2012 4:43:33 PM

Hey man, look at my smile!! I can dance!! I am a star!! Football? Yea, I do that as well.

Posted by: Ted Demasi | Oct 3, 2012 4:45:56 PM

Im behind you and the panthers.... I agree with how you take losing who likes that????

Posted by: Scout | Oct 3, 2012 4:46:12 PM

"...has to be met by myself first and this team second."

As if there was any doubt. As Jimmy Jones said on national TV, Cam seems to care a whole lot more about Cam than he does the Carolina Panthers.

Posted by: Ted Demasi | Oct 3, 2012 4:47:57 PM

Cam you are still the Panthers only HOPE at consistant winning seasons. You have done good son, keep doing things your way. As long as you can feel good about your decisions. That's all that matters. TEAM is good only if ALL individuals do their part!

Posted by: Southernboy JJ | Oct 3, 2012 4:50:11 PM

in his defense, if i had those weird-A ears, i'd put a gator juice towel over my onyx cranium as well.

Posted by: big gulps | Oct 3, 2012 4:50:12 PM

Just win baby. Winners don't need no stinking pose.

Posted by: RonJeremyTheHedgeHog | Oct 3, 2012 4:50:19 PM

give the young man a chance. the media isn't looking at the decisions being mad by the coaching staff. why not take a chance and go for the fourth and inches? how does a receiver get behind a prevent defense? come on guys is this reaaly about a young mans response to a loss, or is this a way of trying to make him the scape on tough losses. i've never known a player to take a whipping or atough loss well. what should he do put on a happy face or cry. allow him to grow through this before you make matters worse. you have a good thing going in NC don't blow it! he's a great young man and i believe a champion.

Posted by: JB | Oct 3, 2012 4:50:29 PM

if gatorade paid you to put that towel on your head you would do it in a second!

Posted by: joe cool | Oct 3, 2012 4:53:38 PM

It appears to be a maturity issue-- good luck with that one-

Posted by: netranger | Oct 3, 2012 4:54:38 PM

It is "too personally" not "to personally." Where is an editor when you need one?

Posted by: Mr Grammar | Oct 3, 2012 4:59:57 PM

I don't think it's a question of do you as a player take the loss personally, it's more of you don't appear to be trying to rectify the losing situation on the sidelines with your coaches and teammates. Every NFL QB sits with the coach, goes over still photos of their D as well as talks to his teammates to try and find a solution to the problem while sitting.

Posted by: Jellybean | Oct 3, 2012 5:07:55 PM

I'd take a sulking Newton over a happy Jake Delhomme every day of the week and every week of the year.

Posted by: Smitty | Oct 3, 2012 5:13:12 PM

Boy I love how you idiots take everything he says and twist it around. He said NOTHING that translates to "me first, team second" except in your hate-filled minds.

The quote was: "the goals that I have set for myself personally from the start has to be met by myself first and this team second."

In plain and simple English, that means that he holds HIMSELF accountable first for reaching the goal (i.e. winning) and then the team has to do it's part.

He's right, any time he opens his mouth on anything, it's a lose-lose with many of you. Simply pathetic!

Posted by: John | Oct 3, 2012 5:17:26 PM

Cam needs to turn into a yes/no man during these interviews cause all these redneck hillbillies down here can't stand the fact he's the face. Don't worry hillbillies, only 2 more years then he'll run off to another team. I'm hoping Tampa so he can come back and stomp you twice a year! No wonder JP wanted out so bad!

Posted by: Shwizzle | Oct 3, 2012 5:21:13 PM

More like Jimmy Olsen than Superman

Posted by: Todd | Oct 3, 2012 5:26:37 PM

"But at the end of the day I’m still going to be Cameron Newton and the goals that I have set for myself personally from the start has to be met by myself first and this team second."

Cam #1
Team #2

Same as always.

Posted by: AppGrad04 | Oct 3, 2012 5:33:22 PM

Are we still talking about this? The man hates losing. Good. When this team finally starts rolling we'll wonder why this was even an issue.

Posted by: Edward | Oct 3, 2012 5:34:16 PM

Cam - here is what you need to know.

1) writers have to write - that is their job and sometimes they make a big deal out of nothing. So learn to ignore most of the noise...

2) you are a sharpe young man who has the world in the palm of his hand - enjoy it but don't be content, always strive to improve. Always try to pick your teammates up when the team is down. You are the leader of the team and part of your job is to encourgage your teammates even when the team is getting pounded. I think that was Steve Smith's message and i know it is hard sometimes since you have never lost much in your life but losing leads to more losing if teammates are not pushing each other to improve. In the NFL there isn't much difference between players when it comes to talent - the biggest difference is attitude and having that "it" factor that makes people follow and believe. If you believe you are going to lose you are going to lose - and it is part of your job to make the team believe they are going to win. Sometimes the "drive" that makes a team believe occurs when you least expect it. Sometimes it even happens in a loss - so even when the team is getting pounded don't lose the chance to have that special event that makes a team believe.

Posted by: Dom | Oct 3, 2012 5:34:21 PM

I don't like to lose either Cam.

I wish Hurney and Big Papa Cat shared our feelings on that as well.

Posted by: big gulps | Oct 3, 2012 5:37:09 PM

Just grow up Cam and stop all of the sulking and baby acts. You're not in high school or college anymore.

Posted by: James | Oct 3, 2012 5:37:38 PM

I see some folks are having trouble comprehending what Cam said. He said the goals have to be MET by himself first, then the team.

He did NOT say ANYTHING about putting himself before the team. Some people are going to take what they want out of his quotes rather than reading about it and thinking objectively.

Posted by: Wesley | Oct 3, 2012 5:39:00 PM