« Roddy White describes Atlanta's big play | Main | Panthers sticking with Nakamura »

October 02, 2012

Panthers react on Twitter to ESPN's 'Broke' documentary

We Storified tweets from several players on the Carolina Panthers who were watching ESPN's 30 for 30 documentary "Broke" on Tuesday night.

--Jonathan Jones

Posted by Observer Sports on October 2, 2012 at 09:38 PM | Permalink

Comments

Its called a Trust Fund + a modest life style. Look at it this way...if the average joe like me brings in $60k per year over a 40 year worklife...$2.4m pass through my hands! If a NFL player gets a $2.4m contract over say a short 4 yr worklife but lives modestly and pulls out $60k per year from a trust fund said player is set for the next 40yrs!!! Now do the math on a $8-9-10-12m contract and a trust fund withdrawl setup...$100-$120k per yr is being set for a great life!

Posted by: cornhuskercatfan | Oct 2, 2012 11:08:47 PM

can i leave a post today with out it being deleted?

Posted by: PantherPrince | Oct 3, 2012 9:13:46 AM

I never understood people who buy a 15 bedroom house. I don't know 15 people that I want sleeping in my house at the same time, so why have one?

Posted by: arealpanthersfan | Oct 3, 2012 10:21:45 AM

most of mine were deleted yesterday and i have no idea why.

Posted by: big gulps | Oct 3, 2012 11:48:58 AM

Charles Johnson is a bona fide A** hole

Posted by: jason | Oct 3, 2012 12:35:50 PM

I never understood why people throw large amounts of money to under performing workers(athletes) anyway. Oh well, as they say "screw up and move up"

Posted by: Crab Claw | Oct 3, 2012 12:43:17 PM

Expect Broke II to feature Charles Johnson. Eating steak and lobster everyday is not "going back", it's called glutton.

Posted by: chris | Oct 3, 2012 12:47:50 PM

where's the panther comments???? oh let me guess they're still on the field down in the GA Dome....... lol

Posted by: big daddy | Oct 3, 2012 1:17:14 PM

Charles Johnson is an idiot. He will be one of these broke athletes in 20 years.

Posted by: sticky | Oct 3, 2012 1:17:31 PM

I am a little confused here... What comments? As far as Charles Johnson spending money - let the man do what he wants to. It is his money - and all he is doing is putting the money he makes back into the economy. That is what rich people are supposed to do! Ok - no doubt he should "stash" away a few million for retirement after football but do you really think he can't find something to do after football? So what if he goes bankrupt one day and has to work a real job and live in a small home. I am sure he can handle it...

Posted by: Dom | Oct 3, 2012 1:39:16 PM

I am tired of hearing about broke athletes... Who cares! Most of these guys have a least a couple years of college so they can get a job and makes ends meet like the rest of us. Sure - they blew a lot of cash but so what - they had fun doing it and lived larger than most of us ever will! I would rather be rich for ten years than none! I would also rather be rich between 23 and 33 then save for 40 years and be rich between 73 and 83 when i can't enjoy it... What really is the difference in the big picture?

Posted by: Dom | Oct 3, 2012 1:42:22 PM

what article????????????????

Posted by: zac | Oct 3, 2012 1:59:04 PM

this is a dumb topic.

instead can we talk about how Marty Hurney almost cried on the radio this morning when he started getting hit with some tough questions? that guy needs to go, one way ticket to retirement b/c he wouldn't even be a janitor for any other NFL team.

also much credit to Chris McClain and Jim Celania for confronting Hurney with real questions that the fans care about. unlike this newspaper/website that cater to Hurney and would never question anything he does.

Posted by: Fast Freddie | Oct 3, 2012 2:04:04 PM

re: the people who had their comments deleted and wonder why.

basically if the writers and/or editor and this newspaper don't agree with your view, even if it doesn't include vulgarity, they will delete. it's Censorship at it's finest. wouldn't think anyone in this industry would support that but they do.

Posted by: Fast Freddie | Oct 3, 2012 2:10:22 PM

Most people who are "given" money or inherit it usually lose it over a stretch of time. Self made millionaires are the ones who stay wealthy, due to not blowing it on high living. It takes brains and self discipline to do it this way.

Posted by: BB | Oct 3, 2012 2:28:29 PM

@Dom Rich from 23 to 33 than save for 40 years...and have money that I'm too old to enjoy..lol sooooo true...although I known I wouldn't have went broke I am sure I would have blew my fair share early in my career like most will. I have no watched it yet but have it DVR'd but I do get upset with how media acts as if Black players are the only one's stupid with their money..Mark Brunnel blew 50! Mill! and you hear nothing about it....but a blk player blows through 15 and the media can't stop talking about it...anyway I have not watched it yet but will check it out later.....it sounds like a really good one though....

Posted by: Cheven | Oct 3, 2012 2:28:48 PM

there is an expression for how these guys live and spend their money, but i can't type it out. you follow.

Posted by: big gulps | Oct 3, 2012 2:31:09 PM

I don't understand people whom earn more $ than 95% of the workers in this country being huge fin. Risk takers? It makes no sense....
I understand a poor man (while one can see this as stupid too) but I get a poor man taking a risk as he/she is right below the living wage, or right above it..if that person saves every red cent they can through the course of their life time they still won't have a pot to piss in...as the amount they are saving (even with interest) won't be enough to get their kid through sophomore year of college, hell probably not enough to buy a dependable car, Where as the pro's making millions....I can't imagine some hedge fund guy coming up to me like hey chev I know you make 3 to 4 mill a year..and you're worth 15 to 20 mill etc. I can turn that into 50 or 100, with the risk of losing it all...ummmm nah I'll pass I mean sure it would be nice to be super rich, but Rich is good enough for me....like If you make 3 to 5 mill a year...there are few things in life that you can't afford to do that your teammate who makes 15 mill a year can afford to do..as long as you do things in moderation..Like shannon brown..at 3 mill a year..isn't kobe at 23mill a year but 99% of the places kobe would like to take his fam. on vaca in this world you can afford to take them if you make shannon browns money...like "life" (even a very nice one) isn't "that" expensive....flights to Australia are only running 2 grand or so....these guys just never had $ and by the time they realize how to use it..or not spend it....they have spent most of it...I guess....I don't know...

Posted by: Cheven | Oct 3, 2012 2:39:06 PM

re Dom:
When you're over 50 and are broke, you will regret having not been more wise in investing. Looking back, all the high living will seem like a vague dream you'll never revisit. If you're happy from within however, that won't be a problem. Some people don't need money to be happy... and some people with lots of money aren't happy.

Posted by: BB | Oct 3, 2012 2:39:28 PM

i think people miss the point of what charles johnson said. but then again, i don't understand the language of people with short money┬ęsenor bethea.

Posted by: charlottean | Oct 3, 2012 9:03:15 PM