« Video: New PLAY 60 commercial featuring Cam Newton | Main | Garry Williams to get the start at right guard vs. Eagles »

November 23, 2012

Gano switches out of Kasay's old jersey number

New Panthers kicker Graham Gano said his decision to switch jersey numbers was unrelated to the kicker who used to wear No. 4 – original Panther and franchise scoring leader John Kasay.

Gano, who signed with the Panthers on Tuesday after Justin Medlock was waived, said he was unaware of the controversy he created by asking Kasay for permission to wear No. 4.

“I just slept on it. I did want 9 in the first place. I had No. 9 in the UFL,” Gano said Friday. “I just wanted 9. It ended up working out well after I slept on it.”

Whatever Gano's rationale, Panthers coach Ron Rivera said returning No. 4 back to the equipment room was a good decision.

“After I heard he was going to take it, I thought, 'Whoa.' I really did,” Rivera said. “If you think about it, it would have been like when I played for the Bears, wanting to wear Dick Butkus' number. So I'm glad he made the decision.”

“I think it was smart,” Rivera added. “John was a terrific player for this team and this community. You don't want to create conversation and comparison.”

Jared Green, a practice squad receiver and son of former Redskins great Darrell Green, switched to No. 10 so Gano could wear 9.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on November 23, 2012 at 03:50 PM | Permalink

Comments

Smart move by Gano. Wearing #4 would have put a huge target on his back with the fans, many of whom (myself included) think we'd be better off if Kasay was still here.

Posted by: OurKickersSuck | Nov 23, 2012 4:16:24 PM

In other breaking news: All Post offices will be closed on Sundays.

Posted by: KENJ | Nov 23, 2012 4:28:27 PM

I am looking forward to teh day someone else wears 89 !!!

Posted by: Kerry | Nov 23, 2012 4:31:05 PM

In other breaking news, Kenj's comment was irrelevent and Kerry's just plain dumb.

Posted by: John | Nov 23, 2012 5:47:11 PM

why not just sign Kasay for the rest of the season!

Posted by: joe cool | Nov 23, 2012 5:49:47 PM

All this damn controversy over a number that a kicker wore! Who cares? Let him wear whatever number he wants. He's just a stupid kicker just like John Kasay was. People around here act like John Kasay is Brett Favre or something. Again, he's just a stupid kicker!

Posted by: stupidkickers | Nov 23, 2012 7:54:29 PM

Hey "stupidkickers", if you were from the Carolinas and/or a Panthers fan from the beginning, you would know why Kasay is held in such high esteem here. He was an outstanding kicker and an even better man off the field in the community, not at all "just a stupid kicker".

BTW, if Rivera thought Kasay was such a terrific player, then why did he cut him for a guy who was only 3 years younger and blew at least 2 games last year by missing 30-yard kicks? Kasay was automatic inside 50 yards (and probably still is today).

Posted by: OurKickersStillSuck | Nov 23, 2012 8:09:24 PM

Who is Kasey?

Posted by: Cam | Nov 23, 2012 8:54:40 PM

Who is Kasey?

Posted by: Cam | Nov 23, 2012 8:54:43 PM

#4 should be retired. He deserves a statue next to Sam Mills

Posted by: Bluto | Nov 23, 2012 10:05:45 PM

Talk about having incredibly low standards. Only here in little ol Charlotte we have fans that want to put up a statue up of a stupid kicker outside the stadium. Meanwhile in cities like Chicago and Edmonton they have statues of actual great players like Michael Jordan and Wayne gretsky. pathetic!

And yes "ourkickerstillsuck", John Kasay is a good guy. But in the end he is only a stupid kicker. Not even that good of one at that. He couldnt even do kickoffs correctly. Remember the super bowl? He went to what, 1 probowl in his entire 20 year career? He was a solid kicker. No where close to being great though. You dont give out statues to guys just for being nice. Adam Vineteri on the other hand is a great kicker. I doubt that Colt or patriots fans will ever care if another kicker wears his number after he retires though. Want to know why? Because he's just a stupid kicker!

Posted by: stupidkickers | Nov 23, 2012 10:38:51 PM

every night when I close my eyes I still see the super bowl kick off going out of bounds!

Posted by: joe cool | Nov 23, 2012 11:09:39 PM

man its said that our hero for the panthers is a kicker. kasay cost us the superbowl that is one image i cant get out of my head..

Posted by: pantherworld | Nov 24, 2012 11:00:42 AM

Kerry nailed it! Can't wait to see someone else wearing the 89.

Posted by: John Blutarski | Nov 24, 2012 11:30:19 AM

I agree....a statue of Kasey should be placed outside the stadium.

Posted by: wolfpackpanther | Nov 24, 2012 11:22:23 PM