« Video: Cam Newton discusses Panthers' tough 27-21 OT loss to Bucs | Main | Panthers waive K Justin Medlock, sign Graham Gano »

November 19, 2012

Rivera expects to coach rest of season

Based on his conversations with team owner Jerry Richardson, embattled Panthers coach Ron Rivera believes he will coach through the rest of the season at a minimum.

Rivera, 8-18 as the Panthers' coach, would not offer details about his discussions with Richardson.

I don't know what's going to happen, and I won't know until after the season. I know that much. And I know that nothing's going to happen until after the season,” Rivera said. “So what our guys have to understand is that they're playing for now. They're playing for each other.”

When pressed, Rivera was noncommittal when asked if he'd been assured he would remain head coach. A team source told the Observer that Rivera is expected to coach the final six games.

The Panthers (2-8) surrendered an 11-point, fourth-quarter lead Sunday in a heartbreaking 27-21 overtime loss to Tampa Bay. The loss dropped the Panthers to 1-11 in games decided by a touchdown or less under Rivera.

Rivera was a longtime assistant coach before getting his shot with the Panthers after John Fox departed. He interviewed for eight other head-coaching positions before the Panthers hired him.

Richardson fired longtime general manager Marty Hurney in October, and has hired former Giants GM Ernie Accorsi to consult on the GM search.

Rivera said he still believes in himself, adding he is more concerned with the future of his players and coaching staff.

I'm not concerned about me, I'm really not. I'm concerned about them,” Rivera said. “We have a group of coaches that I believe in 100 percent. I'll be all right. No matter what happens I'll be okay. Whether I'm here next year or not, I will be A-OK.

I will go forward, I will make things happen whether it's here or somewhere else. I will. I believe in who I am and I firmly do believe in my abilities as a coach. Do I have a lot to learn? Most certainly. And I have learned an awful lot, and I've got the gray hairs to prove it.”

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on November 19, 2012 at 12:40 PM | Permalink

Comments

He sounds like the President on that last comment!! But I have to agree, regardless here or somewhere else, he'll be fine! But fans care about wins and this team! And we need a winning formula produced by somebody, if not Rivera somebody!!!!! Yesterday's lost was pathetic!!!! All of the NFL is laughing right now!!

Posted by: Big Daddy | Nov 19, 2012 1:01:04 PM

I just jumped out the window....

Posted by: Jon | Nov 19, 2012 1:03:52 PM

Give McDermmott a shot

Posted by: JJ | Nov 19, 2012 1:08:08 PM

I fell asleep before I could finish reading what he said!

Posted by: joe cool | Nov 19, 2012 1:17:47 PM

If Jerry refuses to make changes, then I will. I'm selling my remaining season tix and putting my PSL's up for sale. I can longer sit by and wait for something to happen...that's the definition of insanity. So I'll be the one to initiate change. Jerry, keep your $7.50 beers and $4.50 hot dogs.

Posted by: dangburnit | Nov 19, 2012 1:27:23 PM

Recommendation to coaching staff: call the game like you have nothing to lose...because you don't. Play calling is so conservative it's like John Fox 2.0

Posted by: Zenmeister | Nov 19, 2012 1:28:06 PM

What happened yesterday? I thought we won. I guess I should have taken the towel off my head so I could see the score.

Posted by: Cam | Nov 19, 2012 1:29:15 PM

Absolutely no reason to fire Rivera during the season. As he said, they are playing for each other. Hopefully JR will hire a pitbull of a GM who will rub off on this staff or bring one in with some some fire!!

Posted by: Swizzle52 | Nov 19, 2012 1:32:12 PM

The sad thing is that it doesn't even hurt anymore. I expect to be competitive in most games just to lose. I just wait to see how we lose.

I had an ounce of hope until they scored to get into OT. I immediatly new then that the game was lost before the coin toss.

Posted by: Chuck | Nov 19, 2012 1:37:30 PM

He seems like a very nice guy who sincerely cares about his coaching staff. But what I thought was telling was what he did not say about his concern for his players futures. Maybe he is not invested emotionally in his players as he is his coaches and that is telling during the games(i.e. being aggressive offensively and defensively at the end of games sending a signal that he believes in the players ability to pull out closes games, and getting very angry at the refs when they make bad calls against his players or the other team takes cheap shots at his players that could injure them like what happened to Cam in this game and Rivera didn't seem too upset about it).

Posted by: will | Nov 19, 2012 1:38:15 PM

What was conservative about calling a fake punt on 4th & 5 in your own territory? My problem with their play-calling is that it stinks. It is either too conservative when they need to be aggressive or too aggressive when they should be more conservative. My problem with Rivera is that he isn't getting the Panthers prepared to play during the week. Otherwise they wouldn't spot just about every team they play 10 points in the 1st quarter. He also is horrible at adjusting in game. That is how a team like the Bears can run the same play over and over again until they get into FG range. Rivera is a DC not a Head Coach.

Posted by: MTNH2O | Nov 19, 2012 1:38:24 PM

This season is a wash. I wish Richardson had cleaned house when he fired Hurney, but he didn't. Now I just wish he'd sell the team to an owner that cares.

Posted by: Phantasmagorious | Nov 19, 2012 1:38:42 PM

In 2003 we were behind in almost every game. But somehow we new that the ending score was going to be a victory. Somebody has to remember that.

I waited to see how we were going to win be it a last minute field goal block or what ever. Its the mind set that the players have to change!

Posted by: Chuck | Nov 19, 2012 1:40:42 PM

There is no point in firing Rivera before the end of the season. No HC candidates on our coaching staff, so it might as well be Rivera coaching these next 6 games. The new GM will get the chance to hire his own new HC, or (heaven forbid!) keep Rivera.

Posted by: Breathless | Nov 19, 2012 1:44:01 PM

We should have picked up AJ Green in 2010 instead of Cam, tanked that season and waited on Luck. Imagine AJ Green, Luck at QB and Steve Smith.

Posted by: Chuck | Nov 19, 2012 1:45:16 PM

Rivera staying saves me the trouble of watching any more Panthers games this season. There is absolutely no reason he should finish the year- he can't even finish games.

Posted by: Kenny Faust | Nov 19, 2012 1:46:56 PM

After the Big Rat bad mouthed the NFL and the players he will be very hard pressed to get any GM. He is garbage around the league, and after that nonsense last year he may be black-balled. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Why did refuse to shake your hand Sunday?? I am sick and tired of your cheap ways. I am selling my PSL's to anyone who will pay me the highest price. Trouble is they are almost worthless.

Posted by: Stopplayin | Nov 19, 2012 1:47:55 PM

too embarrased to wear my panther jacket anymore.

Posted by: Grumperson | Nov 19, 2012 1:50:30 PM

I hear you Stopplayin, I stood in front of the stadium yesterday for 30 minutes trying to GIVE AWAY four tickets. I had lots ask me where they are located, and after I told them upper deck, they laughed and said "no thanks". There was literally a pile of unused tickets on the ground next to the gate as I walked in. Good luck on trying to sell your PSL. As it looks, you can get one for about 1/3 the purchase price in the classifieds.

Posted by: Poppin | Nov 19, 2012 1:52:05 PM

Its okay for jerry to surrender, but he is not thinking of what fans he has left. The stands jerry were not full and after this bombshell, I expect to be even less full. I WATCH THE PATRIOTS, there stadium. Was capacity, why, everyday they have a chance to win.

Posted by: jerry anderson | Nov 19, 2012 1:58:45 PM

Panther players should be fired if any celebration happens before they have more wins then losses.

Posted by: jerry anderson | Nov 19, 2012 2:03:21 PM

He's a nice guy and hate to see this happening to him. But unfortunately that's probably his biggest downfall. He's not aggressive enough, not passionate enough, and lays down to get run over way too easily. Those are just not head coaching 'qualities'. He should settle back in as a DC somewhere.

Posted by: WayneD | Nov 19, 2012 2:04:52 PM

McDermmott? His defense can't even hold a lead.....

Posted by: dave | Nov 19, 2012 2:16:01 PM

Great. We get to watch this crap 6 more times.

Posted by: BG | Nov 19, 2012 2:22:12 PM

Hey Panther fans - here's a tip - BUY PSL's now. I remember the day I bought mine - a seller's market right after the 1-15 season of 2001 and I got them DIRT CHEAP. Great seats in a great location and I haven't regretted it a day. Panthers will be good again and those sellers bitching and complaining now will be paying scalpers for playoff tickets in a few years...

Hey - I'm frustrated like the next guy but I'm also old enough and sane enough to know that it's all cyclical. Jerry Richardson wants to win as bad or worse than any of us.

Posted by: Craig | Nov 19, 2012 2:22:17 PM