« Panthers waive K Justin Medlock, sign Graham Gano | Main | Storify: Happy Thanksgiving from Panthers »

November 21, 2012

Steve Smith calls Monday night matchup "battle of the bads"

Whether it was the approaching holiday or the fact he had the day off from practice, Panthers receiver Steve Smith was in a light-hearted, funny mood Wednesday.

Smith, whose mood swings are as much a part of his Panthers' legacy as his catches in traffic, had reporters laughing around his locker with a series of one-liners.

Here's what Smith had to say on:

The Panthers-Eagles matchup on Monday Night Football: “Oh, it's real exciting,” he said, his voice dripping with sarcasm. “You've got the battle of the bads, I guess.

"They've got a lot of things going on, just as we do. But all that goes out of the window. You get to be on center stage in front of friends, families. It's always exciting to be the only show playing.”

The atmosphere at Philadelphia's Lincoln Financial Field on a Monday night: “Obviously, you want to be at home. But a place like that, hopefully we'll get things going pretty good so they'll have that jail filled up in the bottom (of the stadium).”

Whether the 2-8 Panthers were hungry or starving for a win: “How about malnutrition? Well beyond (hunger). Searching through the trash, looking for any scraps. I think we're there.”

--Smith, who is dealing with a finger injury, was one of several players held out of practice Wednesday. Most were veteran players given the day off. Special teams player Colin Jones was sidelined with post-concussion symptoms.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on November 21, 2012 at 03:50 PM | Permalink

Comments

Can I come?

Posted by: J. Medlock | Nov 21, 2012 4:45:57 PM

@J. Medlock: You're the reason we're 2-8 this year! If you weren't on the team we would have went for it at Atlanta instead of punting away victory! We wouldn't be playing not to lose against the Bears and the Bucs and jumping in quicksand at the first sign of trouble. It's all your fault Medlock, so you get to stay home.

Posted by: I'm Right | Nov 21, 2012 4:56:29 PM

Medlock is a good reason, but Rivera is the Main reason of the teams troubles, completely out coached in basically every game.

Posted by: Robert | Nov 21, 2012 5:53:06 PM

I'm glad he finds it so humorous. I guess if I got paid a lot of money to underperform i could find humor in being below average as well. Too bad the rest of us with real jobs live and die by how we perform day in and day out. Medlock found himself with the rest of society, but Smith can feel safe, keep cashing those fat checks and delivering jokes....

Posted by: ziggy | Nov 21, 2012 7:49:18 PM

Here is something I never thought if say in my life. Instead of wasting my time watching a bunch of losers (panthers), I think I'll watch a bunch of winners instead. (Bobcats)

Posted by: Cuckooooo | Nov 21, 2012 8:13:54 PM

Now that's funny and true @ cuckoooo. Go Gamecocks!!

Posted by: chuck | Nov 21, 2012 10:30:03 PM

Let me understand , we are basing the caliber of the team bybthe field goal kicker. Laynoff the guy. He can kick. The issue is and will continue to be j. Richardson. Dummy down America and real bad owner of a team. When are you guys going to realize this. He is taking you tomthe cleaners. It's all about the money. He is a business man!,

Posted by: Chris | Nov 21, 2012 11:09:31 PM

I am shocked Medlock was let go. Rivera is good for one thing or maybe bad--firing the wrong people.

Posted by: Jim1 | Nov 22, 2012 7:36:50 AM

keep coaching staff,just bad luck, Cam not a good qb at this point period. Hopefully he will become a good qb. Def playing good enough, QB is only 23 years old and has his own clothing line. Hopefully he gets back to football as top priority.

Posted by: dac | Nov 22, 2012 7:44:11 AM

Panthers really need a win Monday night. No blaming this or that. Just go out and get the job done.

Posted by: AtlSteve | Nov 22, 2012 7:44:22 AM

Hope we lose out so out new GM and coach get the first pick of the litter!

Posted by: Jim Hushon | Nov 22, 2012 8:49:19 AM

@jim i hate to say it but you are right, this season is a wash, just loose the rest and draft some defense studs and start over next year..look how the colts did it and now they are winners..just sayin

Posted by: pantherworld | Nov 22, 2012 8:51:01 AM

I'm actually embarrassed we are playing on a monday night stage for those who will take the time to watch. Last year of nfl sunday ticket for me watching this pathetic team. I'll see the results and losses on espn like everyone else and watch real games. $300 pay raise heck yeah!

Posted by: really | Nov 22, 2012 9:29:35 AM

Wow...it's embarrassing to read the posts on this blog. Do they have basic education schools in Charlotte? What a bunch of dimwits who can't write a paragraph to save their lives! Learn now to spell and write people! Basics! How do you survive in this world?

Posted by: Truth | Nov 22, 2012 10:02:06 AM

@Truth: You should have had a comma between the words "write" and "people". You were addressing them, right?

Posted by: Porky Pig | Nov 23, 2012 11:57:05 AM

Smith has a great attitude - as long as the Panthers are rding a wn streak. When they aren't - he acts like a little angry toddler and lashes out with these lame comments. Somebody tell this guy to hit the road. He's not all that - anymore.

Posted by: StickMyVickInDaMashedPotatoes | Nov 23, 2012 12:39:35 PM

Tell that fool that there is not a jail in the Linc. The jail was at the Vet. He watches too much ESPN.

Posted by: a | Nov 24, 2012 1:40:56 PM