« Video: Joe Person breaks down Panthers' 30-20 win over the Falcons | Main | Panthers place S Nakamura on IR with groin injury »

December 10, 2012

Falcons K Matt Bryant on his heated post-game exchange with DE Greg Hardy

After the Panthers beat the Falcons 30-20 at Bank of America Stadium on Sunday afternoon, Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy had some choice words for the visitors.

As Hardy bounced off the field, he told nearby Falcons to remove themselves from the Panthers' field, while using some expletives along the way.

One Falcon in particular took exception. Kicker Matt Bryant, who in Week 4 kicked the game-winning field goal against Carolina, told Hardy that he and his teammates could "watch us in January." (Video shot by WSOC-TV camerman Rob Paul.)

I heard Bryant had an exchange with Hardy on the field, but I didn't know the depth of it until after I talked to Bryant at his locker about his thoughts on Hardy's comments. Because of that, the questions were focused more on Hardy's comments earlier in the week about the Panthers being a better team rather than a more specific look at their exchange.

Q: What’d you think of his comments earlier in the week?

A: Let’s see. When guys like that talk, it’s just… He’s just… He’s a certain kind of guy. When people like that talk… I mean, I don’t really know what to tell you. It is what it is.

Q: Did the Panthers winning the game back up his statements at all in your opinion?

A: No. I mean we lost today. That’s all that happened today. We lost.

Q: Do you feel the better team won?

A: The Panthers won. They had 30 points and we had 20 points.

--Jonathan Jones

Posted by Observer Sports on December 10, 2012 at 11:30 AM | Permalink

Comments

hardy should prob keep his yapper shut

Posted by: big gulps | Dec 10, 2012 11:49:55 AM

Yep, we can watch them play in January...once. Then they'll be watching right along with us! This is the Falcons we're talking about...

Posted by: Jones | Dec 10, 2012 11:56:43 AM

We need more players like Greg Hardy! He talked the talk and walked the walk!

Posted by: joe cool | Dec 10, 2012 12:12:50 PM

Panther's suck, Period. Any game against them is meaning less anymore. Not a Falcons Fan but Panthers have nothing to talk about because they sure haven't walked any walk.

Posted by: NFL Fan | Dec 10, 2012 12:20:05 PM

Did nobody else see Matt Ryan yell after the first game, "GET THE F OFF OUR FIELD!!! " #fact look it up

Posted by: Patric | Dec 10, 2012 12:21:22 PM

Wrong Game.

Posted by: NFL Fan | Dec 10, 2012 12:29:58 PM

I've seen the replay of Matt Ryan's comments. I did not see him say it within earshot of any Panthers. They appear to be nothing more than smack talk he was doing with his teammates.
I don't blame Hardy for using it as a tool to fire up the Panthers for the game. Carolina certainly came out ready to play.
I didn't see a reason to go around and say it to the Falcon's players after the game.

Posted by: AtlSteve | Dec 10, 2012 12:33:45 PM

My hat goes off to Greg Hardy, thats what the Panthers need is more players like him and Steve Smith. Players that wont be bullied in being intimadated by teams just because we are 3-9. Yeah our record stinks but it says alot about ATLANTA when a last team beats them. THEY ARE OVERATED.CASE CLOSED.

Posted by: KENNY | Dec 10, 2012 12:37:47 PM

Posted by: KENNY | Dec 10, 2012 12:37:51 PM

Got to agree with Steve. It's one thing to say it to your teammates from your own bench and another to go skipping across the field like a fairy yelling it at the top of your lungs. Kudos to Bryant for reminding him of his own team's current playoff scenarios (come to Atlanta and watch Falcons in person or watch from the comfort of your own home) and for Coach Rivera for shutting him up.

Posted by: doug | Dec 10, 2012 12:40:31 PM

I don't disagree at all that the Falcons may be overrated and should be embarrassed by getting beat by the panthers. BECAUSE THE PANTHERS SUCK!
Ending with all caps for dramatization. LOL

Posted by: NFL Fan | Dec 10, 2012 12:45:40 PM

Matt Bryant apparently watched a lot of John Fox interviews.

Posted by: nosebleed fan | Dec 10, 2012 12:49:47 PM

I think it is great that Hardy has his team and this towns back like that!! Our team needs more players with that drive and fire. Fans too! I know I was shouting that samr thing to all those atl fans who made the drive. I also let them know how to get back to 85 south...

Posted by: E | Dec 10, 2012 12:55:01 PM

Bryant has NO ROOM at all to talk. All Hardy did was repeat exactly what Matty "cold as ice" Ryan said to us. He didn't have a problem with the comments then, he just can't take it when it comes back to bite them. I LOVE that Hardy said it. This is a heated rivalry and thats how it should be. We got no respect from them so I sure as &!#* wouldn't show them any in return.

Posted by: Chris | Dec 10, 2012 1:02:38 PM

Matt Ryan said it from the bench cause he's get his @$$ whooped if he said it to a Panther. Whether or not a Panther was nearby doesn't matter. It was directed at us. I'd love to hear what Hardy said right to his face after he laid him on his back.

Posted by: Chris | Dec 10, 2012 1:08:50 PM

nice to see Hardy get into it with a kicker, haha. rest of the falcons could've cared less. he better hope the long snapper doesn't get involved, or he'll get his undersized frame handed to him.

shut up and play.....

i am glad the team showed this week....where have they been?

Posted by: big gulps | Dec 10, 2012 1:12:54 PM

Newton still sucks. Wish we had Peppers back

Posted by: Michael Procton | Dec 10, 2012 1:23:29 PM

I love chocolate cake, donuts, and burgers

Posted by: Michael Procton | Dec 10, 2012 1:26:46 PM

Three great big cheers for Greg Hardy.The Panthers outstanding DE not only talks the talk but has the skill to walk the walk. We need more players like him and Steve Smith,players that take no crap and aren't afraid to show an aggressive attitude. Salute.

Posted by: Black--Panther | Dec 10, 2012 1:39:16 PM

4-9 < 11-2.

Posted by: Mike | Dec 10, 2012 2:16:27 PM

Also if we didn't have that holding call towards the end when they had 23 it was 4th and 9 and we were about to get a ball back then the flag for holding and then they go first down and 2 drives later touchdown panthers we can't have those penalties

Posted by: Aaron | Dec 10, 2012 2:20:23 PM

30 > 20.

Posted by: banks | Dec 10, 2012 2:22:36 PM

I love the Greg Hardy comments! The dude has played every position on the D-line this year and he has 9 sacks. He should be saying that to every opponent who comes to BofA stadium!

Posted by: themaster | Dec 10, 2012 2:26:16 PM

Gotta love the dbags that come on even though they're supposedly not a fan of either team, but find this tiny little article to comment on. Falcons are overrated and have been all year, just been the luckiest team in the NFL this year. Yeah Bryant, I'm sure all Panther fans will really enjoy watching you have the best record in the REGULAR season only to lose once again in your first playoff game. I love the nickname Matty "Ice" by the way, it really fits once January rolls around.

Posted by: Swizzle52 | Dec 10, 2012 2:36:37 PM

Bryant doesn't realize that kickers need to shut up, always. Seen and meet heard.

Posted by: Ben P | Dec 10, 2012 2:37:00 PM