« Rookie LB Luke Kuechly named NFC Defensive Player of the Week | Main | At least three starters out for Panthers vs. San Diego »

December 12, 2012

Hardy on Matt Bryant: "So small and weird-shaped"

Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy is the gift that keeps giving – at least for reporters running out of storylines during Week 15 of a playoff-less season.

Hardy provided copy and sound bites to media in Charlotte and Atlanta media last week when he suggested the Panthers were better than the Falcons, who had clinched the NFC South with a month remaining in the season.

After the Panthers beat Atlanta 30-20 on Sunday, a Charlotte TV cameraman taped Hardy telling Falcons players to “Get the (expletive) off our field,” – the same comment Atlanta quarterback Matt Ryan made after the Falcons beat Carolina in Week 4.

Hardy was not available for comment in the locker room Sunday after the game.

But he was back to his entertaining ways Wednesday when asked about his post-game exchange with Falcons kicker Matt Bryant, who told Hardy he could watch the Falcons during the postseason.

“I told him politely to remove himself from our facility because it was time to go, and he invited me to come watch him in January,” Hardy said, his voice dripping with sarcasm. “It was a nice conversation.”

Was Hardy surprised to have a kicker engage him in trash-talking?

“I really didn't know who he was. He was so small and weird-shaped, I was trying to figure out what he did,” Hardy said. “I found out when I looked online that he was a kicker. I was a little shocked.”

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on December 12, 2012 at 03:56 PM | Permalink

Comments

Greg Hardy might not have known who Matt Bryant was but i bet Matt Ryan knew who Greg Hardy was,especially after Greg put him on his rear twice in the game.

Posted by: Black--Panther | Dec 12, 2012 4:17:13 PM

I say we put a bounty on Ryan and this weird shaped kicker next season.

and yes, I am still in favor of a bounty.

Posted by: big gulps | Dec 12, 2012 4:21:23 PM

Greg Hardy is gonna be in commercials soon and maybe even on talk shows

Posted by: KENNY | Dec 12, 2012 4:29:44 PM

Greg Hardy is gonna be in commercials soon and maybe even on talk shows

Posted by: KENNY | Dec 12, 2012 4:29:44 PM

lol! that was a pretty entertaining and funny read. The Falcons won't be playing long in January anyway. They are the same one done frauds they have been every single year.

Posted by: Smitty | Dec 12, 2012 5:04:57 PM

We need more players like Hardy! That guy is a beast! Keep him in Carolina!

Posted by: Sam | Dec 12, 2012 5:34:41 PM

I love it! Hardy would eat Bryant as his morning snack! "He was so small and weird-shaped..." Classic and freaking hillarious!!!

Posted by: Swizzle52 | Dec 12, 2012 5:37:23 PM

He is an idiot, that will be with a different team soon.

Posted by: Brent | Dec 12, 2012 6:14:48 PM

Brent,

I think we all know who the "idiot" is in this topic.....

Posted by: Apathetic Ambrose | Dec 12, 2012 7:14:42 PM

I think I will enjoy seeing Atlanta play in January ... and then lose badly. Look how much Atlanta has fallen. Matt Ryan has more interceptions than touchdowns the last four weeks.

I love it, though. That is how rivals form. Rivalry games are more entertaining.

Posted by: Wade | Dec 12, 2012 7:32:00 PM

I'm sure Hardy would love to watch Atlantas one and done.

Posted by: Stating the obvious | Dec 12, 2012 7:40:18 PM

Funny thing that Hardy doesnt remember Matt Bryant when in week 4 hit the 40yrd field goal to win the game. See us in the Playoffs little kittens.

Posted by: Zax | Dec 13, 2012 12:23:35 AM

to Stating the obvious: we'll save you a seat on the couch, so you can see the playoff's second round !!!!

Posted by: Stating the facts | Dec 13, 2012 4:11:57 AM

@Zax .... don't blink once January comes. You won't be there long.

Posted by: Chris | Dec 13, 2012 8:30:59 AM

Are any of you peop;e over 14? I mean these silly, I'm tougher than you comments are just so dumb. Dumb for an adult that is, ok for a teenager.

Posted by: Arn Swenson | Dec 13, 2012 8:36:17 AM

I'm no Falcons fan.....but bottom line: when Bryant says "Hey Hardy....turn on the tv in January and you can watch us play...while you're playing pocket pool." -----that is called "torching" someone.

Posted by: john holmes | Dec 13, 2012 9:25:36 AM

Arn Swenson -- yeah, it's almost like these guys think this is all just a game or something...

Posted by: Bull City Dog | Dec 13, 2012 10:08:39 AM

ha - these guys are just having some fun and creating something for the fans to talk about. No harm in it - plus both the Falcons and the Panthers need this rivary to get more intense. Every team needs a good rival. Don't get me wrong - the Aints and Bucs are good rivals too but Atlanta and Charlotte are close and simular cities.

Posted by: Dom | Dec 13, 2012 10:09:40 AM

PROPS to Greg Hardy- TRUE BLUE
ATL ..can go 2 HELL!!
they won't make it past halftime in their first playoff game.
P A N T H E R N A T I O N ! !

Posted by: PantherPrince | Dec 13, 2012 11:06:19 AM

Yo mama is and will always be the greatest comeback.

Posted by: buckshot jenkins | Dec 13, 2012 11:45:34 AM

Good win! You guys still suck.... See you next year, losers!

Posted by: ATL Falcon | Dec 13, 2012 1:47:11 PM

As an Atlanta fan, I respect the hell out of the Panthers but for them to be talking all that trash with a record that bad is kinda ridiculous. It was a good game, but don't forget 3 of the best players in the NFL were not playing for the falcons. Grimes, Moore, and Samuel would have had an impact in this game. Good luck next year Panthers, we look forward to the rise of the Panthers and Bucs as the Saints regress with their aging QB.

Posted by: Matt | Dec 13, 2012 2:37:27 PM

As opposed to Greg Hardy, who is "normal-shaped."

Posted by: Matt | Dec 13, 2012 3:51:41 PM

Panther fans are classless. Your team sucks ass. Has for most of its existence. Get over it.

Posted by: Falcons Rule | Dec 13, 2012 4:44:27 PM

It's ironic that fans of the team that is last in the division and at the bottom of the league is talking trash . When you get to the big game you will have the right to talk about others not making it !

Posted by: Mr lucky | Dec 13, 2012 4:48:23 PM