« Video: Cam Newton, Carolina Panthers dominate San Diego Chargers | Main | Panthers move Zack Williams to IR, sign G Hayworth Hicks »

December 17, 2012

Rivera: Panthers have to keep going

(Editor's note: Meant to get this blog up sooner. But hey, was on the red-eye back from San Diego last night/this morning and -- like Philip Rivers -- am moving a little slowly today.)

As has become the norm during his weekly day-after press conferences, Ron Rivera's Monday meeting with the media again was dominated by talk of Rivera's future.

Nothing much has changed. Despite two convincing wins against a good Atlanta team and a bad San Diego club, Rivera said he has heard nothing new from owner Jerry Richardson.

In other words, trend upward.

"I think we have to keep going," Rivera said. "This is not about a couple of good, emotional wins. It's really about the whole body of work from a certain point on. And that's what we're looking for."

The Panthers (5-9)  are 4-4 since Richardson fired GM Marty Hurney and issued his "trend upward" edict. They close the season against Oakland (4-10) and New Orleans (6-8).

Players -- including QB Cam Newton -- have talked about trying to finish 7-9, which would be a 1-game improvement from Rivera's first season.

Would it be enough to get Rivera another year?

Only Richardson knows. And he's not talking.

Rivera said he believes it will be Richardson -- and not the next GM -- who decides his fate.

"As I've said before, he's been very open, very up front with me," Rivera said. "We talked about this year. And he said when it's all said and done, he and I will talk about it as we go forward."

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on December 17, 2012 at 04:09 PM | Permalink

Comments

Until Carolina reaches the playoffs every season is just a waste.Winning games when youre out of the playoffs does nothing for the fans. Its like a slap in the face.

Posted by: KENNY | Dec 17, 2012 5:06:09 PM

If the Panthers finsh 7-9, then Rivera should stay. That would mean that the Panthers went 6-4 in the last 10 games, won 5 of the last 6, and won the last 4 in a row. I would think that's trending upward.
But they still have to win the last 2 games to make all that happen, hope they can.

Posted by: Kenny | Dec 17, 2012 6:56:16 PM

Nice win kitties cost yourselves those draft picks. You won your Super Bowl last week agin ATL. Problem. Is? Y'all still suck

Posted by: John | Dec 17, 2012 8:16:27 PM

My issue with Rivera is not when he kicks butt like in Atlanta and San Diego. It is when the pressure is on. He freezes quicker than water in the artic north. For example the 1st Atlanta game, he should have gone for it on 4th and 1. Besides having a 6-5 QB you also have a human bowling ball as a running back. That said, since we punted. The last thing I tell my defense. KEEP EVERYTHING IN FRONT OF YOU. Just two mistakes that probably cost us momentum. Game after game, ball-less calls. OK so, we win out. All teams except Atl. have losing records. Teams we should beat. I jumped off the Rivera bandwagon and am off until the end of the season. I want him gone but, if we retain him I will reluctantly climb back on and HOPE YOU ARE RIGHT!!!!

Posted by: davethepanther | Dec 18, 2012 1:01:49 AM

I am neither on nor off any Rivera bandwagon, but I tend to agree with the 'keep Rivera' piece that Scott Fowler wrote. Remember that this is Rivera's first head coaching stint, and there has to be an expected learning curve for him. Nobody can say that he's an all-out flop - he has shown an ability to produce positive results, and it's possible that the recent surge could be a sign of better things to come. I think the bottom line is that 2 seasons is not enough time for a rookie head coach to take an abysmal team, learn how to be a head coach and all that goes with it, and then produce a winner. I think it's only fair to give him one more season to show what he can do.

Posted by: WayneD | Dec 18, 2012 12:10:38 PM