« Video: Carolina Panthers top New Orleans Saints in season finale | Main | X-rays on Newton's ribs, ankle reveal no fractures »

December 31, 2012

Waiting game continues for Rivera

It appears Ron Rivera is going to survive “Black Monday.”

Beyond that, Rivera's future remains uncertain.

While seven of his coaching peers were fired Monday, the Panthers' second-year said he's waiting to meet with owner Jerry Richardson about his fate.

Rivera said he was not sure when the meeting would take place, and it could be as soon as today. But team sources said Richardson did not want to make a rash decision, adding it might be Wednesday before he visits with Rivera.

“As I've said, I'd like to have the opportunity to have the job. And that's pretty much it,” Rivera said in his usual Monday press conference. “We'll go from there and see.”

The Panthers (7-9) won five of their last six games to finish in second place in the NFC South, a game better than Rivera's first season. But they were 0-7 in games decided by a touchdown or less before Sunday's 44-38 win at New Orleans.

When Richardson fired general manager Marty Hurney in November, he told Rivera he wanted to see the team trend upward over the final 10 weeks of the season. The Panthers were 6-4 after Hurney's firing, although only two of the wins came against teams with winning records.

Rivera highlighted what he called the positives: Quarterback Cam Newton's continued development, rookie linebacker Luke Kuechly's place atop the league's tackles list, Greg Olsen's receiving records among Panthers' tight ends and DeAngelo Williams' club-record 210 rushing yards against the Saints.

“There are so many good things that have come from the development of this team and the direction this team is heading,” Rivera said. “When I look back at this year and reflect on it, I'm most certainly to reflect on how we finished and the things that we've done.”

Rivera, 50, would not say whether Richardson told him if the hiring of a GM would play a role in his future. Rivera said the GM hiring process would begin today.

With former New York Giants GM Ernie Accorsi consulting on the GM search, the Panthers are expected to consider two candidates with the Giants – director of college scouting Marc Ross and senior pro personnel analyst Dave Gettleman.

Interim GM Brandon Beane is expected to get an interview, and could remain with the team in some capacity.

Meanwhile, for Rivera, the waiting game continues.

With a chance to state his case publicly a final time, Rivera said, “I'll just say this, I think we are better today than we were when I first got started.”

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on December 31, 2012 at 12:18 PM | Permalink

Comments

KEEP RON!!!!!!

Posted by: Man Up | Dec 31, 2012 12:38:13 PM

I really don't know why the Panthers are even considering firing Ron Rivera. Unless they are afraid Chud will leave and wants to make him head coach and Rivera D-coordinator. But Ron is to good of a coach. If he is fired he'll be quickly hired elsewhere. Just like Jox Fox was.

Posted by: Jack | Dec 31, 2012 12:45:03 PM

Time for a nice lake side chat.

Posted by: lakejamescat | Dec 31, 2012 12:48:34 PM

We need to begin with a GM with a solid history of player development. Someone from outside the organization.

Posted by: lakejamescat | Dec 31, 2012 12:51:18 PM

Oline help and another strong wide receiver would be my hope.

Posted by: lakejamescat | Dec 31, 2012 12:54:27 PM

Rivera deserves another year. Sure, he made some mistakes, but he and the team made improvements as the season went on.

Plus, firing a coach just to make a move rarely works long-term. The Panthers are better off staying the course & seeing if this late-season momentum can carry over to 2013.

Posted by: GSO Cats Fan | Dec 31, 2012 1:28:26 PM

6-4 after Hurney's firing?

Posted by: Bryan | Dec 31, 2012 2:02:55 PM

Jerry Richardson is such a putz....he should let this guy know,what his future is and he should talk to us Fans as well...come down off your throne JR....

Posted by: Bull123 | Dec 31, 2012 2:36:23 PM

The new GM needs to decide. Once that piece of the puzzle is figured out then riviera's fate will be decided. My only issue is that we struggled against better teams. We beat the falcons and they were flat that day. Besides that who did we beat that was good ? We lost to KC the worst team in the league with a below avg 2nd string Qb. Tampa owned us. It's time for a change in my eyes.

Posted by: Big 23 | Dec 31, 2012 2:52:24 PM

6-4 after being out of the race and beating up on poor teams with the roster that hurney assembled.

This guy can't manage game situations effectively at all. way better options out there. I mean you have an elite back.....i'm sorry TWO ELITE BACKS and one of them missed significant time and the other still didn't sniff 200 carries for the season. even though he had a +4 ypc average and that's including all the options where you set him up to fail statistically by giving cam the option to dump it to him when it doesn't look good.

horrible situational play calling. horrible clock management. horrible subs. horrible game plans. name one good thing rivera does........i'll wait.......

fox would have gone 12-4 with this team at least. this team is STACKED. FS is the only hole. if they made a legit coaching change, they will contend for a title next year. like they should have this year if they didn't blow all of those 4th quarter leads playing prevent D (like they did yesterday too and almost blew it) and not running the ball.

*blanket statement* you are an idiot if you think rivera is a good head coach.

Posted by: charlottean | Dec 31, 2012 2:56:40 PM

Rivera is learning. He admits that. Fox appointed someone to help him with clock management after he blew the Super Bowl by calling an unnecessary time out and left Brady with too much time. After the team played the way it did the last few games, it would send a helluva message to the next coach. While Rivera has two seasons as a coach, he only has one off-season to learn how to get a team to have the right mental approach early.
Now, throw in ending this year with a win, while ending 2011 by getting thrashed, and the team should get off to a better start. Jerry needs to exert a little clout to the schedule makers and get the expected bad teams lined up for early in next season.

Posted by: Ben | Dec 31, 2012 3:12:13 PM

PLEASE HIRE MARC ROSS AS GM!

Bring in someone who knows TALENT instead of a former JOURNALIST (Hurney)!

Brandon Beane will only set us back more - he learned everything from Hurney.

Posted by: manu4t | Dec 31, 2012 3:35:43 PM

Panthers would be dumb to fire Rivera at this point. Point blank stupid if it happens. Rivera is a good coach. But some of you won't know what you've had until it's gone.

Posted by: Bill | Dec 31, 2012 3:59:07 PM

Rivera deserves another year. If we fire him, I fear we'll fall into a Bills/Browns scenario where we keep trying to hire no names, give them two years, and kick em out when we don't have success immediately. A coach deserves 3 years, especially if he took a 2-14 team and has earned 6 and 7 wins in his first two seasons. He has drafted well, bringing in our franchise quarterback his first year and our cornerstone defensive leader his 2nd. He has brought in Greg Olsen and Mike Tolbert, two really key players. He turned this defense into a top 10 defense, with a secondary that has no business being ranked that high. He's only had one legitimate off-season. We are SO CLOSE to being elite. He has rightfully earned another year. If we DO let him go, we better be bringing in a BIG name.

Posted by: Richie | Dec 31, 2012 5:08:24 PM

Rivera should be given more time to turn the team around. 7-9 is not too bad when you consider what a poor O-line and secondary that Rivera had to work with for most of the season. We won't really be able to evaluate Rivera until we see what he can do with the support of a legit GM and scouting department.

Posted by: Jerad | Jan 1, 2013 6:33:24 AM

I have nothing to base this on other than gut but I think that the longer this drags out the more likely it is that Rivera will remain, which I happen to agree with, because all of the top names are starting to interview and I think that if Richardson was going to make a move that he would do it quickly so that the staff can pursue other options. I also agree with the Ross for GM hire if it comes to pass as the Giants always seem to have talent in the wings.
I also believe that from a financial standpoint that Gamble and Beason are gone and from a performance standpoint Martin and Nakumura are also gone. Looking forward to next season.

Posted by: John Ellis | Jan 2, 2013 9:03:23 AM

As a Panthers fan since team inception you would think I would be used to other Panthers fans' tendencies by now. But the majority of you never cease to amaze me.

The people screaming for the Panthers to now keep Rivera are the same ones that wanted him gone earlier this season, and will want him gone again next season after another 1-5 start.

It's truly why we have one of the worst if not THE worst fan base in the league. Most everyone accepts mediocrity. I won't even get into how we can't find you anywhere near the stadium after a few losses, but you'll pile in there following a few wins. Some things never change...

Posted by: Fast Freddie | Jan 2, 2013 9:57:59 AM

I think everybody forgets last year, finished strong winning games and lost very close games...wait that looks like this year all over. I say fire the clown and get a real coach, quit signing scrubbs from San Diego (they suck too. GO PANTHERS!

Posted by: Pat Daddy | Jan 2, 2013 1:13:08 PM

I will have to agree Fast F.. Everyone was "fire him" until after the Skins game and in one win that all changed, so on so forth 2 losses then a win, back and forth. Reason Transplants! Same ones when the bobcats start winning they will come.

Anyway Charlottean, I would have to say there's no doubt Foxie coaching it would not have been like this.. pretty sure!
As much as I am afraid of a new coach coming in handicaping us and would be a throw away year possibly. Maybe! not we got alot of talent. I am also afraid of another year lost with a rerun of the past 2.

Posted by: 10-4!! | Jan 2, 2013 3:16:48 PM

And you know how I feel about Fox so that says alot about Rivera. So I guess I just made my decision. It's tough! we see what happens to young QB's when coaching staffs are changed. Guess U would hope Rivera being young in HC experience, he has learned from these mistakes and got them out of the way now. I don't know it's tough!

Posted by: 10-4!! | Jan 2, 2013 3:24:11 PM