« Panthers under salary cap after releasing Gamble | Main | Panthers release LB James Anderson »

March 11, 2013

Gamble celebrates birthday with early retirement

I'd like to say I'm surprised or not surprised that cornerback Chris Gamble has decided to retire two days after the Panthers cut him, per ESPN's Josina Anderson.

But the truth is I never got to know Gamble during my three seasons on the Panthers' beat. Nobody did.

That was by design.

Gamble was a ghost during the team's open locker room periods. There would be gear and other odds and ends in his locker. But never Gamble.

The few times Gamble would talk to reporters – generally after road games when he couldn't escape the locker room before the media arrived – he was always personable, though never revealing.

Gamble was still the Panthers' best cover corner when they cut him. He was a cap casualty, his release freeing up $7.9 million for a team that was about $4 million above it before Gamble was cut.

Gamble, who turned 30 on Monday, apparently had drawn interest from several teams, his agent Carl Poston told ESPN's Anderson.

Gamble, who missed the final 12 games last season with a torn labrum, is the Panthers' all-time interceptions leader, with 27.

But his tackling numbers fell off significantly his last three seasons and he never went to a Pro Bowl.

Still, he could have played a couple more seasons. I'd be interested to hear why he chose not to, and sent an e-mail to Poston to get in touch with Gamble to find out.

I'm not expecting to hear back.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on March 11, 2013 at 02:06 PM | Permalink

Comments

I thought the ESPN article explained it fairly well. He's invested his money well and doesn't need to play any more and looks forward to life after football (at age 30).

If somebody would similarly overpay me, I'd probably do the same thing.

Posted by: Authority | Mar 11, 2013 2:22:19 PM

Good for him. No need to do anymore damage to his body. He has plenty of money and plenty of time to enjoy the rest of his life with friends and family.

Posted by: Smitty | Mar 11, 2013 2:25:08 PM

Nothing wrong with that. Enjoy retirement CG, you earned it.

Posted by: TP | Mar 11, 2013 2:47:25 PM

A torn labrum.

Same injury Ed Reed played almost the entire season with, and same injury Dwight Howard missed maybe a week's worth of games with this season.

Some people have the desire, heart and ability/skill set to play through anything to help their team win, some don't or won't.

Enough said.

Posted by: Fast Freddie | Mar 11, 2013 2:53:07 PM

Good luck and a good life to you Chris.

Posted by: Big Bad John | Mar 11, 2013 2:56:27 PM

Joe,

Are you not allowed to read a competitor's article? Everything you are seeking to find out is contained in the link you provided above.

Joe: "Hey Carl, why did he retire?"
Carl: "Joe, please read the ESPN article. Thanks."

Posted by: Fast Freddie | Mar 11, 2013 2:56:52 PM

Thanks for the dedication and playing a great career. I wish you the best. You will always be remembered as a Carolina Panther for life !!!

Posted by: Animal187 | Mar 11, 2013 3:35:52 PM

Will be reading an article in a couple of years about him being bankrupt!

Posted by: joe cool | Mar 11, 2013 3:41:46 PM

Chris Gamble sounds like a smart man. I'm glad that he is doing well financially and that he won't have to continue taking the physical beating that comes with playing in the NFL. I wish him the best of luck.

Posted by: William | Mar 11, 2013 3:49:31 PM

if i was over paid, i'd get out before i got too exposed....although I'd argue he got exposed a lot on the field.

shows how bad our cb's were when he was always the tops.

Posted by: big gulps | Mar 11, 2013 4:10:15 PM

Gamble just couldn't play at a high level anymore. His ability was on the decline for the last couple of years now plain and simple. It's time to get some new blood in the secondary. I want straight-up ballhawks. Guys that will go after/disrupt the ball instead of waiting til the receiver catch it then decides and tackle him.

Posted by: steven | Mar 11, 2013 4:18:12 PM

@Fast Freddie,

I get that you have a low opinion of Gamble, but the FACT is, you know nothing of the severity of ANY of the torn labrums that you mention. I'd be willing to guess that Gamble's was quite a bit more severe. If it were me, rather than try to rehab in time for the upcoming season, I'd consider retirement if I'd done as Gamble has...saved and invested my money. No one should be "hated" for looking out for themselves legally.

Posted by: J. Mixon | Mar 11, 2013 4:34:31 PM

Proof that he lost his desire and passion to play football. where are all the people on here from Friday acting like he could walk into any other NFL camp and start?

Posted by: tom | Mar 11, 2013 4:42:30 PM

@big gulp -- Do you watch football at all or just simply spew out INCORRECT things that you hear? ESPN (as much as I hate them) gave a stat that shows the completion % against a CB and Gamble was top 5 LOWEST for the last 3 seasons he played....locking up 1-on-1 with no safety help is tough vs the best athletes in the world. Every CB gets beat..I'm sure glad we have stats to show productivity over your untrained eye...

Congrats to Gamble..thanks for the service!!

Posted by: Bobcat Terry | Mar 11, 2013 4:44:16 PM

bobcat,

you make him sound like a pro bowler....but I don't recall him being one....

he got beat a lot.....

he lacked passion as others have posted....i wanna see some guys out there playing that love the game. I'm loving Kuechly.

Posted by: big gulps | Mar 11, 2013 4:54:44 PM

No, not a pro bowler but wouldnt you say he was still in the top 10 at his position during is best years? Pro Bowlers are mostly self promoters...he wasnt that type. Maybe didnt make the spectacular plays like Deion Sanders but very steady player. I'm just saying that we need to appreciate a hard worker for our organization who never ran his mouth and did whatever he was asked to.

Posted by: Bobcat Terry | Mar 11, 2013 5:04:49 PM

He could have easily banked another half a mi to a million by signing with another team and playing so bad he gets cut in training camp.

#workthesystem?

Posted by: charlottean | Mar 11, 2013 5:06:44 PM

Brilliant move for a smart guy. Great idea to leave with his body and most importantly, his brain. Can't blame the guy in the least.

Posted by: Munson15 | Mar 11, 2013 5:06:52 PM

Somewhat of a surprise. He still has tread left in his wheels.

Posted by: par404 | Mar 11, 2013 5:17:38 PM

I'm not surprised either.

Chris Gamble has been a fraud on the field for years and he knows that he would have been exposed as soon as he joined another team. The best Cornerback? Are you kidding? Cornerbacks are supposed to be play makers, but Gamble wasn't a play maker.

ZERO Forced Fumbles the past 3 years...0
ZERO Recovered Fumbles the past 3 years...0
ONLY 7 Interceptions the past 3 years-TOTAL
2 Tackles per game the past three years.
Did NOT contain the run on the outside.
Could NOT play Bump and Run coverage.
Could NOT take away one side of the field.

Any other team and any other set of fans would have discovered this fraud in a heartbeat...and Chris Gamble knew it.

Enjoy your millions, Chris.

Posted by: Bill James takes it in the fanny | Mar 11, 2013 5:42:12 PM

@joecool you are a moron...you should be embarrased...

Posted by: anon | Mar 11, 2013 6:19:02 PM

@ anon: you are the moron. Chris Gamble went to Ohio State. You'll read about Gamble being in legal trouble and being behind bars. ALL Ohio State players end up in prison, with a record.

Posted by: Bill James takes it in the fanny | Mar 11, 2013 6:37:29 PM

Bull malarky. He will stay retired about as long as it takes ice cream to melt in July. Wait and see.

Posted by: Joseph H. Small | Mar 11, 2013 6:43:08 PM

I speak on behalf of all Carolina Panthers fans when I say - Thank you Chris Gamble for all that you have done for this organization. You are a class act and will be successful in your post-football career because you have always been high character and always put forth your best effort. It doesn't surprise me at all to hear you have spent your money wisely, for this is very difficult for a young man with that type of cash flow. I respect your very smart decision in retiring before the injuries start to pile up - you beat the system, congratulations! Once again, Thank you Chris Gamble - from ALL rational Carolina Panthers fans!!! You will be missed on the field, but we wish the best for you and your family off the field.

Posted by: JamesT | Mar 11, 2013 9:08:25 PM