« Panthers agree to terms with free agent safety | Main | Jordan Gross restructures deal to help Panthers with cap space »

March 25, 2013

TE Kellen Winslow Jr. says Panthers have expressed interest

Eight-year veteran and former Pro Bowl tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. said Monday the Panthers have expressed interest in him.

Winslow was on NFL Network's NFL AM show Monday morning and said a handful of teams have been in touch.

“I’ve heard from the Raiders, the Panthers, the Browns,” Winslow said. “I think I could fit in anywhere though. I’m a mismatch. I’m basically a basketball player playing tight end.”

Winslow played under former Panthers offensive coordinator and current Cleveland coach Rob Chudzinski on two occasions at the University of Miami and with the Browns. But a report in the Cleveland Plain Dealer states the Browns are uninterested in Winslow.

Winslow, drafted No. 6 overall in 2004, played four years in Cleveland and three in Tampa Bay. He had a stop in New England last season where he made just one catch.

Knee problems have slowed Winslow's career, which had a promising future before a motorcycle accident in 2005 set him back.

Greg Olsen enters next year as the Panthers No. 1 tight end after grabbing a career-high 69 catches for 843 yards last season while leading the team in receiving touchdowns with five. Carolina re-signed TE Ben Hartsock to a one-year deal this offseason and allowed Gary Barnidge to walk in free agency. Barnidge signed with Chudzinski in Cleveland earlier this month.

The Panthers, and QB Cam Newton particularly, flourished with two tight end sets in 2011 with Olsen and Jeremy Shockey. Though Olsen enjoyed a career-best year in 2012, the Panthers could be looking to get a pass-catching tight end to play the No. 2 role since Hartsock is more of a blocking tight end.

Panthers general manager Dave Gettleman has said he wants the team to have a more vertical passing game, and Winslow has 438 catches for 4,848 yards and 23 touchdowns in his career.

And Monday afternoon, he tweeted a promise that he will catch 100 passes this season, which would be 11 more than his career-high in one year.

--Jonathan Jones

Posted by Observer Sports on March 25, 2013 at 04:36 PM | Permalink

Comments

I thought he was a warrior?

THUD.

Your 15 minutes are over. Now it's on to selling cars or insurance.

Posted by: NOWAY | Mar 25, 2013 4:53:07 PM

At the right price, he would be a nice addition. We need another pass catching TE and Winslow can fill that role if healthy.

Posted by: Kenny | Mar 25, 2013 5:08:54 PM

He is a Soldier!

Posted by: joe cool | Mar 25, 2013 5:25:00 PM

considering what we got from shockey in a similar position.......hard to be against trying it out for a minimum level deal.

Hard to imagine him not being an asset if he's healthy. That said, he's an absolute head case. like shockey.

looking good with or without him.

Posted by: charlottean | Mar 25, 2013 5:29:59 PM

"It's a war out there! They're out there to kill you, so I'm out there to kill them. We don't care about anybody but this U. They're going after my legs. I'm going to come right back at them. I'm a [expletive] soldier."

=

MORON

Posted by: big gulps | Mar 25, 2013 6:00:47 PM

don't forget, he also had a bad motorcylce wreck in a PARKING LOT !

Posted by: big gulps | Mar 25, 2013 6:01:51 PM

Like others mentioned, good with him or without him. Absolute headcase that thinks he is a soldier!

Posted by: John | Mar 25, 2013 6:02:47 PM

getting him will be a big help

Posted by: rodney fletcher | Mar 25, 2013 6:07:10 PM

same thing i said "headcase".... However maybe not as bas as Shockey. I think Shockey was a little too animated toward Cam in the huddle. Long as Winslow keeps his mouth shut and works hard. Yea

Posted by: 10-4!! | Mar 25, 2013 6:13:01 PM

If can catch the ball and score then bring em on! No whining!

Posted by: CHUCK WAGON | Mar 25, 2013 8:01:07 PM

Headache, attitude, bad knees... Wouldn't waste a roster spot on him.

Posted by: Chris | Mar 25, 2013 9:28:39 PM

Cam likes to hit a tight end...

Posted by: Panthers46 | Mar 26, 2013 12:53:54 AM

Can he beat out Jimmy Claussen for a roster spot?

Posted by: kevin | Mar 26, 2013 8:04:02 AM

If Kellen Winslow wants to play for the Panthers, and is willing to work for the price point set by the team, then just do it. He still has to make the roster, come August and September.
Please, CUT Armanti Edwards!!!! He is the WORST draft pick in the history of this Panthers franchise. Don't ever draft another App State player AGAIN!

Posted by: Jimmy Johnson | Mar 26, 2013 8:10:03 AM

Am I still on the team?

Posted by: Jimmy C | Mar 26, 2013 8:27:37 AM

All I can say is that they better do their homework on him. One torn up knee equals bad wheels, if the Pats couldn't utilize his pass catching abilities, what makes the Panthers think that they can, Plus, Chud's not interested, what does that tell you?

Posted by: vinny_57 | Mar 26, 2013 9:10:44 AM

Vinny, breaking into the Panthers lineup is a WHOLE LOT easier than that Patriots. For that matter, virtually every 2nd stringer on the Patriots would either start or get serious playing time with the Kitty Kats. I kind of doubt Kellen would be interested in playing here given our complete inability to mount any sustained winning effort whatsoever. We stink.

Posted by: NASTAR18 | Mar 26, 2013 9:23:55 AM

I just realized his knees are ripped to shreds....would be the perfect compliment to Davis. Sign him long term, panthers-style!

Posted by: Ron Mexico | Mar 26, 2013 9:55:51 AM

I'm pretty sure Bruce Nelson was the worst pick, aside from Rae Carruth, this origanization has ever made. I do not think Bruce played 1 regular season snap.

Posted by: Fan | Mar 26, 2013 1:56:14 PM

@Fan. Rae Carruth wasn't a bad pick. He was actually a pretty good receiver. He was just a horrible person for having him girlfriend killed.

Posted by: steven | Mar 26, 2013 2:06:57 PM

*his

Posted by: steven | Mar 26, 2013 2:07:30 PM

Nothing ventured...nothing gained here. It is what it is. Why is Clausen still on the Panthers roster? I do not know? Please enlighten.

Posted by: Whitecomet77 | Mar 26, 2013 2:17:48 PM

I'd bring him onboard with a $50MM five year contract, all of it guaranteed. I was a heckuva GM. Y'all miss me.

Posted by: Marty Hurney | Mar 26, 2013 2:41:56 PM

I would love to see an open competition between edwards and clausen for the 3rd string QB slot.

The problem with edwards has been inability to find use for him. It's not like he's been in the game effing up all over the place. He bobbled some punts in preseason his rookie year but that's expected from a guy who never returned punts. We haven't seen that since, and we never saw drops being a problem as a receiver.

Ted Ginn is a PROVEN return guy, but he's far from a proven receiver. and he's older. I would prefer they kept edwards as the ultimate utility guy troy brown style. gadget plays on offense, some slot receiver, return game, emergency QB, defensive back, etc. etc.

let football players be football players. guarantee he could outplay any safety on the roster not named godfrey.

seems like you guys forgot: dwayne jarrett, terrell mcclain, eric shelton, atiyahh ellison, rashard anderson (1st round pick, eeeeeasily the worst pick), leander jordan, etc.

all of whom were 3rd round or better and all worse than edwards. i don't get the hate for edwards. that many people hate App? i always thought app was like an after thought......like indifference being the most common reaction to the name. can't understand the hate at all.

Posted by: charlottean | Mar 26, 2013 2:47:36 PM

It would be nice to have another pass catching tight end but I don't believe he is worth the ego. He should have done well last year when Gronk went down in NE but I guess he is still riding daddy's coat tail

Posted by: Trey | Mar 26, 2013 4:56:47 PM