« Panthers take LB A.J. Klein in fifth round | Main | List of undrafted rookie free agents set to sign with Panthers »

April 27, 2013

Panthers close draft by selecting RB Kenjon Barner in the sixth round

So much for not needing another running back.

With more than $40 million in guaranteed money tied up in running backs Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams, the Panthers decided to take Oregon RB Kenjon Barner with their final pick in the 2013 NFL draft.

Barner rushed for 1,767 yards as a senior for the Ducks, scoring 21 touchdowns on 278 carries.

While he made his name at Oregon as a running back, Barner was a lethal kick and punt returner. He averaged 10.12 yards per punt return and scored a touchdown as a running back, receiver, punt and kick returner.

Who will start for Carolina at punt returner is unclear, and that's where Barner will likely compete for a spot. Last year's fourth-round pick Joe Adams started at punt returner in 2012 before two fumbles in Week 3 cost him his job. Cornerback Captain Munnerlyn saw time at PR along with WR Armanti Edwards.

Barner finished with 3,825 all-purpose yards his senior season, and while Carolina seems set at kick returner with the offseason addition of Ted Ginn Jr., Barner could be his immediate understudy.

With no more selections remaining, the Panthers are done with the 2013 NFL draft. Carolina has six selections next year after trading the rights to the seventh round pick to San Francisco last season.

The Panthers can and likely will sign undrafted free agents at the conclusion of Saturday's proceedings in New York. Those signings would likely stretch into Sunday and beyond.

--Jonathan Jones

Posted by Observer Sports on April 27, 2013 at 04:26 PM | Permalink

Comments

*sigh*

Posted by: Paul | Apr 27, 2013 4:30:53 PM

This doesn't make any sense?

Posted by: Joe | Apr 27, 2013 4:33:52 PM

I like this kid so I cant be too upset with the pick....but the 2nd round selection along with the 4th & 5th confuse the hell outta me. Nobody in our war room thought we need secondary help of any kind?? None of the secondary players available at the time was high on board??

I'll let it play out and see what happens the rest of the off season and during the games before I pass judgment, but right now it looks like we have a glaring weakness and were in a division with some good WRs and QBs

Posted by: T | Apr 27, 2013 4:37:44 PM

best player on the board! Do you really expect a 6th rounder to turn the tide? Please go back to playing Madden!

Posted by: joe cool | Apr 27, 2013 4:38:51 PM

Joe cool....kill yourself, you think your so smart. You go back to making sure my fries are hot when I come thru your drive thru window.

Posted by: T | Apr 27, 2013 4:40:28 PM

For my point of view, this pick only make sense if DG trade one of our RBs (maybe Stewart).

A big surprise is coming!!....I'm so excited.

Posted by: Rockdrigo | Apr 27, 2013 4:44:20 PM

DG has played a big part in building winning
Organizations in denver,Buffalo and the Gmen so
For now he's got the benefit of the doubt with me.

Posted by: Tv Man | Apr 27, 2013 4:44:24 PM

Thank you Panther organization for overpaying two underperforming rbs

Posted by: Tv Man | Apr 27, 2013 4:47:55 PM

Wasnt Alford Morris a 6th round pick he is a game changer.Just saying,maybe one of those over paid backs gets cut

Posted by: Bob Torrence | Apr 27, 2013 4:51:47 PM

This guy was supposed to be a 3rd rounder that slipped to the 6th, so great value and will most likely contribute this year. So I like the pick.

Posted by: Justin | Apr 27, 2013 4:53:05 PM

Last two picks were for special teams. Definitely a need area!!!

Posted by: PantherfanNga | Apr 27, 2013 4:53:49 PM

Come on Panther fans! When Building a team. The draft is only one part of that. Free agencie, the draft, and picking ups during training camp. I think with the limited amout of money Getts has done well so far! He picked up depth in free agencie for special teams and the secondary. Solidified our D line in the draft. Added depth to the LB's and with the addition of the new RB can look to trade one of our over paid RB if a team has a need due to injury during training camp! Look at the whole picture before critizing it!...and if that doesn't get you excited then just keep grinning about picking up STAR !!!

Posted by: Cheshire Cat | Apr 27, 2013 5:04:12 PM

I do not understand DG rationale at all with this pick. It makes no sense unless they are planning to trade Deangelo Williams prior to training camp. Positions of need does not seem to bother the current management and all of these holes will not be patched with free agents. A trade may help but most of this draft will be graded at a later date. We shall see what the final grade will be. I am a skeptic until proven otherwise.

Posted by: Whitecomet77 | Apr 27, 2013 5:16:57 PM

In testing running backs, Barner came out the highest. He is very fast, hard to tackle, strong and a great attitude. He, by himself literally destroyed USC last year. Teaming wth Stewart, another Duck, bodes well for the Panthers.

Posted by: LXG | Apr 27, 2013 5:20:56 PM

The draft was about building a heralded defence with one "speed Killer" on offence just one.

With the most difficult schedule in the NFL CLT will need exactly this as in more wide open football. It's a model in progress and if successful will be emulated quickly.

Posted by: nadeltanz | Apr 27, 2013 5:21:53 PM

Gettleman just got his first GM job when most guys his age are retiring. I think I'm starting to see why he didn't get a big job sooner. He switched on the autodraft button Thursday afternoon and checked out of this draft. Starting to look like just another cheap hire by Papa Jerry.

Posted by: Beau | Apr 27, 2013 5:26:01 PM

This pick just might be good..Barner has soft hands and he might be turned into a slot receiver.and ofcourse special teams..

Posted by: broderick | Apr 27, 2013 5:33:20 PM

Everyone thinks they are a f***ing general manager and know the slightest about running a franchise. Go play Madden.

Posted by: Jerry Richardson | Apr 27, 2013 5:50:58 PM

I told everybody the last GM deserved more time. Why in the world didn't we trade away some picks this year? We could have moved up and picked someone that wouldn't be drafted until three rounds later. See people, that way, you know you'll get the mediocre players your owner covets. Hopefully this year's draftees will get a quick phone call from Jerry telling them to join his church and donate all their money to the church so they can get generous future contracts. Boy oh boy, I miss this team.

Posted by: Marty Hurney | Apr 27, 2013 6:02:19 PM

I'm moving the team after 7 years. What do you all even care about who my team picks?

Posted by: Jerry Richardson | Apr 27, 2013 6:05:04 PM

Great draft bossman! Everything's looking great for an awesome 2013 season. I just wish we had moved to Los Angeles. My agent told me that would've helped my Q score. Oh well...I'll always love you Charlotte...until something better comes around!

Posted by: Cam Newton | Apr 27, 2013 6:10:39 PM

A strong defensive line makes average db's look good. This is the way you improve. good draft!

Posted by: Big Dave | Apr 27, 2013 6:19:39 PM

The d linemen and o lineman were great picks. The running back is a good pick for later on moves. You have to build the d line and the o line to build a good team.

Posted by: S. Buck | Apr 27, 2013 6:25:15 PM

People, open your eyes. Do you really thing DG would draft a RB if he didn't have plans to get rid of one of our current RB's.....my guess is that DWill will be released and this kid will step in making significantly less money and being about 7 yrs younger. Please look no further than how we were dominated on National TV vs a dominant Defensive front 4 of the Giants.....we have to build a foundation right now

Posted by: Peezo | Apr 27, 2013 6:29:05 PM

DW would have brought a 3rd rnd pick instead of released?

Posted by: TWIGGY | Apr 27, 2013 6:39:46 PM