« List of undrafted rookie free agents set to sign with Panthers | Main | Florence wants to help Panthers make playoffs »

April 28, 2013

Panthers' post-draft depth chart

With the draft done, we thought we'd take our first crack at the Panthers' two-deep.

The team won't release its official version until around the start of training camp, and it won't look exactly like this. For instance, second-year cornerback Josh Norman likely will still be behind Josh Thomas, as he was at the end of last season.

But from the way Dave Gettleman talked about Norman, it's pretty clear the Panthers eventually expect Norman to be the guy there.

Also, the Panthers need another pass-catching tight end to complement Greg Olsen. They strongly considered Notre Dame's Tyler Eifert before taking DT Star Lotulelei with the 14th pick Thursday.

Anyway, have at it:

H Brad Nortman

LS J.J. Jansen

KR Ted Ginn/Kenjon Barner

PR Ted Ginn/Joe Adams

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on April 28, 2013 at 05:16 PM | Permalink

Comments

As long as Williams and Campbell are on the roster this team will need to upgrade linemen!

Posted by: joe cool | Apr 28, 2013 5:36:49 PM

because expecting our backups to be starting caliber is completely reasonable expectations.

I don't know enough about florence to say for sure, but I think thomas and norman will be the starting corners.

only serious hole left is Safety and we at least have a few options there. hopefully an upgrade there is available closer to camp. I'm guessing charles woodson is out of the question.

Posted by: charlottean | Apr 28, 2013 5:53:56 PM

I'm not really excited this year. Love the 1st round pick but beyond that I was disappointed. I understand short as a pass rushing DT but we seriously needed secondary help. Cam needs weapons to help him grow and mature as a passing QB. Only time will tell how these selections pan out. The depth chart hasn't changed much at all has potential nonetheless but not many improvements.

Posted by: Taurus | Apr 28, 2013 5:55:48 PM

You have Senn and Klein backwards (or at least I hope so; Senn's a good STer and a tough player, but he should never be on the strong side given his size).

Posted by: PantherPundit | Apr 28, 2013 5:57:41 PM

I also highly doubt ted ginn beats out every other receiver currently under contract unless we end up riding with only 4 guys and he's the 4th.

I'm not sold he makes the roster. I think smith/lafell/hixon are solid 1-3 but that's not guaranteed. If gettis is healthy, he could absolutely be in that mix and both pilares and edwards have better offensive skill sets than ginn. hard to imagine adams makes the roster with this much competition and still having munnerlyn and adding ginn/barner/hixon to that mix.

really though.....there's no guarantee hixon makes the roster either. He's 28 years old with 2 seasons of value on his resume. He seems like the likely candidate as the #3 guy, but that's no locked up for him.

Posted by: charlottean | Apr 28, 2013 6:34:36 PM

Was thinking after the Star pick we'd maybe get up to 8 wins this year. But with the following Hurney-esque rounds and seeing this chart I'm sticking with 6. This team just isn't that good and hasn't done enough to get better while the rest of the division has. Excited for 2014 though!

Posted by: Fred | Apr 28, 2013 7:08:35 PM

Posted by: Fred | Apr 28, 2013 7:08:36 PM

Nothing close to Hurney-esque. Clearly our new GM believes that you win up front. I recall Jimmy Johnson saying the same thing--you must be strong up the middle on offense and defense....Panthers now have an identity with our front seven on defense. The key to this draft is hoping the OG pans out to be a starter

Posted by: goodmedicine | Apr 28, 2013 8:15:29 PM

It blows my mind that we had top 10 D last year and just got better. Our offense is a top 5 offense at least 2011 we were and have the same offense and people believe we have so many holes and are not that good. What the hell are people watching. It has been said time and time again Chud and Rivera held us back by running the read option into the ground. How many games did we lose with the lead in the 4th quarter. Nothing to donwith talent. This maybe the most talented in Panthers history this season and if you seen that your just watching the local 6 oclock news.

Posted by: 10-4!! | Apr 28, 2013 8:18:35 PM

*if you dont see that*
Stats are from ESPN.COM

Posted by: 10-4!! | Apr 28, 2013 8:21:55 PM

As I said yesterday, a big surprise is coming!
We will trade Stewart, maybe for a SS. Also we will add an very good OT to the roster.

If we trade Stewart; our RB corp will be: DeAngelo, Barner, Armond Smith, Tolbert, it looks good for me.

The other pass-catching TE is in the roster right now, his name is Nelson Rosario.

The WR corp will be: Smith, LaFell, Hixon, Gettis, Ginn and believe it or not Edwards!!
Why Edwards?? because we will cut Clausen and Edwards will be our 3rd QB and we will use him in some "fantasy plays".
I really love Lamont Bryant, but I don't think he will make the roster (unfortunately).

All of you are forgot DJ Moore as a CB, for sure he will make the roster (Florence, Norman, Thomas, Munnerlyn, Moore) an +++average CB corp, we don't need more!

I'm really excited with this team.
Hopefully Ron Rivera and all the coaching staff improve the playbook and calls. This is the real concern in my point of view.

Posted by: Rockdrigo | Apr 28, 2013 8:37:36 PM

I was pretty pissed after the draft,but as time goes on I get less and less mad. It kinda makes sense to me now. The only thing I am mad about now is that we didn't take a safety with so many chances to get one and we took Kugbila over Barret Jones out of Alabama. But after assessing what they did I can see a trade coming sometime in the near future.

Posted by: Drew | Apr 29, 2013 12:00:08 AM

Yikes, the secondary is very scary. And I'm kind of concerned about oline depth. Go Panthers!!

Posted by: Tj | Apr 29, 2013 2:07:55 PM

I've been a Panther ever since JR & TBradshaw announced it in the copter when the franchise was awarded.So chern,this is the best talent this team has ever had!!Aye nay sayers,we didn't have a problem scoring last year,it was stopping them from scoring.Let's see..2013NFL Draft the Panthers take 2 "hog mollies"...

Posted by: 93Panther | Apr 29, 2013 4:08:49 PM

I actually agree that if the front 4 can hold blockers/pressure the qb....that our back field will be sufficient. not great....not shut down anyone but...i think they'll be fine. i think as bad as munnerlyn was a couple years ago....he's still an above average nickel...Norman will be a Gamble like corner sooner than later...he just needs to limit the big mistakes and keep people in front of him. let's not forget he was a rookie coming from Coastal Carolina....it takes time. all the other CBs are ok but not great. our big hole in my opinion is the saftey spot that they are now betting on between Mitchell/Nakamura (who I still hold out some hope for)/DJ Campbell.....but in this pass happy league....if they can just keep plays in front of them I don't think every team will be able to keep up with our offense.

Now speaking of offense...

I actually think we are overloaded. while we don't have the WR opposite smitty, I'm fine with Olsen being our primary 2. They're def overplaying this Hixon/Ginn pickup as well. I think Gettis and/or Pilhares if healthy should get the first look...those dudes have really shown flashes of real potential. Lafell is steady but unspectacular. There is a huge need in the next year or two....but not immediately. While I love Double Trouble...there is just too much there for the cost. I'd def try and get something for Stewart. But it'll be hard given both guys contracts....we are overpaying on both of them, and given that it's a pass first league now....they're isn't a team in the league that'll pick up their contracts. so we're stuck with them.

One other note....while I don't think armanti is a starter or even that good....i actually do think keeping him on the team as a 3rd qb/special package player would make more sense than keeping Clausen.

I'm optimistic. not extatic. i've seen worse teams on paper overachieve and make good runs. the real question marks for me isn't with the roster, it's how well they live up to their potential (obviously), as well as injuries. I'm normally a glass is half empty kinda guy....for some reason I'm seeing this year (and the future) of this franchise in a different light. i'm seeing them as "glass half full". a few lucky breaks and we could be really really good. of course i'm biased....but i'm very much a realist as well. every team has needs. but ours' are managable. Ginn (as KR/PR) and the drafting of Star/Short fill major needs and makes us better. Here's hoping the coaches have learned something as well....

Posted by: Clay | Apr 30, 2013 11:08:39 AM

Nakamura should be nowhere near this depth chart. He should have been given the boot after that meltdown vs. ATL. Put Lester in over him, or for that matter, Tebow. Anything is better than Nada-mura.

Posted by: manu4t | Apr 30, 2013 11:55:02 AM

love the post by clay.

agree with just about everything. edwards over clausen, pilares/gettis over hixon/ginn, etc.

only disagree is about the "pass first league" and "we need to move stewart". I think the whole pass first league mentality is a sheep thing. the guys who go out and do what nobody else is doing win because everybody is gearing up for a pass first league. If we have a run first offense, and we're the only ones........we'll be exposing the weakest parts of almost every team that has geared up for their nickel package to be on the field every down. we hit them with 2 and 3 tight ends and power running mixed with play action and SOME option style QB runs......it will work. that has been proven time and time and time again. a team with good defense and good ball control/running game wins. That's the game.

We would have been in the playoffs both of the last 2 years playing john fox football. 3rd and long draw plays win football games, true story.

3rd and long sacks and turnovers do not.

Posted by: charlottean | Apr 30, 2013 1:57:41 PM

I agree....I HOPE this pass first thing is just a fad. however...teams like NE and GB have proven over the years that running the ball isn't as necessary if you can fully utilize your TEs (NE) and have the WRs to implement the pass happy offense. (GBs 4 main WRs over the years have been better than all of ours minus smitty). but the "new" NFL and their "new" rules have been more of a benefit for the passing game.

either way as i stated. i'm hopeful...and think we're moving in the right direction. Gettleman has the pedigree. and anyone who thinks otherwise just needs to look at the rings he got with NY and DEN

Posted by: Clay | Apr 30, 2013 6:24:01 PM

Please do not have Josh Norman as a starter. He is awful. Wonder why we played better on defense towards the end of last year after Norman was nowhere in sight on D? We had all types of random corners playing for us and they were all better than Norman. Norman is terrible and coaches better see that or it will be their last yr. Can't address all the wholes in one draft but our secondary is one of the worst in the league.

Posted by: EP | May 1, 2013 10:21:00 AM

ok, firstly, if i were the Panthers, Armanti Edwards or Joe Adams need to go. no need for them as they arent great WRs and they arent needed for punt returns due to Carolina having Ted Ginn Jr. and Barner. the panthers should have a strong front 7 now, however, if the pass rush doesnt get to the QB quick, then QBs will easily beat the secondary. Mitchell isnt a great starting safety and the corner opposite of Norman was a backup for a reason.

Posted by: mitchell | May 1, 2013 10:23:07 AM

Cam is the only QB we need. I want to have his babies! Definetly agree Armani needs to go!

Posted by: MP ASU 2003 | May 1, 2013 10:44:03 AM

Any players bought any full page ads in the Observer yet?

Posted by: big gulps | May 1, 2013 1:39:06 PM

I looked at everybody's comments, here what makes sense!! We WENT 7-9 LAST YEAR AND WITH THIS ROSTER WE COULD BE FINE EXCEPT MY CONCERN IS WITH O-LINE!! GROSS IS STARTING TO DECLINE. BUT HERE IS WHAT I THINK, CB DRAYTON FLORENCE WILL START AND NORMAN WILL START, THEY WILL KEEP MUNNERLYN IN NICKEL PACKAGES CAUSE IS GOOD AND DJ MOORE SS WELL. DOMENIK HIXON will START OPPOSITE OF STEVE SMITH CAUSE HE IS A BURNER AND TOOK OVER LAST YEAR WHEN HAKEEM NICKS WAS INJURED AND HE HAS MORE EXCELLENT SPEED AND HANDS THAN LAFELL. I also think they will use KENJON BARNER ON THURD DOENS, SCREENS AND PASS PLAYERS, WHICH USING HIM LIKE DARREN SPROLES/PERCY HARVIN TYPE PLAYMAKER!! I think A.J. Klein will start sometime this season cause I don't trust BEASON'S HEALTH!!! OUT OF THE UDFA PUCJS I LIKE ALABAMA SAFETY ROBERT LESTER!! TO ME NO SAFETY COULD DO WORSE THAN HARUKI NAKAMURA, HE TRULY TRULY SUCKS, HE HAS LEARNED NOTHING FROM ED REED!!! OUR D-LUNE WILL DOMINATE: LOUTELELEI, SHORT, EDWARDS,JOHNSON AND HARDY, YEAH WE WILL BE SO BEASTY UP FRONT!!

Posted by: Will Brown | May 4, 2013 11:02:01 AM

oh, something I realized (by reading) is that most seem to like Gettis, why??? he cant stay healthy!!! I want the Panthers to cut him too. in my book the starters should be LaFell and Smith with Hixon, Ginn backing up and Pilares and Gettis fighting for a roster spot while Edwards and Adams look for work. Sorry, but Edwards is a bigger bust than Clausen and Adams fumbles too much. Ginn is a PROVEN return man which is why he stays.

Posted by: mitchell | May 7, 2013 10:11:48 AM