« Rivera: Offseason workout communication best it's been in three years | Main | Atlanta QB Matt Ryan is all smiles with a Luke Kuechly jersey »

May 31, 2013

Cam Newton ranked 46th overall on NFL Network's Top 100 players

Current players around the league voted Panthers QB Cam Newton as the 46th-best overall player in the National Football League.

In an NFL Network special revealing players 41-50, Newton fell from his 40th-overall spot in 2012 but is still ranked among the top-10 quarterbacks in the league.

The video features Tampa Bay DT Gerald McCoy talking about how elusive Newton is, and Denver CB Champ Bailey said Newton looks how you want your quarterback to look.

Then they took a look at why Newton fell six spots rather than moving up. His numbers from his Offensive Rookie of the Year campaign were slightly worse in his second year while the oft-heard questions about his maturity were also raised. (Read here about how Newton wants to be one of Carolina's captains.)

Newton is the third, and likely final, Panther to be named on the list. Coming off his Defensive Rookie of the Year season, LB Luke Kuechly is ranked 79th and WR Steve Smith is 84th.

Among quarterbacks, Newton beat out San Francisco's Colin Kaepernick (81), Detroit's Matthew Stafford (76), Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger (61) and Seattle's Russell Wilson (51). New York's Eli Manning is ranked ahead of Newton at No. 42.

With Newton being in the top-10, and looking at the list of quarterbacks who haven't had their name called, it's likely that Newton is the 10th-ranked quarterback.

--Jonathan Jones

Posted by Observer Sports on May 31, 2013 at 10:15 AM | Permalink

Comments

The 10th rated QB is about right. Forget the "captain" nonsense. He will not get that title and does not deserve it.

Posted by: I care not | May 31, 2013 11:27:08 AM

Cam's proven to me (up to this point) that he's ready to be an elite QB. He had a bit of a sophomore slump, but it didn't last an entire season and he finished strong - stronger than his rookie year. I was a critic when we drafted him, but I've been impressed.

Posted by: Authority | May 31, 2013 12:14:19 PM

How can you be the QB and not be the captain of the team? He will be captain whether you so-called fans like it or not.

Posted by: Jimmy | May 31, 2013 12:19:25 PM

Being a Quarterback and being a Captain do not ultimately go hand in hand. Being a captain of your team means you've earned it and everyone looks to you for answers when your team or teammates face obstacles, on or off the field. Cam just hasn't earned it yet, but I think he'll earn it this off season. He deserves it in my opinion. And if this team wants to get to the next level, they'll need to rely more on Cam's leadership. Gross and Smitty have been pretty much the mainstays at Captain. I think that might change this season. I also would love to see Kuechly get the nod for Defensive Captain.

Posted by: Elliott | May 31, 2013 1:01:05 PM

Jimmy and all the other Cam jock sniffers are sure an odd bunch. He has shown nothing to deserve a "C". He is "me" first, second, and third. When he learns that in the NFL greatness is measured by wins and titles, not stats, he can begin to repair his image. As is he can't grasp the fact that this is a TEAM sport.

Posted by: I care not | May 31, 2013 1:05:00 PM

I care not,

What are you talking about? Such a dumb argument that greatness is measured by wins and not stats. This guy has won titles at two different colleges and is breaking records left and right trying to win games for the panthers. We have the 12 ranked offense because of Cam, he's accounted for 62 touchdowns in 2 years? How can you score 62 touchdowns and not be trying to win games? It doesn't make any sense.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 31, 2013 1:37:21 PM

"He is "me" first, second, and third" Can you please explain to me how a quarterback is "me first". You complain that he only cares about "his" stats. I'm not sure if you even watch football. How in the world can Cam's stats not affect everyone else. Receivers stats are measured in receiving yardage. Well if Cam has good stats then guess who else does as well!! And please don't talk about his number of carries. Cam is not the play caller. People get caught up in what they hear others say instead of forming their own opinions. Who on this post actually knows Cam and is actually qualified to speak on if he values his own stats above anyone elses?

Posted by: "I care not" makes no sense | May 31, 2013 1:41:52 PM

I Care Not must not watch alot of Panther football. If he did, he would realize that the block head that used to be upstairs in the booth called all those running plays and if I'm not mistaken, as someone else said, in order for receivers to get their "stats", a QB is going to get his. If Chud would have utilized the stable of RB's they had, Cam wouldn't have had to carry the offense and put up all those "me first" stats. Sometimes I wonder if some of these fans even watch any games. Just be happy that the Panthers have a QB capable of carrying the offense on his shoulders, there aren't too many other teams out there that can say that. Heck, even the golden boy RG3 needed the NFLs 2nd leading rusher.

Posted by: Mike W | May 31, 2013 2:08:04 PM

Cam shouldn't be Top 15 QB's or in top 50 players. His accuracy is horrible and he can't read the name on his jersey let alone defenses.

Posted by: shane | May 31, 2013 3:21:26 PM

I'm sure that's the truth right? Horrible accuracy? He's only thrown more than Peyton at this point of his career. I'd sure like to see the list of the 15 QB's that should be taken over Cam.

Posted by: Shane's a joke | May 31, 2013 3:52:46 PM

Charlotte and the Carolina's had better get ready for a Super Bowl, because we got a WINNER in Cam Newton.

That boy can flat out play football.

Posted by: Countryboy JJ | May 31, 2013 4:13:32 PM

cam is a captain like it or not,mybe hejudt needs to improve in some of the duties,but cant we all improve lets get behind him and hope it goes well

Posted by: frank | May 31, 2013 5:02:25 PM

Posted by: frank | May 31, 2013 5:02:25 PM

Give 'em hell, Cam. Go Panthers!

Posted by: wes mantooth | May 31, 2013 10:37:25 PM

Cam Newton will soon be a captain. He is an elite QB and the panthers are darn lucky to have him. Top ten right now is about right, I look for the ranking to be higher after what project to be a great year for Cam and the Panthers.

Posted by: jeff3 | May 31, 2013 10:43:49 PM

i care not is a f'ing racist 'aints fan.

Posted by: Hugo Panther | Jun 1, 2013 12:59:51 AM

I believe Cam will eventually be a captain. But for now he still has a lot of maturing to do before he can be the de facto leader.

Posted by: Hopeful | Jun 1, 2013 7:34:04 AM

I wish I could see him encouraging his team mates and lighting a fire under them but for now all I see is him moping on the sideline or sitting alone. He is a good QB but you have be the leader also. Hope that develops.

Posted by: Hopeful | Jun 1, 2013 7:38:57 AM

After seeing this guy for two years in the professional ranks, I'll say the guy has great legs but he will never be a championship quarterback. He just doesn't have the accuracy or the leadership skills.

Posted by: Tony | Jun 1, 2013 8:40:52 AM

Tony , seriously ? You can confidently say that after two years Cam doesn't have what it takes, especially after finishing strong late last year the way that he did... Thank god you weren't the Colts GM after Peyton Mannings Sophomore season... Meanwhile other young or rookie QBs who rode their defenses to the playoffs, and had strong o-line play along with dual WR threats and a potent running attack do have what it takes ? Watch how teams gameplan for these rookie QBs like RGIII and Kaepernick after having a full off-season to make modifications and scheme them and tell me they won't struggle at some point in their sophomore seasons. Cam needed a couple years to develop accuracy and leadership skills... He hasn't had the talent playing up to his level or quality coaching needed to take it to the next level. This year we should have it provided everyone stays healthy. Thank you Dave Gettleman.. But just amazes me you're just so sure Cam is going to fizzle out. Cam is going to put it all together this season , and people like yourself and all the other haters will be saying how you knew he would be great all along .. smh

Posted by: Shaun NJ | Jun 1, 2013 10:21:56 AM

I am so jacked about this season.... However based on the clip of Gross playing around with Cam while talking with media and Cam kind of acting whiney about it, pretty sure needs to do some more Maturing to be a captain.

Posted by: 10-4!! | Jun 1, 2013 12:03:21 PM

IMO.

Posted by: 10-4!! | Jun 1, 2013 12:05:21 PM

not a whole lot of 24 year old captains anyways. there's a reason.

let's not over analyze everything.

Posted by: charlottean | Jun 1, 2013 2:51:09 PM

Go Cam and Go Panthers!!!! I think we season ticket holders are going to get our $$$$ worth this year!!

Posted by: Kyle82 | Jun 1, 2013 4:50:31 PM

With a 13-19 overall record and NO playoff's on his resume WOW! how over rated can you get?

Posted by: Soulja Boi | Jun 2, 2013 1:54:33 PM