« Kasay retiring as a Panther | Main | Storify: John Kasay's retirement news conference »

May 07, 2013

Done with finals, Newton back in Charlotte

In addition to lecture halls and weight rooms, Panthers quarterback Cam Newton saw a lot of Interstates 85 and 20 this offseason as he shuttled between Auburn and Charlotte.

At his “school pride” event Tuesday morning at Memorial Stadium, Newton said he didn't want to be a hypocrite by preaching the value of education without a college degree.

Returning to Auburn this semester, while juggling the Panthers' offseason workout program, made for a busy schedule the past few weeks.

But Newton said he wanted to be at Bank of America Stadium as much as possible for the voluntary workouts.

“Showing my face only two or three times a week for my teammates to see, but at the same time going back to school was important,” Newton said Tuesday. “I was trying to stretch my appearances out to a degree. Being here in Charlotte, then driving back to Auburn, then driving back to Charlotte on multiple weeks was very challenging.”

Newton indicated he had dropped a few pounds this offseason while working out with a personal trainer in Auburn. He also said he had to work in the classroom after returning to campus following a two-year absence.

Newton, who took his final exams last week, said his toughest class was criminology.

“Finals were finals. My critique of a final is no different than yours. It's never fun. But at the same time you have to prepare the right way, similar to a game,” Newton said.

“It was very challenging this semester to go back to school, being that I was out of school for two years. Being in a controlled setting where you just can't leave when you want to as many times as you want (or) blurt out whatever you want to blurt out. You had to go in class with a nice frame of mind, be able to take notes and turn in assignments.”

As for the Panthers' offseason program, Newton said he was pleased to see new receivers Domenik Hixon and Ted Ginn at the workouts.

“Those guys have been making an impact already in OTAs, coming with a mind frame to work,” Newton said. “And having the mentality, the outlook we have had with people showing up to OTAs, really meant a lot to this organization and also to the coaches.”

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on May 7, 2013 at 12:48 PM | Permalink

Comments

WAY TO GO CAM! I LOVE YOU!!

ASU 2003
mp

Posted by: MP ASU 2003 | May 7, 2013 2:08:07 PM

Cam,
you give the Panthers hope. Hang in there, we have a GM who knows what he's doing now. The Panthers WILL turn the corner soon. Dont listen to the negativity on WFNZ, none of those idiots and hosts of shows ever played football in their lives.

Posted by: Frank | May 7, 2013 2:31:17 PM

It's nice he is keeping his options open as his miserable performance on the field may give him lots of time to look in the near future. The guy throws almost twice as many picks as TD's, wins only a 1/3 of his games, and is an all around poison in the locker room. As a true Panther fan, I can't wait until this joke of a "man" is done with his rookie contract so he can run off to a location where his "Star status" will be appreciated.

Posted by: CantTouchThat | May 7, 2013 2:38:42 PM

"CountTouchThat" should be "CantDoMath".

Posted by: Yep | May 7, 2013 2:50:50 PM

Jealousy makes some people say the darnest things.

Posted by: Fan | May 7, 2013 3:00:00 PM

Over the last 2 years, Cam has thrown 40 TDs to 29 INTs. Granted, he can do better with the interceptions, but that's clearly NOT a 2 to 1 ratio (INTs to TDs)...a TRUE panther fan would know that... LOL!! All the guy has done is break records during his first 2 years. It's not his fault that we had a GM who really didnt know what he was doing.

Posted by: MGR | May 7, 2013 3:04:04 PM

Hey Joesph,

If you're going to do a story about an traveling back and forth between school and your job, know where the locations are and how to actually get there. You tend to look like you don't have a clue when you don't do research.

Auburn is a straight shot on I-85. You don't get on I-20 unless you are going to B'ham or Tuscaloosa.

As for Cam; one of my semesters of grad school I worked full time in Charlotte, and went full time to Auburn (not online, on campus), so I can relate to how tedious and tiring the commute back and forth can be every couple of days. It takes a toll. Glad he stayed focused!

Go Panthers, War Eagle!

Posted by: J. | May 7, 2013 3:06:21 PM

Can we find a way to let him stay? The Panthers are better than him, always will be. The franchise sold out its history of taking stand up guys with the pick, and we have been paying for it ever since. He is a failure. No two ways about it.

Posted by: I care not | May 7, 2013 3:08:25 PM

"I broke down game tape of EVERY throw Cam Newton made last year and he had some struggles the first part of the year. But the last 8 or 9 games of the season, Cam Newton was OUTSTANDING. People kind of took him off the radar but I think you're going to see the renaissance of Cam Newton this year"
- Ron Jaworski

Posted by: Nat Turner | May 7, 2013 3:11:02 PM

Great point Nate. "Jaws" did his homework and came to the conclusion Cam was indeed on fire. Consistancy comes with experience. Give him a chance to grow, haters!

Posted by: Hardrocker | May 7, 2013 3:50:12 PM

Hey Joe. If Cam got on I-20, he was clearly lost. From Charlotte he wouldn't have to get off I-85. But thanks for trying.

Posted by: Chromedome | May 7, 2013 6:27:14 PM

Hey J and Frank,
I smell a couple of updykes bammers who's butts still hurt from 2010 when he stuck it in you. The anger belies the fact that he obviously awoke something deep in your subconscious that you just don't want to admit to yourself. It's ok, we all know how hard it can be to be honest with ourselves. Just embrace it - you'll be much happier I promise you.

Posted by: Glen | May 9, 2013 1:46:19 PM