May 23, 2013
Five impressions from Panthers OTAs
Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin had a great quote earlier this week.
When asked if anything stood out to him at organized team activities, Tomlin said, "Not at all. Football in shorts."
Thursday marked the third day of OTAs for the Carolina Panthers, and the first day that was open to the media. No player really made a case to move up the depth chart today, but there were still some impressions to be had.
So, in list form, here are five impressions I have from the Panthers third day of OTAs.
1. Corners made plays: Veteran corner Drayton Florence made a nice over-the-shoulder interception on a heave from Cam Newton to Brandon LaFell. It wasn't really a live-action play since most everyone had already stopped before Newton chucked it, but it was still a nice grab.
Later, on a pass intended for Ted Ginn Jr. down the sideline, second-year CB Josh Norman made a spectacular diving interception, hitting the ground hard without pads and getting the wind knocked out of him.
2. Beason participated: I figured LB Jon Beason would stretch and then be on the sideline for most of the time. Instead, the Pro Bowl linebacker participated in individual workouts before being replaced at strongside by newcomer Chase Blackburn. After practice, Beason ran 20 50-yard wind sprints.
3. 89 still competitive: Ron Rivera said WR Steve Smith has looked like he's 25 again during OTAs. Rivera said the veteran wideout has been diving for balls--something the coaching staff isn't wild about. And even though we're more than three months from Week One, he still shows his frustration when the ball doesn't come his way.
4. Stewart very limited: Coming off ankle surgery this offseason, RB Jonathan Stewart was "very limited," per Rivera. He stretched, but then went to the other field and worked out on the bike alongside WR Lamont Bryant and CB Captain Munnerlyn, who was suffering from an abdominal strain.
5. Chandler switches sides: Last year, Nate Chandler came up from the practice squad late in the year to help on the defensive line. On Thursday, he was wearing a blue jersey, which is reserved for offense. With the additions to the defensive line, specifically the interior of the line, Chandler had to move to the other side of the ball. Rivera likes him, and Chandler was actually the team's emergency's offensive lineman last season after having played the position for a spell at UCLA.
Posted by Observer Sports on May 23, 2013 at 01:35 PM | Permalink
Sounds like the usual news that we get every year after the first day. Steve Smith's constant yapping and Defensive Backs who only make plays May through August. How about some news on our new defensive interior. Go Cats!
Posted by: Smitty | May 23, 2013 1:59:46 PM
Just wait.. y'all are gonna miss me.
Posted by: Marty Hurney | May 23, 2013 2:24:00 PM
I echo Smitty's comments. We hear this stuff all the time and all too often. Hope the corners perform in the regular season.
And J Stew looked pretty big when I saw him this offseason, almost Tolbert-sized. Hope he's ready
Posted by: Pdiddy | May 23, 2013 2:26:47 PM
Can I play, too??
Posted by: Jimmy "The Pickle" Clausen | May 23, 2013 2:39:15 PM
well damn y'all WILL complain about anything. When the CO DOESN'T report something, youre all up in arms over lack of coverage. The put together some quick bullets and some of y'all STILL find fault. Read these mini articles for what they are. Quick positive news about our beloved Panthers.
We certainly arent going to get any positive stories from NFL.com or ESPN.
Posted by: Mexoplex | May 23, 2013 3:16:52 PM
That's cuz the Panthers SUCK
Posted by: John Fox | May 23, 2013 3:55:05 PM
I make great OTA plays too you guys! Only if I HAD a chance during the season...
Posted by: Armanti Edwards | May 23, 2013 4:13:56 PM
Stewart has got the getting out of having to practice thing down to a science!
Posted by: joe cool | May 23, 2013 4:33:16 PM
Practice? We're talking about practice man, not a game, no not a game. Practice!
Posted by: AI | May 23, 2013 4:45:56 PM
Morons are ALWAYS in season!
Posted by: J. Mixon | May 23, 2013 5:53:34 PM
And Newton....throws another interception. Nice!
Posted by: jt | May 23, 2013 6:31:54 PM
Did Al Sharpton teach Newton to read a defense during the visit?
Posted by: jt | May 23, 2013 6:33:40 PM
And Newton did what......? Right....
Posted by: jt | May 23, 2013 8:00:55 PM
Practice. OTA. Say what? Sign me up cuz!
Posted by: CHUCK WAGON | May 23, 2013 9:02:04 PM
Am I still on this roster? I can't remember.
Posted by: Jeff Otah | May 24, 2013 8:39:09 AM
Remember fan is short for fanatic.....smh cmon people. ..
Posted by: freeze8575 | May 24, 2013 4:25:40 PM
Cam Newton is done after this year write it down!
Posted by: QB | May 26, 2013 12:28:43 PM
This being year 3 for Cam we better make the playoffs ,or I agree he's done here with a new GM ,and Rivera definitely is on notice as well...5yrs for a head coach & QB is long enough no excuses please!
Posted by: Panthers1995 | May 26, 2013 12:37:56 PM
More Panther stuff, please. Been a while. Something...
Posted by: Phil | May 26, 2013 3:46:45 PM
U people are crazy saying cam is done after this season.
Posted by: Cam done? | May 27, 2013 11:12:32 PM
how are we far off from playoffs when we went 7-9 last year where 7 of the 9 losses came down to one play?
and we drafted DT's and retained everyone that mattered and still have cap room to pick up someone that falls off someone else's wagon later.
how do you equate that to being a few years away from the playoffs? this team is stacked. if they are coached properly, 12-13 wins is far from out of the question. blue chip talent all over.
Posted by: charlottean | May 28, 2013 9:39:51 AM
What's all this nonsense about if Cam flounders "again"? Cam hasn't floundered once, you all think it's solely cause of him that we had a 7-9 season but he did just as good if not better than his rookie year. If he gets canned or traded by Carolina they will be throwing away one of the most electrifying players in the league and one of the brightest stars this franchise has EVER had. Cam is going nowhere no matter how bad this team does in 2013. Now the coach is another story...
Posted by: Educated fan | May 28, 2013 10:31:42 PM
The comments to this entry are closed.