« The Broncos, Manning's insurance, cap credit and Jon Beason | Main | Rookie Lotulelei all grown up from high school days »

May 20, 2013

Lists rank Cam Newton as a top-12 NFL QB

Writers from NFL.com and CBSSports.com have Panthers QB Cam Newton ranked among the best quarterbacks in the NFL.

CBSSports.com's Pete Prisco ranks Newton as the 10th-best QB and 67th-best overall NFL player.

"He really came on strong in the second half when the Panthers used less of the read-option," Prisco writes. "I think he make huge steps last season. Some will say this is too high. Watch."

Sessler ranks Newton as the 12th-best signal caller, putting him in a group labeled "The Future, Part II." Sessler puts Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III in the first group and has Newton with Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson in part two.

"Newton -- entering a huge year three -- sits at No. 12 because his physical tools are insane," Sessler writes. "So much pure ability. Cam can chart his fate, for better or worse."

Both lists rank Aaron Rodgers as the top quarterback in the league, and both have Drew Brees and Matt Ryan--two NFC South foes--ahead of Newton.

Is Newton ranked too high? Too low? Agree or disagree with what the writers have to say? Comment below.

--Jonathan Jones

Posted by Observer Sports on May 20, 2013 at 10:33 AM | Permalink

Comments

Rankings are for short attention spans. Just win baby!

Posted by: Fan (Joe Fan to be exact) | May 20, 2013 10:56:30 AM

Heck no, its not too high. Its pretty accurate. He isn't elite yet but as several football analysts have said during the offseason, he made huge strides at the end of last year once the play calling became more run oriented. I've said since day one that he has Ben Rothlisberger potential and even the Steelers don't do well when they put the entire game on Big Ben's shoulders. Cam's play action fake is beautiful! The more the Panthers run the ball effectively, the more you'll see Cam thrive. Furthermore, he's going into his THIRD year. The patience is about to start paying off.

Posted by: Nat Turner | May 20, 2013 11:10:18 AM

Hopefully their list is written on toilet paper as most NFL opinionated lists should be. "That's why they play the game".

Posted by: Crispy Bacon | May 20, 2013 11:13:32 AM

I think Cam being the 10th best QB in the NFL is a fair assesment and quite an accomplishment being that he is entering his 3rd year. Once the wins start coming he will only go higher.

Posted by: Smitty | May 20, 2013 11:29:31 AM

But there are only 32 teams sooooo... Now if he could move from the top 12 to the top 3 or 4 by the end of this upcoming season then that would be something to write about.

Posted by: mresvit | May 20, 2013 11:29:32 AM

Steve Smith ranks him better than Sanchez.

Posted by: big gulps | May 20, 2013 11:36:32 AM

I like the Just Win Baby and toilet paper comments already posted...'Nuff Said!!

Posted by: PSL Owner | May 20, 2013 11:41:34 AM

"I think he make huge steps last season."... Excellent grammar, Mr Prisco.

Posted by: Christian | May 20, 2013 12:07:21 PM

where is i ranked on dat listz?

Posted by: jimmy pickles | May 20, 2013 12:08:01 PM

If Prisco, who is well known as a CAR hater, has Cam ranked that high, I give it a little more credence.

Posted by: manu4t | May 20, 2013 12:29:18 PM

you sir, are ranked 33rd.

Posted by: gary | May 20, 2013 12:32:43 PM

Thats fair..of 32 teams I'd only put (in no order, just as they come to mind):

Rodgers
Brees
Brady
Manning,P
Manning,E
Rothlisberger
Schaub
Ryan
Flacco

I don't think guys like Stafford, Cutler, Rivers, Dalton, Luck, Griffin, Romo, Kapernick are CLEARLY better than Cam..maybe some are a 'push' but not clearly better. A lot of this depends on how much you weigh things like offensive personnel, coaching and defense.

Just my opinion on a slow NFL day..feel free to make fun of it as you will :)

Posted by: Panthers/Hornets | May 20, 2013 12:35:21 PM

Don't forget Armanti.

Posted by: Marty Hurney | May 20, 2013 12:47:31 PM

lets keep it real people, cam is a freak of nature. not often does someone this good and hard working come along. panthers have a gem in this young man. he is the future at that position. ive played this game at every level except nfl. this guy i take hands down every day. hes young and a proven champion!!!

Posted by: jimmy holmes | May 20, 2013 1:12:05 PM

vince young was top 15 a few years ago too.

Posted by: big gulps | May 20, 2013 1:20:25 PM

I would love to see Newton with one of the "top tier" QB's offensive line blocking for him. He'd be sacked and pressured a lot more if it wasn't for his athleticism but he does have more he can improve on.

Posted by: PanthersFan | May 20, 2013 1:34:40 PM

dont agree with Sessler on where Flacco is and i think both Prisco and Sessler is underrating Dalton, but i agree with where Sessler has Cam. it's not too high or low.

Posted by: mitchell | May 20, 2013 2:21:59 PM

I think the jury is still out on Cam, he needs to still prove himself. I still have not seen him bring the team back when we are behind. He has all the skills, the rest is mental and being able to make the team believe.

Posted by: jack | May 20, 2013 3:03:53 PM

I have believed since Matt Ryan was in college that, though he is good, he is overrated. Example: 2012 first game against Atlanta, Carolina had the game won and Nakamura should have made a play on Ryan's late (lob) pass but didn't. He stood there and watched the receiver catch the pass.

Posted by: GerryB | May 20, 2013 3:43:11 PM

One comment OVERRATED..................

Posted by: larry tant | May 20, 2013 4:31:52 PM

If there are any qb's ranked below him that have won divisions and playoff games, then he should not be at number 10...

Posted by: Bob Smith | May 20, 2013 4:44:29 PM

No, 12 is perfect. It makes him want to strive to be better, but let him know he is good and if he takes it serious, is on the path to greatness. 12 out of 32 is where Cam NEEDS to be.

Posted by: mrdlmsr | May 20, 2013 5:13:54 PM

I think he is where he deserves to be. I love him but I have made my official decision on what kind of a player he truly is yet. I think it's hard to be sure about any of the future, "part 1 or part 2." Show me two or three consistent years AFTER your sophomore year and I'll know if you worth the time. Pretty much cam has the physical and even some or more of the intangibles to be one the best in the league. it's up to him if he wants to be the best...but it probably wouldn't hurt to get me a decent OTHER receiver...really really soon.

Posted by: Rauch | May 20, 2013 5:16:41 PM

He had two very good years....he is going to be superb this year and we make the playoffs! He won't be pouting either.

Posted by: Hugo Panther | May 20, 2013 7:22:48 PM

You are putting Luck below Cam but Cam has had more tool's and has not went post season luck is a better QB and i live here in Nc and pull for the panther's I will take lucks thinking over the more athletic cam all day.

Posted by: John Short | May 20, 2013 8:22:35 PM