« Greg Hardy expanding his social media reach | Main | Hardy remains a no-show at Panthers' OTAs »

June 05, 2013

McClain wants to show Panthers made a "terrible mistake"

Before Dave Gettleman began collecting defensive tackles in Carolina, former general manager Marty Hurney used the Panthers' two picks in the third round of the 2011 draft on defensive tackles Terrell McClain and Sione Fua.

Fua is still in Charlotte. McClain is in Houston, trying to make the Texans' roster and show the Panthers they made a “terrible mistake” in cutting him last fall.

McClain told Dave Zangaro of CSNHouston.com this week he “absolutely” wants to prove the Panthers wrong.

“Every day I come out here and try to get better, trying to prove myself, that they did make a terrible mistake. Everything happens for a reason,” McClain said.

“I don’t really want to harp on it. Whatever happened, happened,” McClain added. “The fact that it did happen, I can’t really complain. I ended up here in this great organization. I’m thankful for what they did, letting me come here that I can prove myself and can be in the NFL.”

McClain, the second player drafted by the Panthers in 2011 after Cam Newton, started 12 games as a rookie before spraining his left knee. But he did little with his opportunities, making 20 tackles and registering just one sack in those 12 games.

At the time of his release, McClain was the highest-drafted player from 2011 to be cut.
He went a month without work before New England signed him. The Patriots waived him a week later and he wound up in Houston a month later, logging 21 snaps in three games in the Texans' 3-4 scheme.

McClain said there was a little added pressure as the first player drafted in the third round in 2011.

“A little bit, but not as much as if I were in the first round,” McClain told CSNHouston.com. “I put pressure on myself to strive because I know I have greatness in me. I just have to show it on the field.”

He has to show more than he did in Carolina.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on June 5, 2013 at 06:01 PM | Permalink

Comments

McClain has already proven that the Panthers made a terrible mistake....by drafting him.

Posted by: William | Jun 5, 2013 6:54:44 PM

Williams...

painful, but so true. you can still get an impact player at 67th pick. McClain made NO impact.

However, in 2 seasons the 2011 draft class has had very little depth and very little impact outside of the 1st round and a half.

Posted by: mitch | Jun 6, 2013 12:28:01 AM

After all of that scouting, all of that homework, all of the free ability to conduct interviews, watch workouts, study film...

How could the Panthers be so inept?

Posted by: Dirty Birdy gets shot down | Jun 6, 2013 12:47:54 AM

Ineptitude, Hurney be thy name.

Posted by: Sports don | Jun 6, 2013 8:24:56 AM

Was he released solely on lack of production or was it something behind the scenes? I always wondered why they cut ties so soon.

Posted by: Harvey | Jun 6, 2013 9:49:07 AM

Yes please Mclain prove us wrong. The numbers speak for themselves buddy.

"But he did little with his opportunities, making 20 tackles and registering just one sack in those 12 games.
When Buffalo released veteran DT Dwan Edwards in its final roster cuts last September, Hurney cut ties with McClain to make room for Edwards. Edwards responded with six sacks, the most by a Panthers defensive tackle in 10 years."

Mclain would have never registered those numbers. If any team would take Mclain over Edwards, they need to re-evaluate a few things.

Posted by: Hugo | Jun 6, 2013 10:07:24 AM

The history of the NFL is littered with players who were very good, tried very hard, but weren't good enough to play at this level. McClain sure looks like one of those to me.

Posted by: MTBinDurham | Jun 6, 2013 1:37:19 PM

Maybe he should have worked harder to prove the Panthers were right to draft him.

Posted by: John | Jun 6, 2013 2:21:36 PM

We just opened a chain in Houston and he really wants to stay

Posted by: Krispy Kreme | Jun 6, 2013 3:33:32 PM

this was a classic case of we had to cut a guy before giving him a chance to prove himself because we NEEDED a veteran in there.

if ron edwards hadn't missed the last 2 years, mcclain would probably still be on the roster. they had to make a difficult decision between he a fua. fua won. simple as that. doesn't make the draft pick wrong.

how is it a horrible move by hurney when he's the same guy that signed edwards to replace him? sounds like a guy doing his job and making the tough calls to me. not like mcclain was 1st round pick.

Posted by: charlottean | Jun 6, 2013 4:50:45 PM

If McClain stays in Houston for any length of time it will be a miracle. He can't play at the NFL level. Sounds like he is blowing smoke up someones behind in Houston. I have heard this phrase all my life, Houston we have a problem, and yes you do, it's: McClain!

Posted by: officer jim | Jun 6, 2013 9:19:53 PM

For all the non-believers, let start with "lock-out", "no OTA's", "2-weeks traning camp", "starter-12 games"! He must have been doing something right. Fua didn't start one game. Others drafted are given time to develop with the team even if there is a injury, he wasn't. Look at all the injuries on the Panther roster last year and who is still there not making an impact. All it takes is one team to believe in you and give you the opportunity. Ask Tebow...first round pick...that's a bust!!

Posted by: Tina | Jun 7, 2013 9:52:28 AM