« Panthers general manager: Time for Cam Newton to win | Main | TE Brandon Williams off to good start at Panthers camp »

July 30, 2013

Panthers sign TE Zack Pianalto, waive Nelson Rosario

The Panthers bulked up their tight ends position with a new addition Tuesday.

Carolina signed former University of North Carolina tight end and third-year player Zack Pianalto on Tuesday while waiving TE Nelson Rosario, the team announced Tuesday afternoon.

Rosario spent all of the 2012 season on the Panthers roster, but head coach Ron Rivera said recently he liked Rosario, a former UCLA wide receiver, as a pass catcher but he struggled to hold up at the point of attack.

At 6-foot-4, 250 pounds, Pianalto brings both size and pass-catching abilities to the Panthers tight end group. He grabbed four passes for 40 yards for Tampa Bay in 2011, appearing in 13 games for the Bucs.

Greg Olsen and Ben Hartsock are 1-2 on the Panthers' depth chart at the position, and Pianalto figures to compete with undrafted rookie Brandon Williams at No. 3. Williams has shown some great athleticism, but the former basketball player has struggled at times this camp with being in the right spot at the right time.

--Jonathan Jones

Posted by Observer Sports on July 30, 2013 at 04:04 PM | Permalink

Comments

Picking up Zach for Depth is Nice..

Posted by: Robert | Jul 30, 2013 5:14:09 PM

Go Heels!

Posted by: CHill | Jul 30, 2013 6:07:21 PM

I can't wait to see how this season will go!

Posted by: Kirsten Hanna | Jul 30, 2013 7:01:55 PM

I realty liked Rosario...he was a gifted pass catching tight end. Smh

Posted by: Taurus | Jul 30, 2013 7:29:38 PM

Are you guys keeping up on the drama going on with first week opponent Seattle Seahawks? Big deal receiver Sidney Rice is in Switzerland having a non surgical procedure done on his knee (I'm thinking stem cell, but what do I know?) but won't miss any games, and even bigger deal receiver Percy Harvin is having surgery on his hip and won't be playing for at least half the season. And you think a new third team TE is a big deal.

Posted by: Ray | Jul 30, 2013 10:45:16 PM

Let Seattle worry and write about Seattle.

Posted by: Star | Jul 30, 2013 11:31:36 PM

Man, I'm a panthers fan. I just couldn't possibly care any less about the seacocks. Thx.

Posted by: Your mom | Jul 30, 2013 11:34:12 PM

Man, I'm a Panthers fan. I just couldn't possibly care any less about the seacocks.

Posted by: Your mom | Jul 30, 2013 11:35:37 PM

The "Seacocks" (that's funny, BTW) are your first weeks opponents so you damn well better care. If you have dreams of making the playoffs you can't depend on two wins against JAC, a week two win against BUF, and home wins vs. TB & NYJ to get you there. Get your heads out of your butts and pay attention to the big picture silly boys.

Posted by: Ray | Jul 31, 2013 1:13:52 AM

Seriously Cat fans, I wouldn't expect you to keep up on all the comings and goings of some random west coast team 3,000 miles away and in a different division, but the Seahawks are your week one home field opponent. If you're going to get the season off to a good start you have to win this game. Be honest with yourselves, there aren't that many easy wins on your schedule. You have to win the close ones and this is where it starts. Either be interested, or go to the bathroom and spend time playing with yourself.

Posted by: Ray | Jul 31, 2013 1:34:34 AM

It's about five weeks too early for me to start concerning myself with the Seahawks. Post about them on August 30th after the Panthers' last pre-season game and you may get more interest.

Posted by: emlit | Jul 31, 2013 7:45:41 AM

Settle down Ray.

I think most of the Panthers losses last year were more the Panthers losing than the other teams winning. We gotta focus on ourselves right now, improve our own game, the things that we can control.

I don't watch ESPN's DramaCenter 24X7 to track injuries, off field shenanigans, and all the other sports related garbage going on around the globe. I'll leave that up to you and other "diehard sports fans".

Posted by: big gulps | Jul 31, 2013 9:43:39 AM

taurus,

nelson rosario is/was not dante rosario.

Posted by: charlottean | Jul 31, 2013 9:51:06 AM

Yeah, I kinda like it that ESPN doesn't talk much about the Panthers publicly. Keeps our aura of mystery intact. Yes, WE lost some very close games last year, but I really look for major improvement this year. We know what we did wrong and darn it, our new GM has done his level best with what he had/has to make it better. From the majority of the things I've read, we have a new maturity that we haven't had before. Hope that proves muster for us. Willing to wait and see who makes the final cut and then we will have a team to recon with.

Posted by: Ali | Jul 31, 2013 11:17:18 AM

Kinda interesting - ESPN does a story on Cam's third season and Gettleman's comments and has no current footage to show. I guess Charlotte and Spartanburg are the only media outlets interested in the Panthers. Being this far under the radar frightens and excites me. Maybe it's just me but Hernandez isn't as exciting as 32 NFL teams training camp news.

Posted by: Tony | Jul 31, 2013 12:41:53 PM

Rosario showed some flash as a receiver, but most times it was like he wasn't even on the field. Good hands, pretty decent speed, but MIA 75% of the time.

Posted by: Rob | Aug 1, 2013 10:30:11 AM

At charlotttean, in well aware of that. I'm talking about former UCLA Bruin Nelson Rosario. I thought highly of him. Could have easily been the #2 TE on The team IMO.

Posted by: Taurus | Aug 1, 2013 12:04:31 PM

I thought he could have been a good fit but old well that's how it goes. Next man up.

Posted by: Polk58 | Aug 1, 2013 8:11:01 PM

I live in Carolina but pull for the saints. I would like to see a nc professional sports team that could win. You guys talking shit about Seattle when I guarantee some of you were fans of Russell Wilson, when he played here on Raleigh for a winning college football team, is hilarious. Carolina going all the way is a joke. They have one of the toughest divisions in the league.

Posted by: josh | Aug 2, 2013 3:20:00 PM