« Video: Jonathan Jones: Ted Ginn Jr. shines in Panthers' preseason finale | Main | Panthers release veteran CB Drayton Florence »

August 31, 2013

Panthers release QB Jimmy Clausen

Jimmy Clausen will be looking for a new employer after three years with the Carolina Panthers.

Clausen, the former second-round pick and starter on the 2-14 2010 team, was cut by the Panthers on Saturday morning. The news, first reported by NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, was all but confirmed by Clausen on his Twitter page.

The news comes as little surprise. Panthers GM Dave Gettleman has a background with the New York Giants of keeping two quarterbacks on the roster, and though Clausen played well in training camp, Derek Anderson's job as primary backup to Cam Newton was never really in question.

Carolina also needed the roster spot because of injuries to other positions on the field, most notably the offensive line. Clausen has been inactive for the past 32 regular season games, and his spot on the 53-man roster would be better served on a healthy offensive lineman rather than an inactive quarterback.

Clausen finishes his three-year career at Carolina with a 52.5 completion percentage, three touchdowns, nine interceptions, 33 sacks, nine fumbles and a 1-9 record in 10 starts.

This preseason, Clausen went 14-for-25 for 119 yards, zero touchdowns and zero interceptions. Clausen played behind a third-team line with third-team receivers for most of the preseason, and Ron Rivera said Thursday night he would have liked to see more from Clausen with a better supporting cast.

"The unfortunate thing for Jimmy he’s working in with the third and fourth guys and that's always tough so you always have to take that with a grain of salt," Rivera said. "He made some good throws and threw a nice back shoulder to James Shaw. It’s just, you wish you could present him with some better opportunities as far as the guys on the field with him."

--Jonathan Jones

Posted by Observer Sports on August 31, 2013 at 09:48 AM | Permalink

Comments

Never heard this guy bitch and moan. Shows a lot of class. Should received a congressional award for surviving during the 3-14 season. Many times I thought he was dead but he got up and took another hit. Not a starter in NFL but MANY teams could use him as backup and upgrade from what they have.

Posted by: Dennis B | Aug 31, 2013 10:05:22 AM

He was a class act but really sucked as an NFL QB

Posted by: Bull123 | Aug 31, 2013 10:18:41 AM

Jimmy Clausen handled his difficult situation in Carolina with dignity and class. There are always second chances in life and he will get that chance with another team. I do not believe that he is a starting NFL QB but he can make another team as a capable backup. I hope and pray he gets that chance and that he does well. Farewell to Jimmy...as a former Panther.

Posted by: Whitecomet77 | Aug 31, 2013 11:10:09 AM

Just another in the long line of awful draft pick busts by the Panthers.

Posted by: Marcus | Aug 31, 2013 11:17:42 AM

AMEN......

Posted by: nasty704 | Aug 31, 2013 11:19:12 AM

Mel Kiper draft expert idiot!

Posted by: joe cool | Aug 31, 2013 11:27:33 AM

Funny to me that he (and others) get the playing with third string guys as an excuse for not making plays. Yet a guy like Anderson looks like an All-Pro QB when put out with back-ups. If you can't make the plays it doesn't matter who you are on the field with. Clausen can go join Leinhart, Carr, and the McCown brothers in the NFL Cut Day QB Club.

Posted by: Sports don | Aug 31, 2013 11:44:22 AM

Jimmy was drafted into a bad situation!! A team that was rebuilding, a coach about to be fired, and a lame duck GM!!! A team that was horrible at the time, he never had a chance really. Wish him the best! He's a decent guy and will get picked up somewhere.

Posted by: Good Luck Jimmy | Aug 31, 2013 11:48:31 AM

Buffalo and the Jets could use someone healthy to play for a little while. Suspect he should be able to land somewhere.

Posted by: Not the worst out there | Aug 31, 2013 11:59:25 AM

Never showed anything. Weak arm , moves like he has lead boots on and quakes in those heavy boots anytime he gets near the goal line. Sorry - now finish the task by getting rid of Armati Edwards. Oh - he looks good in camp - please! Only 2 breaks he has made as a pro he got run down from behind! Fast guys have to go into that magic gear once they get away to take it home - (see Ted Ginn the past 2 weeks?). Edwards needs to go to the arena league or the CFL. No way he is half as good as Ginn, Hixon or even Gettis. B

Posted by: td1315 | Aug 31, 2013 12:08:09 PM

You're clueless

Posted by: bluecountry | Aug 31, 2013 12:26:47 PM

Somethings I will agree with. Not a strong arm - Ridiculous !! As for Armanti, If he gets his reps and the ball is thrown to him, He will make a believer out of a lot of folks who don't know a football player when they see one. Wait and see!!

Posted by: Paul | Aug 31, 2013 12:36:30 PM

Best of luck to Jimmy, and I mope he catches on with some other team.

Posted by: Hugo Panther | Aug 31, 2013 12:37:45 PM

got a lot better this year. significantly.

i used to hate having the guy on the team and he made it at least DEBATABLE between he and anderson.

cleveland, san diego, buffalo, new york, oakland, jacksonville, etc all look like possibilities for him. mind blowing to think he might deserve a shot with them. definite improvement.

Posted by: charlottean | Aug 31, 2013 1:17:55 PM

Jimmy Clausen is a class act. Wish the best for his future.

Posted by: msthiker | Aug 31, 2013 1:22:51 PM

Young Jimmy Clausen worked hard to get better each and every day in each and every way. And that stupid repetitive expression has now spread, like a particularly disagreeable fungus, throughout the entire team. I've heard Cam use it. I've heard other players use it. And I'm so tired of it.

But now that Jimmy's gone away, perhaps "each and every day" will be something nobody else will ever say, in any kind of way. Good day!

Posted by: archie | Aug 31, 2013 1:40:31 PM

Jimmy came in with a lot of expectations, failed miserably, but took it like a man. Hope he gets another shot elsewhere. Will he succeed? No, because he's still terrible. But at least he will know it just wasn't to be.

Posted by: Original Panther Dan | Aug 31, 2013 1:46:54 PM

Clausen came into a bad situation, but worked hard, and handled whichever knocks came his way - and there were many these past three years, from linebackers, fans and commentators - like a true professional. I don't know if the NFL is his future, but wherever Jimmy Clausen ends up, somebody is getting a class act. Best of luck, Jimmy.

Posted by: Joseph | Aug 31, 2013 2:36:28 PM

I am just gonna miss calling him Pickles

Posted by: dennis | Aug 31, 2013 3:59:14 PM

Class act, good luck in the future.

Posted by: fayettebill | Aug 31, 2013 4:04:34 PM

Cam Newton won't be a PANTHER is 4 years...

Posted by: blackspeak | Aug 31, 2013 4:24:39 PM

I've been a fan of Mr. Clausen's for ages. His biggest problem while in Carolina? Two-fold. A) He had an offensive line which was so fluid in transition that he never had a cohesive unit from which to work behind. It should also be noted that Coach Fox had, I believe, 87 men on active roster that year as compared to the normal 55'ish, counting IR's, etc. It's nearly impossible to field a bonded team with that many new starters every week. So I definitely don't blame Mr. Clausen for the year which was. I also do NOT see Coach Fox as the issue either. That brings me to B). This offensive situation and coaching staff is not as conducive to Mr. Clausen's abilities, which I still contend are many, NOT few and far between as many on here have stated. I can say without hesitation that IF I owned a team, I would want Mr. Clausen to be an active part of the situation. I can also guarantee he would see an extensive amount of playing time as well. Bottom line, when I acquire the Panthers, it's my hope Mr. Clausen is still available for rehire. If not... then all I can say to Mr. Rooney or Mr. Wilson, is woof, woof, woof you dirty dogs. (I say with a Gentleman's laugh.) The point? They would jump on a man like Mr. Clausen. The skills are there; he's not going to go without work for long. Regards: Huskers86

Posted by: Huskers86 | Aug 31, 2013 4:29:08 PM

Clausen is decent. He will make it when he plays behind a decent line.

Posted by: willy loman | Aug 31, 2013 4:30:25 PM

Clausen should consider getting into an assistant coaching position.

Posted by: Crane | Aug 31, 2013 4:34:08 PM

Let it be known: I would gladly (and will, if the situation presents itself) make a move to acquire the team, even at this hour of the season. The Owners know who I am... If Mr. Richardson is open to it, let's finalize it this weekend. A couple of you know My helper... send the plane and have that one bring the checkbook. To Mr. Richardson, it's NEVER been me who's scrootched any of this up. And finally: DOD clearance exists and IS being used for the advancement of a 'fixture'. IT REALLY irritates me. I may be wrong, but I see this as a massive ethics issues, but seemingly no one cares. Last and this. I suppose I'm already on the 'fine clock', but so what. Cheating is cheating; and that's that. Also is/was one who pushed for P&P to do PA work of the Fellow's. You who were against it and know the weave of the basket know exactly as to what I refer. I'm ready; willing; and beyond able to do this, even at this hour. Regards. Huskers86

Posted by: Huskers86 | Aug 31, 2013 4:44:56 PM