« Panthers release QB Jimmy Clausen | Main | List of Panthers final roster cuts »

August 31, 2013

Panthers release veteran CB Drayton Florence

According to a league source, the Panthers have released veteran cornerback Drayton Florence, who for nearly all of training camp and the preseason took first-team reps at cornerback.

Florence, an 11-year veteran, joined the Panthers in March as an unrestricted free agent. He solidified his role in the defensive backfield one week into training camp.

Florence held down that starting role through the preseason, with his best game coming in the third exhibition against the Ravens where he picked off a Joe Flacco pass and returned it 71 yards for a touchdown.

For those reasons, the move is somewhat surprising. But Carolina's secondary has stepped up this preseason with 10 interceptions, which led the NFL in the preseason. Josh Thomas and Josh Norman have played well at cornerback, and Norman racked up a preseason league-high four INTs.

--Jonathan Jones

Posted by Observer Sports on August 31, 2013 at 09:51 AM | Permalink

Comments

I personally wish Drayton Florence well in his future. This is not the ending that I expected but I appreciate his play for the time I have watched him on the field. This is not a happy time for me for as a Panthers fan I love The Panthers as a whole & this is like losing one of our very own & I can not rejoice in it. I pray you gain employment else where!
Thank You for your playing in the uniform!

Posted by: Minister William Aaron Berry IIII | Aug 31, 2013 10:16:28 AM

Very surprising move. Not sure what the plan is.

Posted by: Grand Pubah Bishop Leroy James | Aug 31, 2013 10:28:07 AM

Looked old and slow to me

Posted by: Me | Aug 31, 2013 10:40:46 AM

I do not understand this move by Gettleman at all. Florence did not play that badly and its leaves a void in the secondary of veteran leadership. This sounds more like one of Gettleman's Kugbila bust moves to me. A real head scratcher. We shall see what happens on Sept 8th vs Seattle. The jury is still out on Gettleman and Rivera.

Posted by: Whitecomet77 | Aug 31, 2013 11:15:23 AM

Florence was on this blog's original projected final roster, so with this cut does that mean Anderson Russell may make it? I've been impressed with Russell, especially on ST.

Posted by: Rick | Aug 31, 2013 11:16:46 AM

Just going to trust Gettleman at this point. He has been making the tough choices required and the team is in much better shape than when he arrived. Roster has to hit 53, so guys have to go. Probably going less than 53 so they can pick up an offensive lineman or new CB on waivers. Interested to see how it plays out...

Posted by: mattaditchew | Aug 31, 2013 11:27:50 AM

couldn't tackle an old lady!

Posted by: joe cool | Aug 31, 2013 11:30:47 AM

I wish Florence all the best as well. The reality was that Florence struggle in space against quality CBs, so he wasn't that much better that the young CBs we had on the roster. Both Josh's outperformed Florence this preseason. The $1 million in salary saved will be used toward re-signing Greg Hardy. It wouldn't surprise me to see both Josh's starting with Cap or DJ Moore in the nickel.

Posted by: Steven H. | Aug 31, 2013 1:16:23 PM

Let's remember that performance on the field is the major, but not the only, part of an NFL player.

Posted by: Yonse | Aug 31, 2013 4:04:09 PM

Not a smart move at all. Even if you want to go with the youngins, the veteran presence in Florence is invaluable, especially in the locker room as well as the film sessions.
Rivera either finishes 10-6 this year or he's getting cut at the end of 2013. After the sad performance I witnessed in 4 preseason games from this Offense, Rivera better start packing his bags.

Posted by: NO More Seatcushions | Sep 1, 2013 9:43:12 AM

The jury is still out on Gettleman? Did you really just type that? If they don't finish the season above .500 Rivera is gone and gettleman will get a solid coach to take this team to the next level. Gettlesmans RINGS speak for themselves, you tool

Posted by: Eric D.B. | Sep 4, 2013 1:22:55 PM