« Stewart running well; Panthers eyeing his return | Main | Hardy misses second practice, Panthers expect him back Friday »

October 02, 2013

Carson Palmer: Hardy's hit was legal

The NFL thought Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy's hit on former Oakland quarterback Carson Palmer last season was deserving of a penalty flag and a $25,000 fine.

But the guy who sustained cracked ribs and a bruised lung on the play said Hardy's hit was clean.

"I do definitely remember it, and I probably won't forget it," Palmer said Wednesday during a conference call with Charlotte media. "He got me good. I gave him an opportunity to get me. I don't think it should have been a flag. Those kinds of hits now, just because they look pretty gruesome, get flagged. But it was a legal hit and my own fault for not getting rid of the football."

Palmer, who will face the Panthers again this week in Arizona, was dropped late in the first quarter on a blind-side hit from Hardy after rolling out of the pocket, stopping and setting his feet to throw.

Hardy had a running start when he Palmer in the lower back, and was called for unnecessary roughness for leading with his head. Palmer left the game and missed the Raiders' season finale the following week.

"I remember looking up at the big screen inside that stadium and it didn't look too good," Palmer said. "It looked good for him, bad for me."

Hardy, coming off a three-sack game against the Giants, missed Wednesday's practice after showing up at the stadium with a fever. Panthers coach Ron Rivera said the training staff sent Hardy home with medicine.

Hardy is expected to play Sunday.

--Joseph Person

PANTHERS_RAIDERS_19
Oakland Raiders (3) quarterback Carson Palmer is hit by Carolina Panthers (76) defensive end Greg Hardy during first quarter action on Sunday, December 23, 2012 at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, NC. The hit resulted in a 15-yard penalty on Hardy for roughing the passer. Carson did not return to action. The Panthers defeated the Raiders 17-6. Jeff Siner - jsiner@charlotteobserver.com

Posted by Observer Sports on October 2, 2013 at 03:57 PM | Permalink

Comments

The Kraken has a fever ??

Posted by: big gulps | Oct 2, 2013 4:19:25 PM

The Kraken ain't got no fever - he's just HOT!!!

Posted by: Yuppa! | Oct 2, 2013 4:32:58 PM

"Hardy had a running start when he Palmer in the lower back, and was called for unnecessary roughness for leading with his head. Hardy left the game and missed the Raiders' season finale the following week."

These sentences need to be re-written.

Posted by: H-Town | Oct 2, 2013 4:37:39 PM

Should read, "Palmer* left the game and missed the finale..."

Posted by: josh | Oct 2, 2013 4:38:06 PM

That sentence did leave me confused. I thought maybe I had a fever or had been hit by the Kraken.

Posted by: big gulps | Oct 2, 2013 6:05:09 PM

Palmer being nice so Hardy DOESN'T RACK HIM AGAIN SUNDAY!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a Panthers fan - big time - but that hit was dirty. Leading with your helmet into a guy's back? Why would you do that? You don't have to break a guys ribs just to tackle him. Greg should have had his head up looking for the ball to create a fumble.

Palmer won't say that though....

Posted by: Dom | Oct 2, 2013 6:44:20 PM

Kraken has a fever??? Don't you think we need to know these kinds of things? That deserves and article by itself. I mean, it's great that Carson Palmer got hit last year and all, but umm... Can you please tell us who's running witht the 1's in the secondary? Is Barner getting reps? Is Silatolu back to 100%? We still running with Chris Scott at RG? Anyone else affected by this "fever" illness??

The people need to know JP!!

Posted by: Terence | Oct 3, 2013 10:59:34 AM

The people need to know JP!!

Posted by: Terence | Oct 3, 2013 10:59:35 AM