« Panthers sign C Brian Folkerts and WR Marvin McNutt | Main | Dwan Edwards still sidelined »

October 09, 2013

Olsen expects to play vs. Vikings

Panthers tight end Greg Olsen's injury looks worse than it actually is.

Olsen has been walking around this week with a protective boot on his left foot -- even wearing it to Wednesday's practice, which he did not participate in.

But Olsen expects to increase his activity level at Thursday's practice, and plans to play in Sunday's game at Minnesota. Olsen said he injured his left foot during the Week 5 loss at Arizona, but did not indicate how it happened or the extent of it.

"It's all right. I'll be fine. It's more precautionary. I should be able to do some more stuff tomorrow," Olsen said Wednesday. "I don't expect to miss any time."

Olsen, the Panthers' leading receiver with 21 catches for 273 yards, has played in 98 consecutive games -- the third-longest active streak among tight ends behind Jason Witten (160) and Tony Gonzalez (107).

"I've been pretty fortunate over the years injury-wise. Things like this, you just try to work through and deal with. I've played with worse, so I'm not to worried about it," Olsen said.

"I take a lot of pride in playing a lot of games without missing. A lot of it's luck. A lot of it's preparation. There's a lot of factors that go into it. I expect to keep it going on Sunday. We'll see."

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on October 9, 2013 at 03:57 PM | Permalink

Comments

In other breaking news the Panthers fired the waterboy.

Posted by: Panther 4life | Oct 9, 2013 4:30:46 PM

one of the best on the team

Posted by: big gulps | Oct 9, 2013 4:41:48 PM

I have ?s for this coaching staff !
When CHUD was our offensive coordinator we averaged 38 points a game,Do we still have that playbook, We must have game film footage of that year,Why can`t we start running the same style offensive plays that CHUD drew up, Hell the players most likely still remember them. All I`m saying is it worked and we were a high scoring team on offense, We just did`nt have the defense then to stop other team from out scoring us BUT WE DO NOW!!!!!FOOD FOR THOUGHT????

Read more here: http://scottfowlerobs.blogspot.com/2013/10/blame-offense-for-this-one-panthers-get.html#storylink=cpy

Posted by: joe | Oct 9, 2013 4:43:00 PM

What difference does it make. Do we expect the Panthers to win anyway? Every week I expect a choke artist to show up at the worst possible moment and every week I get it......The only hope I have is that Gettleman will right this ship and put together a football team that can actually win a close game.

Posted by: Smitty | Oct 9, 2013 5:33:16 PM

When will we start using our other TE Brandon Williams? I think the offensive philosophy needs to be changed similar to what the broncos are running. Quick slants and screens. Cam doesn't need the ball in his hands more than three seconds unless he's running.

Posted by: Taurus | Oct 9, 2013 6:15:07 PM

How about we start mixing in more 2 TE sets - never did understand why we got away from that, it worked well under Chud.

Posted by: ATLPanther | Oct 9, 2013 7:31:49 PM

With Julio Jones out for the season, the ATL games all of a sudden can be put in the winnable category. 9-7 will be wildcard territory for NFC this season, but Panthers have to put together 3 W's this month to be in that hunt. Turnovers are key.

Posted by: bill | Oct 9, 2013 7:50:56 PM

When does the arena football season begin ?

Posted by: Grumpy | Oct 10, 2013 8:35:30 AM

joe i can only assume you were speaking in hyperbole....

we averaged 22 points last year and 25 the year before.

we average 18.5 thus far this year. but we have a positive point differential.

Posted by: charlottean | Oct 10, 2013 9:57:07 AM