October 23, 2013
Dwan Edwards out vs. Bucs; Stewart shooting for Falcons game
Panthers running back Jonathan Stewart will make the trip to Tampa Bay, but will not play Thursday night against the Buccaneers.
Panthers coach Ron Rivera said Stewart has looked good since returning to practice this week, and the goal is to have him ready to play against Atlanta on Nov. 3.
Stewart has been on the physically unable to perform list since the preseason following offseason surgeries on both ankles. His right ankle is the one that has most bothered Stewart.
In other injury news, defensive tackle Dwan Edwards will miss his fifth consecutive game with a hamstring injury, Rivera said.
Pro Bowl wideout Steve Smith was a new addition to the Panthers' injury report after having his ankle stepped on during Wednesday's practice. But Rivera said Smith would play against the Bucs.
Special teams contributor and backup safety Colin Jones missed his second consecutive practice to attend to personal matters, but Rivera said he would be available for Thursday's game.
In a personnel note, Rivera said he has not decided who will start at the cornerback spot opposite Captain Munnerlyn. But based on his comments, it sounds likely undrafted rookie Melvin White will replace Josh Thomas, who was beaten deep twice last week against St. Louis.
Posted by Observer Sports on October 23, 2013 at 12:57 PM | Permalink
PLEASE start White over Thomas. Thomas constantly gets beat every game.
Posted by: D.W.G. | Oct 23, 2013 2:24:38 PM
We need to win this game big, show some consistency.
Posted by: big gulps | Oct 23, 2013 3:17:09 PM
How about TRADE Stewie for a WR that can help us make an impact NOW. He's done nothing in years, and now is taking 8 weeks to come back from injury!? D-lo has better rythm without splitting carries anyway. We won't be better with him, but could still get value for him now.
Posted by: handyman | Oct 23, 2013 9:22:50 PM
Stewart will be available hopefully for the November/December stretch... I'd be surprised if DWill and Tolbert can carry the load for 2 more months and stay effective, or doubt both could manage to avoid at least a minor/moderate injury (hamstring).
Posted by: bill | Oct 23, 2013 10:32:18 PM
Looking forward to seeing the defense. Mitchell, Mikell, maybe Lester.. and Captain. If the front 7 are "on", this could be a long night for the Bucs... They'll have nearly a week and a half after this game to heal up, so they might as well "leave it all on the field" in Tampa.
Posted by: bill | Oct 23, 2013 10:38:09 PM
this dude said we "won in SPITE of delhomme"
effing incredible the revisionist history - fantasy world some of you live in. you might want to run back the tape. the game winning drives, the accurate passing. the balls to make plays when plays were needed.
statistically? his yards per attempts and completion % were on par with drew brees and top 10 during that era and his win loss was ELITE (something like 53-37 which is one of the better all time for a starting QB). his touchdowns were diluted by all of our rushing touchdowns and field goals during that era but you look at points vs. turnovers (which is what really matters) and the guy got it done better than almost anybody. and that's why we won. he knew when to take risk and when to throw the ball away.
he had 1 bad game to end his run here and you guys forget everything he did the 6 seasons leading up to that? eff outta here. that guy was a ball player. deserves a statue. only a fair-weather fan would think otherwise.
all that "4 in 18" talk and yet you ignore that 3 of the 4 were during delhomme's 6 season run. coincidence? coincidence that was during hurney and fox's tenure too? and you all wanted those guys gone too.
but yeah.....a late round pick is definitely good value for an all-pro middle linebacker who's probably going to be wearing a C on his chest for the G-men for the next 5 years. great value for damaged goods.
let's see who else we can give up on....godfrey anybody? what about steve smith since he's old? or deangelo williams since all of you wanted to dump him this offseason even though stewart was out and williams look great last year. way to not be smart guys.
Posted by: charlottean | Oct 24, 2013 10:48:46 AM
Team hasn't had a winning record since 2008 but Booney still has the nerve to hold up local tax payers....shame on him.
Posted by: NASTAR99 | Oct 24, 2013 12:17:31 PM
he brings in money for the local economy. unlike the knights baseball will.
that stadium brings in the ACC championship and the Belk Bowl and MAJOR concerts and conventions.
he isn't "holding up" the local tax payers when he has the option to go to LA and get a brand new arena for free. especially not when he didn't "hold up" the tax payers the first go round.
the knights walked away with 40 million for free for a stadium that can only fit 5k for MINOR LEAGUE baseball. no tourism income there, nobody is traveling from durham or charleston or columbia or greensboro to see the knights play. they have minor league baseball there too. only thing that 40 million did was take a great developmental plot of land and ruin it, give a private business enough in their budget to spend several million on an elaborate score board (completely necessary), and allow the team to charge more for admission to charlotte residents than to the fort mill residents who were coming to the games before. best believe they won't be driving into town for minor league baseball....
they'll drive in for NFL football though.
Posted by: charlottean | Oct 24, 2013 2:03:26 PM
Someone forgot his meds today.
Posted by: kurt | Oct 24, 2013 5:18:35 PM
Post a comment