« Panthers evaluating Stewart's progress | Main | Video: Jonathan Stewart talks about his return »

October 14, 2013

Greg Hardy: I could beat LeBron in a 1-on-1 basketball game

In case you’re new here, Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy makes it on this blog for not just his play on the field, but his comments off it.

Last year he called Atlanta kicker Matt Bryantso small and weird-shaped.” Before the season he said his goal for 2013 was 50 sacks.

I knew Hardy was once a basketball player at Ole Miss, and I knew he thought of himself as a pretty good one. I wanted to see how he thought he’d stack up against LeBron James, the reigning NBA MVP and considered by many to be the greatest active basketball player on the planet.

Below is a transcription of our 2-minute conversation, while he was wearing a camo Miami Heat hat, no less.

Q: If you went 1-on-1 with LeBron who would win?

A: How should I answer this question? ...I would dominate that dude. Hands down, guaranteed win. And that’s my favorite player.

Q: Why?

A: I’m a beast

Q: He’s pretty good too, though.

A: What’s your point? Everyone says he can go to the NFL and play defensive end, who says I cant go to the NBA?

Q: I’m not saying you can’t. I’m asking, why do you feel so confident that you’d beast LeBron James in a game of 1-on-1?

A: I’m not saying I would beast him, but I would definitely win. I got a good shot, I got good handles, I got good size (6-foot-4, 275 pounds). I feel that we match up pretty well. I was a defensive player in college.

Q: Doesn’t he have about four inches on you? (LeBron is 6-foot-8, 250 pounds)

A: Maybe. I got like a 39-inch vertical. I’m a little bulkier too. But nobody knows I got hops.

Q: Didn’t you dunk on an 11-foot goal this summer? (Editor's note: It was a 10-foot-3 goal.)

A: I got drastic hops. I feel I have a lot of the same tools he has and it would come down to who was the better basketball player.

Q: If y’all played to 11 by ones, who would win and what would be the score?

A: I would still win. Probably 11-9.

Q: Oh, so it’d be a tight game?

A: Yeah, it would be a tight game. I’m not saying I would dominate him. That was a joke. I feel like I’d definitely win. I think there’s a game there. I don’t think that I’m trash and I don’t think that he’s trash. I think it’d be two dominant athletes playing and I’d come out on top.

--Jonathan Jones

Posted by Observer Sports on October 14, 2013 at 04:36 PM | Permalink

Comments

That would be fun to watch, I wasn't aware greg hardy played basketball in college. I doubt he could stop Lebron from blowing buy him though. Also, with the height difference, and Lebrons vert, it would be hard for Hardy to contest his shot.

Posted by: Macdabluepanther | Oct 14, 2013 4:56:57 PM

I thought drugs were a no no during the season?

Posted by: TRADECAM | Oct 14, 2013 4:59:51 PM

lol! Typical Greg Hardy talk. This kid believes he can do anything. Including getting the Panthers to open up the checkbook. Let's see him accomplish that under the new Gettleman regime!

Posted by: Smitty | Oct 14, 2013 5:01:23 PM

greg hardy says dumb ish all the time and the reporters and idiots just eat that up like it's entertaining.

i
do
not
get
it.

i'd be more entertained if he had a few more sacks.

Posted by: charlottean | Oct 14, 2013 5:36:22 PM

Sacks are overrated .....this dude is dominant and I like the fact he's confident ....who wants some lame duck on their team who believes the other team is better.....maybe you guys were jockriders in school....but as an athlete you always feel youre the best (until proven otherwise).....he is a competitor and only you who have sat on the sideline your whole life wouldn't understand that....but as a athlete myself I understand what he's saying

Posted by: chris | Oct 14, 2013 6:15:14 PM

sacks aren't overrated at all.....it's just hurries/hits are undervalued. tackles for loss are same as sacks in my book.

but there's a big difference between ALMOST getting there, and getting there.

charles johnson's value is through the roof because he gets the sacks but he forces fumbles too. he got robbed of a touchdown against arizona that definitely changed the complexity of the game for us. and he's done it for 3 straight years since becoming a starter. hardy has last year.

hardy's been playing good.....but him saying dumb ish all the time isn't entertaining.if he has that much left over energy, dude needs to be playing tight end too.

Posted by: charlottean | Oct 14, 2013 7:29:58 PM

Hardy got the pressure on Sunday that left TD unblocked on his 2 sacks.

Posted by: Rob | Oct 14, 2013 8:24:38 PM

OK with this article you all have confirmed this dude isn't too bright!!!!!

Posted by: Confirmation | Oct 14, 2013 9:21:45 PM

rob - not on both of them. matt kalil was standing there by himself not blocking anybody on one of them. i don't know about the other one, but if we're giving credit for that, then sacks should be a team stat only. and they aren't. for a reason.

the guy did NOT play bad. he hasn't played bad this year at all. i'm not saying that. nobody should. he is getting pressures and he is hitting the quarterback and he is containing the run and moving the pocket, etc. our defense has been great and he's part of that.

but the guy says dumb ish every day and the observer writes it up like its gold and idiots come on here talking about krakken this and krakken that. it's not at all humorous or entertaining. and ultimately, if this dude is going to get paid like johnson....he needs to produce results beyond just his presence like johnson. and shut the eff up like johnson.

Posted by: charlottean | Oct 14, 2013 10:45:07 PM

This is almost as worthless as the Geoff Hangartner piece you wrote praising his play the day before he got cut.

Posted by: Jason | Oct 15, 2013 6:54:42 AM

^^^ hilarious

Posted by: big gulps | Oct 15, 2013 9:19:51 AM

almost? i mean stiff competition but....

Posted by: charlottean | Oct 15, 2013 11:35:48 AM

Dang - you guys don't get Hardy at all... The man has a dry sence of humor and is laughing like crazy at all the people on here who took him serious. I do think he has BB game - no doubt about that - but he knows he can't beat LeBron...

Posted by: Dom | Oct 15, 2013 2:49:48 PM

WOW...come on guys...turn your sarcasm meters back on!! If you cannot tell that entire interview was tongue and cheek then something is wrong!!

Posted by: Peach | Oct 15, 2013 3:11:23 PM

Dear Greg Hardy,

Why did you reject the 4 year $32 Million offer?

Sincerely,

Loyal Panther Fans

Posted by: Jeff Otah | Oct 16, 2013 8:40:21 AM

dom & peach - i think you hardy supporters are a bit dense.

EVERYONE KNOWS HE'S CLOWNING.....it's just not funny.

Posted by: charlottean | Oct 16, 2013 10:07:05 AM